Author Topic: Tour du Mont Blanc - 2020  (Read 2216 times)

myxpyr

Tour du Mont Blanc - 2020
« on: 11:47:10, 16/06/19 »
I know it's some way off but I could be looking for a buddy for the TMB next year. A word of warning though. My pace is slow for comfort. Last time I did part of it I sauntered along and was quite happy doing a leg in two days that the guide book said could be done in a day. For instance: Courmayeur to Rifugio Bonatti in two days with one night at Rifugio Bertone(which I regarded as a "rest day" anyway)
Any other old farts up for it? Minimum age is 70 ;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Tour du Mont Blanc - 2020
« Reply #1 on: 19:47:56, 16/06/19 »
Hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc is for me, always tempting, I've done it anticlockwise starting at Les Houche and I stayed and ate in the Refuge Bonatti, a fantastic setting, hot sunshine and had a great time. The second time I hiked clockwise from Chamonix and just ate there. I camped around the back, up the hill. This time it was pouring with rain. I erected my tent at the Bonatti and carried it to a very nice area of grass, I got a bit wet but not enough to stop me sleeping well. Going on this hike again so far ahead in time is for me I'm afraid just too far ahead. I've got to get through 2019 first. If it's still your plan next year and you know which month and dates please suggest it again.

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 19:51:48, 16/06/19 »
If it's still your plan next year and you know which month and dates please suggest it again.
Will do, thanks for response

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 20:51:40, 16/06/19 »
im off to do it in 2 weeks, I cant wait! Im going solo with my tent

myxpyr

« Reply #4 on: 20:55:52, 16/06/19 »
im off to do it in 2 weeks, I cant wait! Im going solo with my tent
Have fun and enjoy. If you fancy a rest day in Courmayeur with a night of luxury I can recommend the Hotel Bouton d'Or. Not vastly expensive and quite central

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:17:39, 16/06/19 »
Enjoy it, it's a great route. For me the only important decision I had to make was when I got to Champex, to do the northerly route to go over the mountain pass. I chose the northerly route the first time and the pass the next time.

Are you starting at Les Houche and hiking the route anti-clockwise?

I've just watched your video and enjoyed it. The film quality was very clear, do you use a special camera and because your filming was steady have you a 'gizmo' with you to stabilize shudder and so on?

dank86

« Reply #6 on: 21:22:44, 16/06/19 »
Have fun and enjoy. If you fancy a rest day in Courmayeur with a night of luxury I can recommend the Hotel Bouton d'Or. Not vastly expensive and quite central

I am having a rest day there I booked a hotel a while back fairly cheap, will be nice to put my feet up for a day lol

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 21:25:41, 16/06/19 »
Enjoy it, it's a great route. For me the only important decision I had to make was when I got to Champex, to do the northerly route to go over the mountain pass. I chose the northerly route the first time and the pass the next time.

Are you starting at Les Houche and hiking the route anti-clockwise?

I've just watched your video and enjoyed it. The film quality was very clear, do you use a special camera and because your filming was steady have you a 'gizmo' with you to stabilize shudder and so on?

I may not be able to do the mountain pass, the snow is melting very slowly this year and is still 180cm deep @ 2500m on the northen side of the mountians, its a wait and see thing (ive got a few of them). Ill be starting at les houches on the anti clockwise route and if you were referring to my video, no I dont use a gimbal

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:35:56, 17/06/19 »
This might be helpful to you? If you plan to arrive in Chamonix first on the train or bus, there is a very nice walking track, on the right-hand side of the river which goes all the way back to the Les Houche train station, the camp site is about 1 mile from there. You just come out of the station, walk ahead into the town and at a roundabout just turn left to get to the walk start.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:40:22, 23/06/19 »
Dank86, I walked from Contamines up toward col de Bonhomme today - all snow from 2085m so I turned round as I'm staying in argentiere so didn't fancy up and down 250m of snow. People coping fine but the melt is on big time so lots of care needed where snow has been undercut. Took the side track to the lakes , wonderful scenery.  Hope you enjoy.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:04:12, 23/06/19 »
I remember the Col de Bonhomme very well. It was a brilliant July day and snow was still there, I could see loads of people above me sunning themselves. The path over the snow was well defined, brown from the mud that people had on their boots. Up I went, the path was compacted and icy and at one point and in an instant, I slipped and went flat on my back! The people on the top immediately gave me a very loud cheer and lots of clapping. So embarrassing!

I reached the top and I was clapped loudly again, people were laughing and having a great time. I stayed as well and watched other coming up and falling over as well, everyone got a loud cheer!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy