Author Topic: Light is right.......  (Read 4282 times)

titaniumdude

Light is right.......
« on: 04:15:46, 31/07/06 »
Except when it's wrong.

Discuss
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

titaniumdude

Re: Light is right.......
« Reply #1 on: 01:52:21, 01/08/06 »
Ok I'll start this one off.  My belief is that the lighter the equipment you carry the better as long as it is good quality and does the job it is meant to.  Sometimes this sacrifices longevity of use, but you make your hiking life easier, cover more ground and often save on pack space.  When I source gear I dont look at the price until I've decided what to buy and then I try and find the cheapest place to acquire it.  Hence paclite waterproofs are in as are ridiculously overpriced titanium cooking pots (hence the handle).  On ther other hand tiny totally lightweight LP cooking stoves are out (cos they dont maximise functionality) and the lightest multi fuel stove you can get is definetely in (primus gravity MF...luverly).  I apply this to my choice of multi day backpack.  Trail magazine (and I know some of you do read it, if you dont, why not?) recently ran a review of packs and rated some berghaus thingy top.  But look at the weight, it is nearly 3kg, a whole kg abve my choice (which came 4th or 5th) the Osprey Aether.  That means I can put my entire kitchen in the pack before it reaches the weight of the number 1!  On the other hand something like the Golite packs are out cos even though they only weigh about 1kg for a 65l pack the back system is not too good and they will only carry up to 30 pounds (god forbid needing to carry more than 30 pounds, but you never know). If I go offroading the pack I use is the Cerro Torre Delta 65L which weighs a massive 4kg empty, but is bombproof and more than up to being chucked out of the back of a land rover at the end of the day (probably be pretty difficult tyo set light to as well).

Any thoughts? 8)
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy