Author Topic: Skiddaw in Feb  (Read 3931 times)

lumix

Skiddaw in Feb
« on: 21:46:30, 15/01/09 »
Hi all,

I am going walking in the Lakes in early Feb (climbing Skiddaw,) and was wondering what type of clothing/rucksack/boots etc I should be thinking of using at this time of the year.  We will be walking for 8-10hrs only.

We should get to Keswick early on the Sat morning, pitch the tent, then set off for the peak. All been well we should be back for tea time then pub, sleep and drive back (to Newcastle) on the Sun morning.

I intend to go hiking on a fortnightly/monthly basis, and try to go higher, steeper and further with the more experience I get, so I want the gear I get to be half decent and last a while.

I joined this forum the other day, and have found it very informative and friendly, but would love some personalised advice on Skiddaw in Jan/Feb from people with experience!

Many thanks
Jon

It's better to aim for the stars and land on the Moon, than aim for the lamp post and end up in the gutter!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Skiddaw in Feb
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:12, 16/01/09 »
This is quite a big subject and it is probably worth having a look through the gear sections for recommendations for jackets, boots, rucksacks, base layers, fleeces, socks, etc. etc. etc. We also had a topic recently on winter walking which may be worth a look.

On the specifics of walking in Feb are you going up whatever the weather, so you will need crampons etc, or are you waiting for a weekend with good weather reports, though they frequently lie!

lumix

« Reply #2 on: 16:13:58, 16/01/09 »
This is quite a big subject and it is probably worth having a look through the gear sections for recommendations for jackets, boots, rucksacks, base layers, fleeces, socks, etc. etc. etc. We also had a topic recently on winter walking which may be worth a look.

On the specifics of walking in Feb are you going up whatever the weather, so you will need crampons etc, or are you waiting for a weekend with good weather reports, though they frequently lie!

Thanks for the reply Ridge,

We will be going up whatever the weather, as it is the only weekend that we can get off together.

I have had a look through previous posts and got some great info, but if I was to get everything which has been mentioned I'll not be able to afford the petrol I need to get me there, and will need a 200kg rucksack to carry it all!

I was just after a basic list of the type of gear that will do me in Skiddaw Feb weather i.e. how many layers (and of what,) will I need water proof gloves, what type of food and that type of thing. I forgot to mention I am a total beginner when it comes to hiking (as if you hadn't already guessed!)

Cheers again
Jon
It's better to aim for the stars and land on the Moon, than aim for the lamp post and end up in the gutter!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:18:33, 16/01/09 »
Jon

There is a good list from Carl here;

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2374.msg13875.html#msg13875

When I say in the linked topic that I would not take a bivvy bag with me this isn't intended as bravado it is because I would certainly not got up whatever the weather and as is rightly pointed out even in OK conditions things can go wrong.

I'm really keen to encourage beginners to go out walking but don't overreach yourself first time out and if you want to go higher each month what are you going to do in the Lakes in June if you do Skiddaw now?

Hope this helps.

Ridge

lumix

« Reply #4 on: 20:20:38, 16/01/09 »
"I'm really keen to encourage beginners to go out walking but don't overreach yourself first time out and if you want to go higher each month what are you going to do in the Lakes in June if you do Skiddaw now?"

Everest!! ;D

Only kidding.

I see your point about June, I suppose I've always tried to run before I can walk.

Thanks for that link, it's answered alot of my questions.

Cheers
Jon

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:07:00, 17/01/09 »
Lots of good stuff there from Ridge which I won't repeat, but it would seem to me that if you're gonna be starting a hillwalking career in the winter then Skiddaw is a reasonable bet. Unless there's hard icy snow around which would need crampons then it's a fairly straightforward fell by the easier routes. The path is pretty clear so in all but the most severe conditions or with lots of snow it should be relatively easy to follow. You should have a map + compass, know how to use them, have studied your route carefully before hand, and be prepared to change your plans if thing's aren't right.

Having said all that, it is a 3000ft mountain, it's winter, and conditions can be changeable. Good warm clothing - hat and warm gloves, waterproof/windproof outer layer for body and legs, decent mountain footwear with a stiff supportive sole would all be needed. I'd take a torch, a map and compass, food and drink, a whistle, a camera, an extra insulating layer of clothing in a waterproof bag, a small selection of first aid items, plasters and like, and an emergency bivvi sack. Above all don't underestimate how tiring a winter walk can be be if you're not used to it. Make sure you're well fed the night before and not dehydrated!

Very snowy or icy conditions should rule out an ascent for the inexperienced, but there's plenty of alternatives in the Keswick area.

If you're in any doubt about your judgement of the conditions when you visit just pop into Needle Sports in Keswick and ask Trevor!

Enjoy
Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk

« Last Edit: 12:12:52, 17/01/09 by Ian s »
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

lumix

« Reply #6 on: 12:44:56, 17/01/09 »
Lots of good stuff there from Ridge which I won't repeat, but it would seem to me that if you're gonna be starting a hillwalking career in the winter then Skiddaw is a reasonable bet. Unless there's hard icy snow around which would need crampons then it's a fairly straightforward fell by the easier routes. The path is pretty clear so in all but the most severe conditions or with lots of snow it should be relatively easy to follow. You should have a map + compass, know how to use them, have studied your route carefully before hand, and be prepared to change your plans if thing's aren't right.

Having said all that, it is a 3000ft mountain, it's winter, and conditions can be changeable. Good warm clothing - hat and warm gloves, waterproof/windproof outer layer for body and legs, decent mountain footwear with a stiff supportive sole would all be needed. I'd take a torch, a map and compass, food and drink, a whistle, a camera, an extra insulating layer of clothing in a waterproof bag, a small selection of first aid items, plasters and like, and an emergency bivvi sack. Above all don't underestimate how tiring a winter walk can be be if you're not used to it. Make sure you're well fed the night before and not dehydrated!

Very snowy or icy conditions should rule out an ascent for the inexperienced, but there's plenty of alternatives in the Keswick area.

If you're in any doubt about your judgement of the conditions when you visit just pop into Needle Sports in Keswick and ask Trevor!

Enjoy
Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the info, some great advice there.

We're going on the 7th of Feb, so will let you know how it went when I get back, and will also stick some pics on the forum.

Cheers
Jon

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:47:55, 17/01/09 »
Yeah, would love to hear how you get on.
Have fun, take care, I hope the weather is kind to you!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Cat

« Reply #8 on: 17:23:11, 17/01/09 »
Good luck with your adventure, wanted to invite you to join us welshies in Snowdonia when you've exhausted the fells, we've got some crackers over here.

lumix

« Reply #9 on: 19:50:08, 17/01/09 »
Good luck with your adventure, wanted to invite you to join us welshies in Snowdonia when you've exhausted the fells, we've got some crackers over here.

Thanks Cat,

A few years ago me and an ex girlfriend went to Welshpool for a week of R&R and had some great walks up to and around Powis castle.

If Snowdonia is half as beautiful as where I went, then I'd welcome the chance to go one day.

Jon

jude

« Reply #10 on: 19:11:23, 22/01/09 »
Now then Mr Lumix,

I hope you won't be venturing out onto the fells in those shorts, I've ben led to believe that the lining has long since perished and there is a problem with ' coming out at the sides'.
I dont think us ladies with delicate dispositions could cope with that as we sit down for our lunch at the Summitt of Skiddaw.
I personaly would get indigestion which would reduce my enjoyment of the whole day.
Take care! ;D :o

lumix

« Reply #11 on: 20:21:50, 22/01/09 »
Now then Mr Lumix,

I hope you won't be venturing out onto the fells in those shorts, I've ben led to believe that the lining has long since perished and there is a problem with ' coming out at the sides'.
I dont think us ladies with delicate dispositions could cope with that as we sit down for our lunch at the Summitt of Skiddaw.
I personaly would get indigestion which would reduce my enjoyment of the whole day.
Take care! ;D :o

You're quite right Jude, I do have a problem with  'coming out at the sides', but only if I'm REALLY exited by the view from the summit!! And the last thing I want to do is put you ladies off your lunch.

Saying that, in this weather you'd need a pretty damn strong pair of binoculars to see anything at all! :-[

Jon ;)

jude

« Reply #12 on: 10:08:54, 23/01/09 »
Hi Mr Jon Lumix,
Help me out with a little matter here ,
do you also have a peep hole pringle ? Sorry but I had to ask , just with you bearing a striking resemblance to Alan Partridge, I'll just know who to look out for (avoid) on the fells!
Bye for now,
Jude  :o :-*

lumix

« Reply #13 on: 10:34:19, 24/01/09 »
Hi Mr Jon Lumix,
Help me out with a little matter here ,
do you also have a peep hole pringle ? Sorry but I had to ask , just with you bearing a striking resemblance to Alan Partridge, I'll just know who to look out for (avoid) on the fells!
Bye for now,
Jude  :o :-*

Alan Partridge? dont see it myself. ;D
And whats a peep hole pringle ? :-\

jude

« Reply #14 on: 11:08:09, 24/01/09 »
Hi Mr Lumix,
In the first series of Alan Partridge he is portrayed as having a fantasy doing some erotic dancing wearing that particular garment.
Personally it's not anything that I would be tempted with , but..........................................
Guess you will be racing for the shops!
Bye for now,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy