Author Topic: Helvellyn - homework help  (Read 2227 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Helvellyn - homework help
« on: 16:19:59, 24/01/09 »
My sons class at school are looking at mountains and for their homework have to research one particular mountain. He has, unsurprisingly, chosen Helvellyn but I am having problems finding average weather conditions. I know that there are people who go up every day to take readings as I have met them but I can not find where this information is available. If anyone knows of a website where we can find this information that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Shell78

Re: Helvellyn - homework help
« Reply #1 on: 19:45:23, 24/01/09 »
Try the Met Office Weatherline and look at the mountain area forecasts. It has the fell top conditions report for Helvellyn and the summit statistics for the day

Hope that helps.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk [nofollow]

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:00:00, 24/01/09 »
The national park have an education department, they're there to help. I was doing a project and approached them for info' and they answered my questions and gave the contact details for local rangers.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 01:30:23, 25/01/09 »
The information is, as snowslider says, published by the LD National Park weatherline on a daily basis.  It follows that the national park office must be recording the data, and the historical records ought to be available to the general public - I would have thought.. They've been publishing the daily forecasts for many years, although I think its only recently that they concentrated on Helvellyn - they used to climb other hills as well eg Scafell Pike.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:05:13, 26/01/09 »
Thanks for your help, I emailed both the Met Office and the Lake District Education Dept. on Sunday and they both got back to me today.

Unfortunately the Met Office say that they do not have weather reports for the top of Helvellyn, and that their nearest weather station is Keswick.
I have emailed them this link
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/lakedistrict.html

The Education Department say that I can find past data on their site but as far as I can tell they only have current information so I have emailed back saying that I am stupid and can not find it, could they help.

Thanks also to Kidstypike. We were looking on Google for a picture of the Charles Gough monument with little success until I thought that there would definitely be a good one on your site that we could 'borrow'.

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:11:37, 26/01/09 »
If its not on Kidstys webpage it cant be in the lakes !!!!  8)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:21:13, 27/01/09 »
Well I must say that the met office reply very quickly.
Mark,

Sorry, but we don't have that data, only Keswick.

Barry

(c) Crown copyright Met Office 2009

R Barry Hall  Climate Enquiry Officer
Met Office   Fitzroy Road   Exeter  Devon   EX1 3PB
United Kingdom

So they pay someone to go up and report every day but don't keep records of the reports? :o

I really thought that I would find the infomation in about 5 mins on Google but it is now becoming a mission.
I have found the details for one of the men who makes the reports and have emailed him.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:47:21, 30/01/09 »
I have found the details for one of the men who makes the reports and have emailed him.

Just to complete this thread the answer, unsurprisingly, was to ask the people who wear walking boots not the ones who sit in offices.

They even apologised for taking 3 days to reply as they had not been going in to the office in Glenridding as the Kirkstone pass was closed for resurfacing.
Out of the tourist season is a good time to do roadworks but I'm not sure I would want to be laying tarmac on Kirkstome in January.

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:42:32, 30/01/09 »
Just wondered.... if this is what you are looking for....?

I often look on the BBC Cumbria site and then click on the weather "fell"  forecast.
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:55:54, 30/01/09 »
That is the report that is linked to by lots of sites.
The problem I had was finding past details for the last year instead of what is happening now.

kirbstones

« Reply #10 on: 16:42:30, 01/02/09 »
Well today (if it's any use) was [censored]*** cold  :o  Got up as far as Red Tarn with Kirbstones junior, had lunch and returned whence we came. Wind SE 4 -5, gusting 6  would say, temp a few degrees below, light snow grains.

You might try http://mwis.org.uk/forecast.php?area=6

The people you really want to talk to are Craig Palmer or Jon Bennett http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/search/3932297.Mountain_men_start_new_season_on_Helvellyn/

Now, who's going to volunteer for tomorrow?
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:05:11, 02/02/09 »
the answer, unsurprisingly, was to ask the people who wear walking boots not the ones who sit in offices.

Jon Bennett was that man in boots, very helpful.

We handed in the homework at school this morning. I suppose it is appropriate to have to walk through 1' of snow to get there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy