Author Topic: Navigations courses  (Read 2017 times)

Matt010791

Navigations courses
« on: 09:19:13, 24/08/19 »
Hi, I’m new go walking the hills on my own and I’m really considering doing a basic hill navigation course, has anyone done one of these before and can recommend somewhere? I’m based in Warrington. Ta

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
Re: Navigations courses
« Reply #1 on: 20:10:50, 24/08/19 »

One of the members on here does them, can't remember his name. I met him in Derbyshire, very interesting. Perhaps someone will know who I'm talking about, I'm not good with names.

ilona

Deolman

« Reply #2 on: 09:14:57, 26/08/19 »
Hi Matt

I am based in Liverpool so not far from you. When choosing a course look for one that trains to the National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) (https://nnas.org.uk) are three levels starting with Bronze then there is Silver and Gold. I did the Bronze level with the Silva School of Navigation (https://silvanavigationschool.com)  in Tideswell, Derbyshire. The instructor, Peter Hawkins, was very good and the course was run for two days over a weekend. For the bronze course you do not need any previous experience with navigation as the course starts at a very basic level.  Once you have done the bronze course it is up to you if you want to reach the higher standards of Silver and Gold at a later date as these are all run as separate courses. On completion of the course you will have a recognised navigation qualification.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:07:01, 26/08/19 »
I train and assess all levels of NNAS and would say they are a superb way to learn. For too long people have had compasses and numbered bearings and the like thrown at them straight away, when actually it is far better to start by really getting to know the map. Of course, by you get to Gold you are navigating between little contour wiggles at night on bearings and pacings.
They focus on nav, but also cover safety, kit and environment.
There is a close link with the Mountain Training leadership courses, too. Bronze NNAS is at Technical Difficulty 2 and is the standard required of Lowland Leaders. Silver is at TD4 and is the standard required by Hill and Moorland Leaders. Gold is TD5 and is the standard required by Mountain Leaders.
NNAS is recognised by Mountain Training, British Orienteering and the Royal Institute of Navigation, along with many others.

There are also the Mountain Training Hill Skills and Mountain Skills courses. These cover a lot of the same ground but are not assessed, and thus aren't qualifications in the same way as NNAS awards are. Speaking to people having done different courses enjoyed the Skills courses but on the whole those who did NNAS felt more confident in their navigation.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:37:49, 26/08/19 »
If your pocket is deep enough, then probably the best place to go on a map reading course, is Plas Y Brenin in Capel Curig.
They run every kind of outdoor adventures course you could wish for, and their instructors are professionally credited and trained.

Their courses are not the cheapest around, but at least the course will include accommodation and food, and professional tuition in the stunning mountains of Snowdonia, and its in fairly easy driving distance of Warrington.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:29:09, 26/08/19 »
Don't suppose your NNAS courses are based anywhere near Cumbria are they archaeoroutes? I'm not sure I'm ever going to learn map and compass based navigation properly without some structure, sure I can handrail around OK provided there are obvious linear or spot features and I did practice some of the techniques a little but I prefer to just walk when I go out and faffing with the map to practice slows me down so I get out ViewRanger instead.

Won't hijack your thread Matt just the one related question.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:42:27, 26/08/19 »
Hi, I’m new go walking the hills on my own and I’m really considering doing a basic hill navigation course, has anyone done one of these before and can recommend somewhere? I’m based in Warrington. Ta

Can't help with recommendations in your area but I can recommend doing one of the NNAS courses.  I did the Bronze level which is perfect if you currently look at a map and compass and go "erm, yes, I know what they are but..." .  If you already know how to read a map and use a compass with it on a basic level (finding north in relation to you/your map and finding your direction of travel) and can tick off features on the map as you pass them on the ground then I'd say go for the Silver NNAS.

As with anything, once you have these basic skills, the key is to get out there and practice, practice, practice  O0

Deolman

« Reply #7 on: 16:58:01, 26/08/19 »
Course providers using the NNAS sylabus can be found on the NNAS web site. When I did my course I opted to stay overnight at a cheap B&B but as Warrington is less than 1.5 hours from Tideswell (nr. Buxton) then it is certainly possible to do the weekend course returning home at the end of each days training. According to the NNAS website it is also possible to go directly onto the Silver course but the course provider would want to assess your previous navigation experience to ensure you have reached a sufficient level of competence in the basics of navigation first.  Silva Navigation are curently quoting £150 for a two day weekend course - I have not checked how this matches up with other providers.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:53:21, 26/08/19 »
Don't suppose your NNAS courses are based anywhere near Cumbria are they archaeoroutes?
South West, I'm afraid.

But there are providers everywhere. All are qualified and experienced outdoor leaders who have additionally been specifically trained and assessed to teach navigation. There is a good system of moderation of courses, too.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Matt010791

« Reply #9 on: 19:32:16, 26/08/19 »
thanks for all your info everyone very much appreciated. Don't worry about hijacking....ask away, everyones here to help each other. Just looked at Plas Y Brenin as my family have a caravan on Anglesey but 251 quid is bit steeper me. I have found the NNAS course through the lake district walker website for 90 which i think seems value for money.

Matt010791

« Reply #10 on: 19:20:06, 10/09/19 »
Finally booked myself on a NNAS bronze course with pure outdoors who are based in the Peak District, hopefully I’ll be able to get the intermediate silver course in by Christmas also 

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:34:07, 10/09/19 »
Good job Matt I can't afford to do it now for a while :( You'll be leading forum meets next.

Matt010791

« Reply #12 on: 19:42:14, 10/09/19 »
Good job Matt I can't afford to do it now for a while :( You'll be leading forum meets next.

Thanks Rob, hopefully ill try and get to the gold by the summer. Ill feel a lot more at ease taking the kids into the hills once I've done the courses.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:28:36, 10/09/19 »
You got access to the Meets board yet Matt?

Matt010791

« Reply #14 on: 20:36:46, 10/09/19 »
yes, i got the royal approval the other day. following your possible 13th oct meet carefully  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy