Author Topic: Knoydart excitement!  (Read 2473 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Knoydart excitement!
« on: 16:31:56, 30/10/16 »
We have just booked a break on Knoydart for next summer. Can't quite believe how excited I am! The two sons, partners and dogs are coming too. It's going to be a real getaway from it all with fantastic walking to boot, sea views, wildlife (fingers crossed) and plenty of evening board games most likely washed down with a bit of vino or the local stuff...

Boat from Mallaig and car free for a week - wonderful.

I hace done a quick search and found a few TRs here for Knoydart, but any tips, local info greatly appreciated.

Have I mentioned how excited I am?  ;D :D 8)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Knoydart excitement!
« Reply #1 on: 17:21:38, 31/10/16 »
It'll be great, I envy you,  but unless it is outwith the midgie months take LOTS of midge repellent.  A lot of people swear by smidge.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:47:48, 31/10/16 »
Ohhh, you lucky, lucky thing  :D

................any chance that you'll need someone to carry your bags?  ;D

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:18:35, 31/10/16 »
It's June so i expect the midgies will be out in force! Having said that our week on Mull last August 2015 was remarkably midge free...  The Skin so soft will be purchased in bulk, along with something citronella-y including candles. Smidge is new to me but will also investigate.

Mel, as there are likely to be 6 adults, two dogs, associated walking and outdoor paraphernalia, a ton of food and a gallon of wine, we are likely to sink the boat - so if you could just bob alongside with a life raft, that's be helpful  ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:06:45, 31/10/16 »
 ;D   :D

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:04:35, 01/11/16 »

I hace done a quick search and found a few TRs here for Knoydart, but any tips, local info greatly appreciated.

The Looney Bin is a must..........

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:38:18, 01/11/16 »
It's June so i expect the midgies will be out in force! Having said that our week on Mull last August 2015 was remarkably midge free...  The Skin so soft will be purchased in bulk

In one of our B&Bs on the Pennine Way we met a family who live near John O Groats who swear by Skin so soft, we subsequently met another Scottish couple who said the same so it must be good! We didn't have any but luckily didn't really encounter any midges  ::)

uncled8249

« Reply #7 on: 19:24:52, 09/12/16 »
I had a great time on Knoydart  in Sept 2010. We went in the other end from Inverie, at Barisdale.  It took a 6 mile walk along Loch Hourn to get there, thankfully our tents and luggage went in by boat.   If you would like to see the pix I took they are at 
     http://www.uncled8249.co.uk/discoveryquestknoydart1.htm,  there are two pages.  I do hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did.  

Edward
I'm Norfolk 'n good!    OTBC
more pics at www.flickr.com/uncled8249/albums

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy