Author Topic: Best views, etc in the UK  (Read 3653 times)

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: Best views, etc in the UK
« Reply #15 on: 11:11:41, 10/12/18 »
Agree with High Cup.
Also Northumberland from Hadrians Wall and Gormire Lake from the Cleveland Way-think it was Wainright who dubbed it "the best view in England".Matter of opinion but pretty damn good.

astaman

« Reply #16 on: 13:11:35, 10/12/18 »
Agree with High Cup Nick. My only visit there was a walk up from Dufton into a the battering Helm wind in thick fog. When I got there I sat and had a cuppa with some Pennine Way walkers bemoaning the lack of a view when the wind fell and the sky cleared briefly to reveal the awesome view.

Also, the view across Derwent Water to the north with Catbells rising on the side. In Scotland, standing in the bowl of Lochan Coire Michfarquar looking up at the castellated ridge of Ben Eighe. I agree with Richardh, little to beat looking across the Assynt hills. Finally, in Shetland, the view along the cliffs from the Eshaness lighthouse.

We're so lucky to have these things in our minds eye.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:37:07, 10/12/18 »
I will probably be lynched for letting out this secret but High Cup Nick has a smaller brother which is on a par especially after rain when waterfalls cascade down its sides.  There is a good track a fair way up the bottom of it too:- Scordale in the Warcop Range.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mick wmexile

« Reply #18 on: 16:20:17, 10/12/18 »
Another thumbs up for High Cup, on my Pennine Way walk two years ago, the sheer spectacle of the view as it opened up, totally overwhelming. I've done plenty journeys across the world, High Cup stands high on the list with what I've saw
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:01:26, 10/12/18 »
. In Scotland, standing in the bowl of Lochan Coire Michfarquar looking up at the castellated ridge of Ben Eighe. I agree with Richardh, little to beat looking across the Assynt hills. Finally, in Shetland, the view along the cliffs from the Eshaness lighthouse.

I must visit Coire Mhic Fearchair sometime, the triple buttress is one of the best pieces of mountain architecture in Britain. What a place for a wild camp, if I can find a spot amongst the boulders.

And I've been to Eshaness many a time - stunning coastline.

Edit - and I have High Cup Nick to look forward to too!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:16:19, 10/12/18 »
Three vistas left me in total awe, the first time i cast eyes upon them.
Driving down Glen Coe valley, with the mountains towering on top of you, almost as if they were about to fall on top of you.
Turning the corner into Kintail, opposite Eilean Donan castle, with the five sisters surrounding you, and Skye on the distant horizon, that ones pretty special.
The final view is from the Wynford Vaughn Thomas memorial platform outside Machynlleth, with the whole of Northern Snowdonia on the distant horizon.

On a really clear day in winter, that view is amazing.

I still think Glen Coe is pretty special though, even though ive only seen it twice.
« Last Edit: 19:22:31, 10/12/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

snoopdawg

« Reply #21 on: 20:32:57, 10/12/18 »
Got to agree with Coire Mhic Fearchair absolutely stunning.

I would also add the walk between Kinlochourn and Barrisdale.

If I could add something, Corrour bothy in the Cairngorms has a toilet building to the side. The door faces to Glen Tilt. If using the facilities with the door ajar, its got to be the best room with a view! 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 21:46:31, 10/12/18 »

Driving down Glen Coe valley, with the mountains towering on top of you, almost as if they were about to fall on top of you.
If we are including driving routes, I would agree with Glen Coe, particularly when the sky above Rannoch Moor is almost black, highlighting the brightest rainbow ever seen. Another road with exceptional views is on the south side of Loch Ness. Several times I have seen car in front brake sharply when confronted with the view on cresting the hill. Mellon Udrigle beach on the west coast of Scotland has white sand, turquoise water and the Assynt mountains to the north.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:40:40, 11/12/18 »

I would agree without hesitation with those mentioned on here. The Torridon 'coire much fiercer' triple buttresses and the hills in Sutherland.  Can I add some more...From the summit of Beinn Dearg Mhor, above the road down to loch Slapin, where the views out over the previously visited black and red Cuillin are very fine and on Curved Ridge on the way to Stob Dearg where the views of the classic Rannoch wall routes and out over glen Coe are to be savoured.
The circular walking route from Feshie Bridge and back following Glen Feshie, Glen Geldie, the Lairig Ghru and back to Feshie Bridge via Loch an Eilein is a grand walk....just a wee bit of minor road up to Achlean.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:56:36, 11/12/18 »
Agree with High Cup, been twice.
View from Ingleborough on a clear day is good too, can just see the Irish sea.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Troggy

« Reply #25 on: 12:44:30, 11/12/18 »
I wouldn't say that I've got a best view, there's so many stunning and beautiful views. Iremmeber a view looking down Glenfinnan with the Monument at the head of the loch. Stunning!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:52:54, 11/12/18 »

My first view of a Cornish coast, the Camel estuary across to Stepper Point - aged 13 - never forgotten. I'd only known the holidays on shingle beaches and grey seas of Sussex. The amazing vista of intense blue sea, sandy beach and rugged cliffs were mind blowing.
It's influenced my life ever since. Initially more holidays then moving to the southwest and eventually even embracing the delights of Doom Bar!
« Last Edit: 14:02:07, 11/12/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

davengf

« Reply #27 on: 18:43:03, 11/12/18 »
Win Green Hill near Shaftesbury.

Spectacular views of Cranborne Chase, New Forest, Isle of Wight, Purbecks & on a very clear day - Glastonbury Tor.

Well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Great walking country.

humansnail

« Reply #28 on: 18:44:42, 14/12/18 »
[font=]Coire Mhic Fearchair is a fantastic place, camped up there a few years ago and it was spectacular. However, my vote would also have to be for the views from one of the Assynt hills - you could take your pick really. A truly breath taking place! When it comes to the best view in the UK I definitely think it would be somewhere in the North West of Scotland that would take the crown.  

rambling oldie

« Reply #29 on: 20:43:10, 14/12/18 »
Coming down south, walking down the Selborne zigzag on a bright autumn morning is stunning, with the colours across the village and the valley and lythes, made slightly 'Quatermass' like by the giant golfballs.  Then a couple of miles southeast to the eastern side of Noar Hill, described by the travel writer and keen walker Bill Bryson as an almost perfect view over English countryside.
 O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy