Author Topic: Sharing walking related Christmas pressie ideas  (Read 2574 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
As usual I have no idea what to buy my hubby for Christmas and he’s not been very forthcoming with ideas so far.   >:(  So I thought I would start a thread where we could share walking related ideas for presents, maybe unusual ones others may not have thought of.  There’s not really anything he needs as such so would probably just end up getting another base layer and socks!
I’ll start off - last year I ordered a jigsaw from myphotopuzzle, which was a photo we had taken on our Pennine Way walk.  :)
« Last Edit: 21:52:34, 25/11/17 by rural roamer »

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Sharing walking ralated Christmas pressie ideas
« Reply #1 on: 19:55:38, 25/11/17 »
I'm getting an Osprey Stratos 26 daysack.  Mrs. DD found one online for £80 from Trekitt.  :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:05:38, 25/11/17 »
Staying on the jigsaw theme there are map ones of the Lake District and Cairngorms.    We did one last Christmas, it was much harder than we expected!

tenmilesplus

« Reply #3 on: 20:37:39, 25/11/17 »
Does your Hubby like tech ? There are several different techy things to look into, or a funky LED torch ? What style of walking does he do ? Is he a walk around the local area or popping out for a few days sort of fella ? My thoughts ...
 Poles, decent map case, Gaiters, a journal to fill out, Wet weather hat, cleaning / treating products for clothing and boots, there's always vouchers..

Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:57:21, 25/11/17 »
What style of walking does he do ? Is he a walk around the local area or popping out for a few days sort of fella ? My thoughts ...
 Poles, decent map case, Gaiters, a journal to fill out, Wet weather hat, cleaning / treating products for clothing and boots, there's always vouchers..

Local walks and LDP’s.
I got him a wet weather hat last year and he won’t use poles or wear gaiters! And we got a new map case for our LDP this year!

Had a wander round Cotswold Outdoors today to try and get some ideas.  Maybe a soft shell, he hasn’t got one.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Sharing walking related Christmas pressie ideas
« Reply #5 on: 23:20:40, 25/11/17 »
I am getting a new compass and a copy of the 'Blencathra portrait of a mountain' book, both of which I have bought.

I've mentioned these map boxes before but last year I bought these for myself and my son from my Dad
https://www.fromtheworkshop.co.uk/map-box/

I was also given some of these coasters a few years ago, not the most exciting present but they are actually very nice and I am using one right now.
http://walterandmay.co.uk/contoured-coasters-lake-district
« Last Edit: 23:25:12, 25/11/17 by Ridge »

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:27:59, 26/11/17 »
To be honest, I really have most things I need, so a luxury item is what I've had my eye on for so time.
So I have asked for a joint present from Mrs J and our adult kids.
An outdoors activity watch, even half price they aren't cheap but they have good reviews.

For the lower end of the scale.
A set of dry bags
Drinks bladder
Boot / clothes cleaning stuff
In date first aid kit
Waterproof phone case
Or maybe micospikes for winter walking?  :)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:17:49, 26/11/17 »
Might be worth thinking about a buff, especially a winter one.

Left to own devices, natural reaction might be “pricy for what they are”, so a fair number of people won’t have them. But they are a versatile piece of kit...and much, much better than scarfs for example for adding extra warmth round neck.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:55:25, 26/11/17 »
Another thought on small useful items that don’t cost a fortune, but a fair number of walkers may not have: liner socks, and liner gloves.

The liner gloves can be useful in winter under full gloves/mittens...probably be some point of walk when outer gloves need to come off to do something fiddly.

Liner socks can be useful to adjust boot/ sockcomfort to perfect fit before setting off on a really long walk. Can vaguely remember days I did long-ish walks, sitting down day before walk to try all sorts of sick liner/ sock combos before convincing myself I’d got perfect combo for the boots.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:47:50, 27/11/17 »
Thanks for your ideas, some useful suggestions there, and hopefully will help others needing inspiration. I like the idea of the map box, but as I would be using it too, not really sure I could buy that as a Christmas present!  ;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:04:59, 27/11/17 »
We don't 'do' Chrismas present buying in our family, just the meal and the get together.

Perhaps this idea, if you had a relative who died in action in WW1 or WW2 go to Commonwealth War Graves site, look him/her up, easy to do. Once found. its free, print off his/her commemoration sheet. 'they liveth for evermore', put it in an A4 frame and give it to relatives.

There is a specially designed Cotswold Way and a West Highland Way Android app on Play, couple of pounds to buy, very useful and easy to read route, maps, hotels, camp sites, etc and well laid out.

I rently bought a Mu flat 3 pin phone charger, brilliant, cost me just over £10 from Amazon.

I love my Bluetooth folding keyboard, ideal with a mobile phone, or a tablet. I do not like on screen keyboards, very useful when you need accuacy on the trail.

Also love my over the shoulder A5 sized man bag, I bought mine for £3.50 in Spain, does the job.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:20:25, 29/11/17 »
These tube style fell maps are interesting

http://www.tubularfells.com/

I got the Wainwrights one for a birthday pressie a couple of years ago

I also like these 3D style maps

http://www.aerialpanoramicmaps.co.uk/

I have a couple of the Brecon Beacons framed on the wall above my PC so I can day dream and look at them when I'm planning walks!

Enjoy every sandwich

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:09:04, 29/11/17 »
I always get a calander with photo's taken from the various walks/places I've been to throughout the year. Usually from photobox or another store.  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:36:42, 30/11/17 »
Related to Redeye's suggestion, for years my kids have got my wife a photo book of highlights of our year.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:34:34, 30/11/17 »

For years I have kept a wish list on the computer, things I have noticed through the year that I would like when I find them or have a bit of spare cash.  The family consult it at Christmas, which is great because I get things I really want.
However,  at this time of year I have to make sure there is a variety of stuff on the list, which can mean a bit of headscratching.  I'm getting some great ideas from this thread!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy