Author Topic: Hiking at Hopton Castle in Shropshire . 12 mile or so .  (Read 2292 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
I did a 12 mile saunter around Hopton Castle in Shropshire . The first mile or so was in a dark , dank conifer forest with mountain bikers hurtling round & nearly all shouted Hi or Hello . One red faced guy was slowly making his way to the top of Hopton Titterhill . He looked at me and wryly said , "it is relentless" ! .  When I surfaced from the dark forest , the walk took on a new , and totally brighter feel . It was superb .  O0

Out of the forest and into the sunshine . !

Fields of Dreams .

I love gateways . There is nearly always some sort of detritus around them . The white sign on the ground says " Danger Bull...private roads "  :o

An old war horse .

BEWARE OF THE SHADY CAT .

Looking down on Clunbury village .

Foxgloves in the shadows .

A friendly fellow said goodbye .

Thanks for having a Gander . O0
« Last Edit: 21:25:53, 21/06/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking at Hopton Castle in Shropshire .
« Reply #1 on: 13:32:45, 21/06/20 »
Another great walk in beautiful countryside, thanks for sharing O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking at Hopton Castle in Shropshire . 12 mile or so .
« Reply #2 on: 09:18:10, 22/06/20 »
Looks like a delightful walk in England's Green and Pleasant Land.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:32:27, 22/06/20 »
Lovely pics G&P.
looks like a great walk once you were out of the forest.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:49:12, 22/06/20 »

Great set of photos G&P and very much in keeping with the essence of the countryside. The pleasure of walking through a field of barley waist high and in full ear before necking over is one of those experiences the grower should share with the visitor. Too often I read of walkers agreeing with the idea that footpaths should go around field boundaries, yet here you have taken a photo that shows the reason why these paths across field are so important to the network. The crop will yield well over 2ton per acre, I only wish that when I was a grower, we had the varieties that yield so well, they were only just coming into being.

You are getting close to an other prime walk in that area, if you have your eyes on the Burrow Fort above Aston on Clun, then you will have a special experience. There is a gateway with a similar ambience to your gateway picture near Sibdon castle, this gives a great line of approach to the Burrow but getting into the fort is a matter of taken liberties with the notion of 'Private Land', a selfish way of thinking that leaves many short of understanding the history and wonder of their countryside. A simple key, which I will happily part with!!
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:16:12, 22/06/20 »
Lovely countryside down there G&P, lovely pics  O0
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:10:16, 22/06/20 »
Lovely again G&P O0

I think i mentioned that my brother used to live in Clun and I have remembered the little rhyme he used to tell us all the time (at least I hope I've remembered correctly  ;D  )

"Clungungford, Clunbury and Clun, no nicer three places under the sun. "

You cant really argue with that  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:49:31, 22/06/20 »
Great set of photos G&P and very much in keeping with the essence of the countryside. The pleasure of walking through a field of barley waist high and in full ear before necking over is one of those experiences the grower should share with the visitor. Too often I read of walkers agreeing with the idea that footpaths should go around field boundaries, yet here you have taken a photo that shows the reason why these paths across field are so important to the network. The crop will yield well over 2ton per acre, I only wish that when I was a grower, we had the varieties that yield so well, they were only just coming into being.

You are getting close to an other prime walk in that area, if you have your eyes on the Burrow Fort above Aston on Clun, then you will have a special experience. There is a gateway with a similar ambience to your gateway picture near Sibdon castle, this gives a great line of approach to the Burrow but getting into the fort is a matter of taken liberties with the notion of 'Private Land', a selfish way of thinking that leaves many short of understanding the history and wonder of their countryside. A simple key, which I will happily part with!!

Thank you . I am not averse to a bit of covert exploration Bww . If you would kindly message or let me know some other way , how to get into Burrow Fort or at least give me a pointer , I can work things out . (edit ...I see it just half a Kilometre or so west of Hopesay  O0 ....I have planned an 8 mile walk from the village of Lingen next , with a jaunt up the impressively named Harley`s mountain , but can always change my priorities  ;) ..)

Lovely pics G&P.
looks like a great walk once you were out of the forest.

It being so close to the Welsh border & hence the same landscape , is what makes for some great walks . Thanks Ridge  O0

Looks like a delightful walk in England's Green and Pleasant Land.
Thanks Richard , very pleasant indeed .  O0

Lovely countryside down there G&P, lovely pics  O0
Thanks . I would recommend it .

Lovely again G&P O0 

I think i mentioned that my brother used to live in Clun and I have remembered the little rhyme he used to tell us all the time (at least I hope I've remembered correctly  ;D  )

"Clungungford, Clunbury and Clun, no nicer three places under the sun. "

You cant really argue with that  :)
  Thanks Karl ... I can vouch for that now too...really nice .  O0
« Last Edit: 21:01:10, 22/06/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:55:46, 22/06/20 »
Lovely pics.  I like the Shady Cat sign too  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:56:58, 22/06/20 »
Lovely pics.  I like the Shady Cat sign too  :)
Thanks Mel..yes made me chuckle . O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:37:16, 23/06/20 »
Hi G&P, just some clues on how to look at the map for an approach to the Iron Age Hill on Burrow hill, which I think to be the  most exiting of all these forts in Shropshire. Will you be deemed to be trespassing, that is a bit of a mystery, certainly there have been signs of regular trod by the most direct route to the fort which is the shape of a teardrop on it's side, indicates that locals do walk the route. As no Public Right of Way leads into it, it has remained a bit of a mystery as to the actual status. The route in I suggest is no doubt a short trespass.

A rule of walking I have adopted, yet appears unknown to those writers of walk guides, 'Get to know your Hill', from afar. By starting from Aston on Clun, (hopefully you will be able park in the Kangaroo pub car park) a route out towards Sibden Castle will intersect the ubiquitous Shropshire Way, from the slopes of Hopesay Hill the Burrow can be viewed, perhaps here the feelings of a once safe place to dwell may be planted and an understanding of the entry point that unfolds as you approach, having passed through Hopesay (attractive Church by the way). As you climb to the crest of a ridge that by a collection of fields west of Barlow Home Farm, there may be a field that is Open Access between you and the natural opening to the fort. This is a bit of a mystery? Just beyond a footpath that leads to the right down to Barlow Home Farm, the field margin to the left will lead to the wooded boundary of the hill, about 100yds along this you should find an old 10ft five bar wooden gate. Probably have to climb over it if it is still in a state to do so. Follow the track under hill East and uphill, which curves around leading to the once main entrance to the fort at the rounded end of the teardrop.

Will you feel the ethos of a long lost community? Or will the quandary of lostways, where the shortly to be eradicated rule of once a way always away, now buried under confusing rules to protect the notion of Private Property, defeats our connections to our past, be triggered?

Some year ago a met a couple on Hopesay hill, they had walked from Clun and were doing the Wild Edrich Walk, about the one trail that has been taken up by a commercial holiday company organising hospitality chains. Furnished with detailed and expensive holiday packs they had walked within 3 to 400 yds of this gem on the Shropshire landscape.
BWW

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:34:38, 23/06/20 »
Lovely pics G&P - looks an interesting route.  All cats are shady in my experience  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:54:29, 23/06/20 »
Lovely pics G&P - looks an interesting route.  All cats are shady in my experience  :)
Thanks . ! I was bit put off at the beginning as the forest was way to dark and it rained a tad , but after an hour it was brilliant..nuff said about cats  ;) O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:02:54, 23/06/20 »
Hi G&P, just some clues on how to look at the map for an approach to the Iron Age Hill on Burrow hill, which I think to be the  most exiting of all these forts in Shropshire. Will you be deemed to be trespassing, that is a bit of a mystery, certainly there have been signs of regular trod by the most direct route to the fort which is the shape of a teardrop on it's side, indicates that locals do walk the route. As no Public Right of Way leads into it, it has remained a bit of a mystery as to the actual status. The route in I suggest is no doubt a short trespass.

A rule of walking I have adopted, yet appears unknown to those writers of walk guides, 'Get to know your Hill', from afar. By starting from Aston on Clun, (hopefully you will be able park in the Kangaroo pub car park) a route out towards Sibden Castle will intersect the ubiquitous Shropshire Way, from the slopes of Hopesay Hill the Burrow can be viewed, perhaps here the feelings of a once safe place to dwell may be planted and an understanding of the entry point that unfolds as you approach, having passed through Hopesay (attractive Church by the way). As you climb to the crest of a ridge that by a collection of fields west of Barlow Home Farm, there may be a field that is Open Access between you and the natural opening to the fort. This is a bit of a mystery? Just beyond a footpath that leads to the right down to Barlow Home Farm, the field margin to the left will lead to the wooded boundary of the hill, about 100yds along this you should find an old 10ft five bar wooden gate. Probably have to climb over it if it is still in a state to do so. Follow the track under hill East and uphill, which curves around leading to the once main entrance to the fort at the rounded end of the teardrop.

Will you feel the ethos of a long lost community? Or will the quandary of lostways, where the shortly to be eradicated rule of once a way always away, now buried under confusing rules to protect the notion of Private Property, defeats our connections to our past, be triggered?

Some year ago a met a couple on Hopesay hill, they had walked from Clun and were doing the Wild Edrich Walk, about the one trail that has been taken up by a commercial holiday company organising hospitality chains. Furnished with detailed and expensive holiday packs they had walked within 3 to 400 yds of this gem on the Shropshire landscape.
I`ve plotted a route from Aston on Clun taking in Sibdon Carwood , Hopesay , Barlow Home farm , up to the fort and around  ;) . Then Clunbury , Upper Coston and then north back to Aston on Clun . I will post a few pics once I have done my fort forage .

I have decided to walk from Lingen tomorrow as planned though . Thanks for the pointers Bww and I am looking forward to doing my Fort walk in about a weeks time . ! O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:21:07, 24/06/20 »
Hope you have a great walk, looks like a longer track than I am up to now, thought the distance would have been my norm some years ago, I think it was near Hopton Castle that I had warning that anno domini and my heart were in conflict. Now I feel gratefull for the distances I was able to walk. I know I complain about where the footpaths go, Broome Station is a prime example of how the modern network fails to drag itself into the 21st century, a rare request stop that could link a prime bit of countryside and a nasty bit of road. 
BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy