Author Topic: All Leather Boot cleaning/re-waxing procedure – turnaround time?  (Read 1087 times)

HikeMike

I plan on walking once a day, for 7 miles, for the next 7 months. I’m wondering if I can get the whole clean / dry / re-wax routine completed within 24hrs, using one pair of boots, so I’ll always have boots prepared for the next walk.

If the entire routine takes more than 24hrs, maybe I need a 2nd pair of boots?

My intended boots will be Altberg with anfibio leather and sympatex lining, terrain is generally muddy.
« Last Edit: 23:38:12, 03/11/19 by HikeMike »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Boot cleaning/re-waxing procedure – turnaround time?
« Reply #1 on: 22:52:12, 03/11/19 »
Where are you planning to walk?  They may not get that wet walking 7 miles down a canal toe path.  7miles accross a peat bog is another matter entirely.

HikeMike

« Reply #2 on: 22:56:32, 03/11/19 »
Where are you planning to walk?  They may not get that wet walking 7 miles down a canal toe path.  7miles accross a peat bog is another matter entirely.

Essex trails, woodlands, fields. If there's any rain, it gets wet and muddy.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:09:13, 03/11/19 »
If your boots get saturated then it can take days to dry them out.  Usually they don't get that wet though.  If using Nikewax, you apply it when wet anyway then it gets pulled into the leather as it drys. 

If your boots have a gortex inner, then one pair should be all you need.  If they are simply leather you may struggle with one pair.  Hope my ramblings help.
« Last Edit: 23:15:07, 03/11/19 by BuzyG »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:21:48, 03/11/19 »

Essex trails, woodlands, fields. If there's any rain, it gets wet and muddy.

For that terrain forget leather -get a pair of roclites  combine with good wool mix (merino) socks and don't bother about whether your feet are wet - for 7 miles it really doesn't matter.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
If you get the boots well waxed beforehand they should hold out for 7 miles, no problem.  Give them a quick scrub in water, ideally running water, after the walk if necessary to remove any mud then rewax them and they should be good to go again.  If the original waxing was thorough,water should still bead on the surface so they can be shaken and waxed without waiting for them to dry. 5 mins to scrub, 10 to 15 mins tops to wax.
Solvitur Ambulando

HikeMike

If your boots get saturated then it can take days to dry them out.  Usually they don't get that wet though.  If using Nikewax, you apply it when wet anyway then it gets pulled into the leather as it drys. 

If your boots have a gortex inner, then one pair should be all you need.  If they are simply leather you may struggle with one pair.  Hope my ramblings help.

Definitely a help  O0  I’ve changed the thread title to ‘All Leather’ to be more specific to my needs. I’ve noticed Nikwax can be applied when boots are wet, which would cut down time. As mine are Altberg, I’ll be proofing with the only one Altberg recommend, Leder-Gris. Their website states ‘apply when the boots are almost dry’. Do you also need to allow time for absorbing Leder-Gris into the leather? Website doesn’t mention.

[/size]For that terrain forget leather -get a pair of roclites  combine with good wool mix (merino) socks and don't bother about whether your feet are wet - for 7 miles it really doesn't matter.

It’s subjective, and having done this routine many times in the past with leaking boots, it’s not something I want to repeat. Call me a wimp, but I much prefer dry feet. ;)

If you get the boots well waxed beforehand they should hold out for 7 miles, no problem.  Give them a quick scrub in water, ideally running water, after the walk if necessary to remove any mud then rewax them and they should be good to go again.  If the original waxing was thorough,water should still bead on the surface so they can be shaken and waxed without waiting for them to dry. 5 mins to scrub, 10 to 15 mins tops to wax.

You're suggesting every 7 miles (every day)? I was hoping for once every 7 days (49 miles). But yes, repeat the maintenance whilst the boots are still beading, to prevent moisture penetrating deeper, which will ultimately take longer for the boots to 'almost dry' for Leder-Gris. Understood  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I was going worst case.  For info, I also have Altberg boots. If my boots are muddy at the end of a trip I will wash it off before the next trip. That usually needs a scrubbing brush so yes, I will rewax afterwards. If you leave the mud on, the water does not bead.  It only needs a skim of wax followed by a quick buff with a brush to regain the sheen. If the going has been dry, you can go a bit longer between waxing.  I usually just give them a buff with a brush to get the dust off to protect the stitching.  The brush usually has a bit of wax left on it anyway.
The better you treat your boots, the longer they will last and the longer they will stay waterproof.  We both have boots that are on their second set of soles.
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
I agree with ninthace's comments. It's a 5-10 minute job which should just become part of your routine after any walk.

You may also find the information and advice given in this earlier post useful particularly that relating to using an oily wax on high wear areas of the boot. http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39039.msg555671#msg555671

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy