Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 40367 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #120 on: 13:51:18, 24/12/17 »
The Friends of the Lake District has posted their full response to LDNPA about the zipwire proposal. The link to the letter they have sent is in a link at the bottom of the page.

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/news/national-parks-for-the-many-and-not-the-few

It is very thorough and must have taken a lot of time to write. Thank you Laura Fiske  O0
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: 14:07:09, 24/12/17 »
A very interesting article, and its quite easy to see why the friends of the National Park are so against the project.
The Thirlmere area, is in a stunningly beautiful unspoilt area, and there is a strong belief that such a large outdoors development, will spoil the area.

Its pointless comparing Thirlmere with a Bethesda disused quarry, as the environments are so different.

The economic benefits clearly out weigh the environmental damage, or lack of damage.

A series of high wires is hardly going to destroy the beauty of remote Thirlmere, but the huge influx of visitors and customers most certainly will have a detrimental impact on the area.

Huge car parks, access roads, cafes, associated litter problems with huge number of visitors, the list is almost endless.

Yet the massive economic boost to the area, with potentially many thousands of visitors spending their hard earned cash, that's a very tempting prospect for any area that survives chiefly on tourism and the spending power of the tourist.

I am glad i am not part of the planning commity, the economic benefits will be huge, but so will the environmental damage.

Which is more important, jobs and prosperity for a the locality, or a view.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 14:20:46, 24/12/17 »
The economic benefits clearly out weigh the environmental damage, or lack of damage.

No they don't.

There will be very little economic benefit for the locals. The jobs offered by Zip World are not that attractive, they are low paid with uncertain hours and not very secure, you are given a contract for one season. The locals do not want the zip wires and there is very low unemployment in the area and people would have to travel a long way to come to work, most likely.

You obviously have not read the 15 page letter from FOLD to the LDNPA explaining why this proposal should be refused, perhaps you should?

Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 14:53:48, 24/12/17 »
What about the significant number of visitors, a lot of whom will be requiring accommodation, and places to eat, and buy their groceries.
I know a lot of the potential customers to such an attraction, would be day visitors, but many of the visitors to Zip World Bethesda are foreign tourists, drawn to the locality simply because of the existence of Europes longest zip wire.
They need somewhere to stay, and spend their money.

Most of the visitors  to Zip World, did not drive a significant distance from the SE and abroad, to look at the nice views or walk the hills, they came because the longest Zip wire in Europe happened to be in a remote area of North Wales.

If only a small percentage of those visitors suddenly stopped, and said " what a beautiful part of the world, we had no idea it existed, let's stay longer"

Tourism is what both Cumbria and Snowdonia requires for their long term survival.

Its unlikely to happen, but what if overnight, nobody came to Windermere, Keswick, Kendal and the rest of the stunning national park.

Within a few years, the businesses would close, and those vital jobs, so reliant on tourism would be no more.

The main reason Gwynedd council and the WAG welcomed the project with open arms, is for the economic benefits it offered a deprived and run down area of Snowdonia.

Conwy and Gwynedd conucil have been forward thinking in setting up Surf Snowdonia in Dolgarrog, Zip World in both Bethesda and just outside Bettws Y Coed.

These attractions have received world wide recognition, and many new foreign visitors, who probably have never heard of Wales, have now shown up, to see what the country has to offer.

Even the Llechwedd slate caverns in Blaenau festiniog have created a massive underground trampoline experience.

That sounds extremely tacky, and down market, but every time ive driven up that hill towards the Crimea pass, during the summer months, that attraction car park is usually full to capacity.

Whether they spend their money in Blaenau Festioniog is another matter, but their money is entering the Welsh economy, and that is great for North Wales.

The tourism  industry in Wales, is now the countries most lucrative industry, bringing in thousands of more visitors who would probably have stayed put in London.

Just because locals do not want it in their backyard, does not mean the project is dead in the water.

Cumbria will not survive without its ever increasing reliance on tourism and the money that represents.

Stunning scenery does not promise the local population any job security.

How many people born and bred in Cumbria, have had to move away, simply because there were no full time employment.

If North Wales is enjoying the economic benefits of increased tourism and spent revenue, why cannot the Lakes have a share of the cake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #124 on: 14:56:12, 24/12/17 »
The local parish council is very clear that it is against. As a huge generalisation this appears to be supported by business rather than locals or workers or visitors which, if we are that important to the local economy perhaps shouldn't be ignored.

April, when I said removal of compass and then drummed of the forum you do know that I didn't mean compass don't you

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 15:28:00, 24/12/17 »
DA did you read the 15 page letter?

Ridge, be my guest.
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: 16:24:51, 24/12/17 »
Yes i have read the article, its well written and has a very convincing argument against why such a huge project, should not receive the backing of the council and National Park authority.
All those arguments could easily have been put forward in the case of Snowdonia, yet both councils saw fit to see a longer term future for areas that require tourism to survive.

I live in an area of incredible natural beauty, within the Snowdonia national park boundary, and there are the distinct possibilities, that llanbeder airport, less than three miles from my front door, may receive the go ahead for the national space transportation centre.

It has the full financial backing of the Welsh Assembly Government, and park authority, but knowing Wales, it will unlikely get the nod from Westminster.

Would i welcome such a venture, almost at the bottom of my garden, you bet i would.

What a shame its not 1968, when those incredible Saturn V rockets were on their launch pads.

Forget the fact that i would probably lose my windows in the process, to see one of those from my living room window, stuff of dreams.

It would provide considerable inward investment, not only from Cardiff, but nationally from Westminster.

It would also create much needed employment, however small in number.

Employment opportunities in North Wales are small, and poorly paid, and any form of inward longterm investment is to be encouraged.

I am forward thinking for the future prosperity of the area ive chosen to live in, what others in other parts of the Uk decide to do, is up to them.

If the Zip wire is not given the go ahead, guarantee some other location, probably in Scotland will dive at the opportunity, knowing the economic benefits it will offer.

Council and park officials, with their heads buried in the past, its not the past they should be thinking about, its the longterm future.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: 16:34:41, 24/12/17 »

Would i welcome such a venture, almost at the bottom of my garden, you bet i would.

your welcome to it  :o

It would also create much needed employment, however small in number.

Employment opportunities in North Wales are small, and poorly paid.

it would suit you down to the ground then  ;D

If the Zip wire is not given the go ahead, guarantee some other location, probably in Scotland will dive at the opportunity, knowing the economic benefits it will offer.
well you could have the zip wire next to your house and have people screaming all the way to the caravan park, and if anyone dies you could shove them in the nearby burial chamber  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 16:44:59, 24/12/17 »
I have no such issues with inward investment projects.
Argue your case with youngsters who live and go to school in nearby Dyffryn school, in Harlech.
What future do they have to remain in the area, once they leave school.
There are virtually no job opportunities in this part of North wales, and no doubt the same can be said for Thirlmere,  and when another part of the country are reaping the financial rewards of a project, initially destined for them.

I am sure they will be mighty glad the despoilment of their stunning locality did not go ahead.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 16:48:49, 24/12/17 »
its the longterm future.
That's the whole point DA, you can't get much more longterm than natural scenic beauty!

Incidentally, what do Saturn V rockets have do do with it?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: 17:49:06, 24/12/17 »
DA have you read the 15 page letter to the LDNPA from the planning officer Laura Fiske? I am not referring to the article, the link to the letter is at the bottom of the article. Once you have read the letter and understand the Sanford Principle and other LDNP core policies, try and make your argument stand.

We are not discussing Wales or other planets, we are talking about the Lake District by the way.
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: 19:06:00, 24/12/17 »
It does not matter which National park we are discussing.
Some Park authorities see developments such as these as huge opportunities to attract thousands of new visitors, many of whom would never have thought of visiting that area.
Jobs, and prosperity for that particular area, are what's most important.
There are some amazingly beautiful areas of the United Kingdom, that are chronically poor, with decades of under investment.

Preventing a particular project, just because it might despoil a nice view.

We all have are opinions on such matters, in this case we beg to differ on the subject.
What good is a view, if your economic prospects are poor.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: 19:15:02, 24/12/17 »
It does not matter which National park we are discussing.

Yes it does.  The heading of this thread states what the topic is about quite clearly. 

If you want to discuss other developments in other national parks then start a new topic.

Quite frankly, your thread hijacks are getting tiresome now.

It's not all about you and your opinion.  And, if you want to be the centre of attention, keep it on topic or start your own.

Thank you.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: 19:22:15, 24/12/17 »
You must not have read the 15 page letter then?

DA the economic prospects are not poor in the Lake District. The number of visitors increases every year. There is no need essential need for this development. People are not objecting just because the view may be spoilt. Read the 15 page letter and educate yourself before you comment again, read the objections from the Wainwright Society, The National Trust, or you will continue to come across as someone who hasn't grasped any of what is being debated.
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: 19:45:35, 24/12/17 »
Obviously it's Chrismas...the season for talking B0LL0CKS  ::)

This thread is about Thrilmere, and nothing to do with your beloved Snowdonia ot the powers that be who run that Park.

Personally I think you're being very naive and blinkered if you think an "investment" like this will cast a magic wand over Thrilmere and make the area financially better off and even if it did, at what expense?

People like us (walkers) will spend a day in the hills (or more) and enjoy the natural scenery and sounds that go with it. Nothing better than sitting at a summit having your lunch and enjoying the views and the only sounds you hear are the birds and/or the wind.

People going to these Zip wires will have their 10-15 minute "thrill experience" and then head home, they won't care less about the beauty of their surroundings or the local area and will head home soon after, no doubt moaning about how far they have had to drive and how busy the roads were getting there.

The only people who will benefit from these plans are the investors and the companies who back the proposals....money talks.

When the novelty wears off and the zip wire company closes, will towns like Keswick become ghost towns? Hardly, it's usually very busy when I pass through it or visit it and will continue to be this way with or without a zipwire.

Out of interest DA, when did you last visit the Lake District, was it "many years ago" by any chance? I fail to see why you are posting backing the zip wire, either you are deliberately trying to wind up people (just for a change) or you really do not have a clue.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy