Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573060 times)

cornwallcoastpathdweller

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3120 on: 09:00:33, 03/08/20 »
I wise choice, I see a chunk of cliff near to you is now on the beach since Friday.  The chap walking his dog. Will be in need of new undies. :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-53616483/huge-cliff-fall-in-cornwall-stuns-onlookers

Wowzer they had a lucky escape there.  Been a few nearby falls this year thanks to all the dry April weather then subsequent rain, amazing that people manage to get those sorts of things on video - often wonder how long they sat there waiting.

Will sort a walk in a few weeks along the swcp in the area if anybody is interested, once im back from the midlands.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3121 on: 11:13:24, 03/08/20 »

Wowzer they had a lucky escape there.  Been a few nearby falls this year thanks to all the dry April weather then subsequent rain, amazing that people manage to get those sorts of things on video - often wonder how long they sat there waiting.

Will sort a walk in a few weeks along the swcp in the area if anybody is interested, once im back from the midlands.

Almost every one has a camera on their phone now. So as long as some one passing gets 10-20 seconds warning then they have the opportunity to catch it. Plenty of people out walking the SWCP this summer.  I guess once you notice something like that, you stick around and wait, but how long is down to geology and the weather. Could be 5 seconds, could be an age.

I'm climbing the next two weekends, up Ninthace's way at the valley of the rocks.  Free after that. I'll keep an eye on the board.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3122 on: 18:47:29, 09/08/20 »
I walked today over the South Downs from Denton on the outskirts of Newhaven, via Beddingham Hill and Glynde, to Lewes.  Masses of wild flowers on the chalk grassland. A glorious summer's day on the downs and I was able to enjoy much of it in solitude    :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3123 on: 10:42:48, 10/08/20 »
I walked today over the South Downs from Denton on the outskirts of Newhaven, via Beddingham Hill and Glynde, to Lewes.  Masses of wild flowers on the chalk grassland. A glorious summer's day on the downs and I was able to enjoy much of it in solitude    :)

Lovely flowers on the limestone hills here in the South Lakes too, the harebells are particularly gorgeous.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3124 on: 13:18:58, 10/08/20 »

An earlyish Sunday morning 3 mile there and back walk from Woodbridge to Martlesham Creek along the River Deben

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3125 on: 18:38:04, 23/08/20 »
I walked today on the South Downs from Bramber to Steyning, partly on the Monarch's Way.  A lovely walk of rolling hills and beautiful valleys, with fine views.

PatrickJ

« Reply #3126 on: 21:53:18, 23/08/20 »
Out early today for a 6.5 mile circular walk in the Chilterns.

I've taken the kids to the Dunstable downs many times to fly kites but never walked it before.   Lovely warm morning with clear views across the country side.  Lots of interesting bits to see with burial mounds, iron age forts and sunken paths.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3127 on: 23:55:00, 23/08/20 »
Great Picture.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3128 on: 23:59:56, 23/08/20 »
A very short walk today, but it took in the full route of Commando ridge route along Bosigran Ridge.  Great fun scrambling and we did use a rope for bits of it. ;)

« Last Edit: 19:03:39, 24/08/20 by BuzyG »

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3129 on: 20:06:30, 30/08/20 »
I walked today in Ashdown Forest in the High Weald of Sussex.  A very scenic walk of high, rolling heathlands, with fine expansive views.  The heather is in flower although past its best.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3130 on: 23:14:29, 30/08/20 »
A full day on Dartmoor today. What perfect weather for walking. I walked a few routes I have never walked before, along the upper reaches of the North Teign. Very beautiful but tough ground.

Then over to cut hill and Fur tor. After a butty it was over Black hill to Cranmere pool more totally off piste which I love, not even animal trails for several miles.

Last cuppa stop was at Watern tor,. fun for a little climb too.

And finally back through the forest to Fernworthy Reservoir.

« Last Edit: 23:29:02, 30/08/20 by BuzyG »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3131 on: 07:40:22, 31/08/20 »
That photo of Watern Tor is very striking, BuzyG - like the way the light and shadows throw the horizontal cracks into relief.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3132 on: 07:47:17, 31/08/20 »
Pillar by a roundabout route for my family and I - parked about half way down Wast Water and headed up the beautiful remote valley of Nether Beck to Scoat Tarn, before gaining the ridge between Red Pike and Scoat Fell, then along the ridge up and over Pillar, returning via Black Sail Pass. Visibility was exceptional - could see Blackpool Tower, Clwyd Hills, Snowdonia, Isle of Man, Mull of Galloway, Merrick and surrounding hills, Criffel and on into the hills beyond Moffat. We certainly dodged the ants crawling up and down the Scafell Pike path - we didn't meet a soul until we were nearing Scoat Tarn.

Finished late so we stopped off for fish and chips in Greenodd on our way home. :smiley6600:

Edit - police had been having a field day slapping parking fines on the windscreens of cars badly parked on the Wasdale Head road.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3133 on: 12:29:18, 31/08/20 »
That photo of Watern Tor is very striking, BuzyG - like the way the light and shadows throw the horizontal cracks into relief.

Yes it's a very interesting tor.  Like a number of others nearby the layers of granite are quite shallow several less than 20cm  on most of the SW moors the granite layers are much more chunky as in  over a meter apart, giving the typical boulder cheese ring look.

My elder sister was up walking the same area as you on Friday.  Amazing views from what you have both described.  The last time I reached a cloud free summit in the Lakes I was a teenager.  I still remember those views to this day. O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3134 on: 18:08:48, 31/08/20 »
Must get down to the far South West sometime next year, now that it is again within striking distance (a bit far from Orkney).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy