Author Topic: A Day on the Beach ...8 mile walk .  (Read 5102 times)

tabbycat

A Day on the Beach ...8 mile walk .
« on: 16:14:54, 12/12/12 »
A eight mile beach & estuary walk.

Catching the train at Talsarnau railway stn to Harlech stn.

Then a very relaxing  sunny & warm day along the beach right out to Harlech Point, then turning back up the Dwyryd estuary towards Portmeirion & Snowdonia .

The imposing Harlech Castle

We turn right along the beach for the start of the eight mile walk

Signing for the new Wales Coastal path, Unfortunately the  Wales coastal path doesn't go along the beach , it would have been to dangerous to take walkers on to the tidal estuary were we are going today !

Although it was warm some of the north facing dunes retained frost

Near to & overlooking Harlech Point there is a drift wood seat set up in the dunes , the seat looks out over the Llyn Peninsula & with a back drop of the Rhinog mountains it doesn't get much better than that for a lunch spot . 

TC.. now out in the Estuary with Cnicht behind can't hang about here in a few hours time this will be under water

So much space out here on the estuary

Looking out of the estuary towards Tremadog Bay

Has to be done

No 9 buoy with Moel y Gest behind

Walked over here many times but never noticed this  Survey Marker in the middle of the estuary it will be under water soon , i have seen wet bikes / boats flying around how its never been hit i don't know

Snowdon always looks good from sea level

Portmeirion with Snowdon behind

In the summer months its around this point we wade cross the estuary into Portmeirion, but without knowledge of the sand banks & strong tides this can happen .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtRQyjs2Nw&list=FL7WQOsPOwCoX_cTFRZ9jW2A&index=1

Well done to the lads of the Criccieth Lifeboat

Real winter sunset over a pond at Ynys .

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Re: A Day on the Beach ...8 mile walk .
« Reply #1 on: 17:06:02, 12/12/12 »
Great pics. Love the Portmerion shots, somewhere I've never been.
Enjoy every sandwich

videoman

« Reply #2 on: 20:23:04, 12/12/12 »
Great photos and what a lovely day for your walk.

Jellybelly

« Reply #3 on: 20:29:05, 12/12/12 »
nice  snowdon looks great behind Portmerion

thanks for sharing
Is that so

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:14:45, 13/12/12 »
Fab photos O0  Love the Portmeirion photos with Snowdon behind - I've never been there but I must. Thanks for posting  :)
Hate will never win

tabbycat

« Reply #5 on: 12:21:55, 14/12/12 »
Thanks for the comments  O0
Wouldn't like to be out on the estuary today, midday here & there is hardly any daylight  :(

Oldtramp

« Reply #6 on: 20:52:31, 24/02/19 »
Hi, Tabbycat,

Unfortunately photos not showing now.  But, have I got you right, that it's possible, at low tide, to wade across from the Talsarnau side to Portmeirion, through the channel of the Afon Dwyryd?   Preferably with a careful reading of the tide table, which this laddie clearly omitted.

When, a few years ago I walked the Cumbrian coast I did well at finding guides to take me over the estuaries (Kent, Leven, Duddon and Solway).  On the Welsh coast --- now walked from Chepstow to Machynlleth --- wither they've been unfordable or I've had no luck with finding people who knew the crossings.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:03:11, 24/02/19 »
I think you are going to be disappointed Oldtramp, this thread is 6 years old and tabbycat hasn't been on the forum for the last 5.

Oldtramp

« Reply #8 on: 21:20:12, 24/02/19 »
Thanks, Ridge, and noted.

But worth a punt; cats sleep a lot of the time!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:24:31, 24/02/19 »
But worth a punt; cats sleep a lot of the time!
;D

You could try PMing him.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:02:03, 28/02/19 »
Shame this is an old thread and the pics aren't showing.  Always love a good coastal shot! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:25:41, 28/02/19 »
Shame this is an old thread and the pics aren't showing.  Always love a good coastal shot! :D

I can see the photos however they all have a "photobucket" watermark in the corner  :(
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:50:59, 01/03/19 »
I can see the photos however they all have a "photobucket" watermark in the corner  :(
Noticed this post yesterday and no photos, I opened it as I recall the topic from 2012, because Mrs BWW and I did an estuary walk of similar distance off Ynys Llas the year before. Just opened up and all the photos appear. Have photobucket relented?

"Proudly hosted by Photobucket", blazoned across each image rather gives the impression that a companies goolies are in a vice or is that an incorrect deduction?

Now that the photos have reappeared it is interesting to see the map, a linear walk from station to station. Our walk at Ynys Llas was circular with only a few hundred yards above the high tide line, we walked in bare feet following the tide out. My photos were nearly all close ups with interesting lighting effects on shells, jellyfish and so many other images that caught my eye, over a hundred.

We still talk of that walk, only started as a stroll down to the water's edge and then measured the distance and found we had walked over 8 miles.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Oldtramp

« Reply #13 on: 16:24:55, 02/03/19 »

Good photos and map now we've got them back

So, I'm tentatively reckoning that one could leave Harlech around 3h after high water, reaching a point opposite Portmeirion - 8 miles on- at around low water, then to cross directly.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy