Author Topic: Seatallan to Caw Fell  (Read 1372 times)

photonut

Seatallan to Caw Fell
« on: 16:46:07, 27/03/18 »
I wonder if anyone can help with a route/ path I'm trying to find.

I have seen a few peoples' walk blogs/ sites taking in the route from Seatallan to Caw Fell along a path that is partially visible on aerial views (on OS site) until just after High Pikehow.  I have followed the path until this point then I cannot seem to see it no mater how hard I look.  Does such a path exist between the side of Haycock and Brown Band?  Or have people just done this 'off-piste'?

Many thanks in advance for any help
Cheers
Lee

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Seatallan to Caw Fell
« Reply #1 on: 15:21:22, 12/04/18 »
Not done it, but AW route heads north west at the foot of the snout of Haycock before turning up a grassy rake - and Ridge of this parish says the same in this TR http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34981.0 - this is the route we are aiming for this weekend so I'll confirm next week, unless we get stuck in the bogs.

Paul

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 15:31:01, 12/04/18 »
Not done it, but AW route heads north west at the foot of the snout of Haycock before turning up a grassy rake - and Ridge of this parish says the same in this TR http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34981.0 - this is the route we are aiming for this weekend so I'll confirm next week, unless we get stuck in the bogs.

Paul

Nice one Paul, just in time for me to walk it next weekend :D

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:40:56, 12/04/18 »
Yep - I'll do the research - it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:40:50, 12/04/18 »
You can definitely go Seatallen, High Pikehow and up on to Haycock.
I think, but haven't done it, that you can head NW under the crags and pick up the path coming down from Haycock.

photonut

« Reply #5 on: 18:04:13, 12/04/18 »
Yep - I'll do the research - it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it!

I shall await the results from your extensive research.. good luck  O0

You can definitely go Seatallen, High Pikehow and up on to Haycock.
I think, but haven't done it, that you can head NW under the crags and pick up the path coming down from Haycock.

Thank you Ridge

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 19:17:42, 22/04/18 »
To answer my own question..... yes this route is possible.  The paths are generally narrow tracks and often quite indistinguishable from the surroundings at times. Hence the reason they do not show up on aerial views.

Yesterday I walked from Caw Fell to Seatallen, turning downhill from just South West of Little Gowder Crag (following advice from a bloke I had chatted to whilst walking from Haycock to Caw Fell).  The scree is easily avoidable and the route brings you to the cairn that AW mentions to look for that is meant to indicate the start of the the grassy ascent up Haycock on the SW face/ hill side.  Eventually bringing you to High Pikehow.

Oh yes...... It does help if your left leg is much shorter than your right leg for a good portion of the walk too if going from Caw Fell to Seatallen   ;D

Subsequently I had two groups of people asking me about this route whilst ascending and descending Seatallen :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy