Author Topic: Tips for LEJOG, please  (Read 9624 times)

AFANASIEW

Tips for LEJOG, please
« on: 18:41:03, 27/03/18 »
For my sins, and after retirement later this year, I plan to walk the weather map next year. I'll do the northern side of the SWCP, the English Coast Path round to Brean, Offa's Dike, the Llangollen canal to Middlewich, via Congleton to the Limestone Way, The Pennine Way, then Mark Moxon's route to the West Highland Way, the Great Glen Way to Inverness, finally to sample the new John o'Groats Trail. The only LDWs I've done are the PW in 2015 and part of the Cumbria Way last year. Oh, and I'll be doing a chunk of the SWCP this year. Any tips you have to offer would be much appreciated. In particular I'm finding accommodation planning really difficult.
I've blogged about my plans to date starting here.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for LEJOG, please
« Reply #1 on: 19:20:21, 27/03/18 »
When I was planning to do it I just visited every web site with accommodation e.g. YHA, B&Bs, camp sites etc. and made a very long list that I could take with me that will now be out if date.  Not bothering to book anything in advance but taking a tent, sleeping bag and mat in case I couldn't find accommodation - no cooking stuff.  As it turned out I hurt my hip so I didn't get too far however I will be completing the last bit in May having walked the LDPs and the bits in between.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:26:09, 27/03/18 »
As well as being physically fit, make sure you are mentally prepared for it..............its a long way!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #3 on: 22:49:33, 27/03/18 »
Thanks Sparnel, I'm pretty bull-headed but also have strategies for little goals along the way. You just have to get to the tipping point, beyond which it would be stupid to give up.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #4 on: 22:57:17, 27/03/18 »
Harland, the idea of going without cooking gear is interesting. Not sure it's for me, though - need coffee and nosh. Would prefer to do it with 20lbs max on my back, i.e. without tent and sleeping bag. You mst have put a lot of time into your list of potential accommodation.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:47:41, 28/03/18 »
I worked on the basis that I wouldn't starve and I could either eat somewhere in the evening before or after pitching the tent or just pick up a snack to eat in the tent.  Pack up in the morning and eat/drink at the first place that was open.  I did need to lose weight! :D

AFANASIEW

« Reply #6 on: 11:19:42, 28/03/18 »
A far better system than Weightwatchers!  O0

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:16:10, 28/03/18 »

Not sure. I find if I don't get the calories in on long walks I get hungry, tired and cross.  Then I lose concentration and get lost, which leads to getting more hungry tired and cross.
I don't carry a stove though, just LOTS of food.   I imagine doing LEJOG you have to really look into where you can restock and make sure you don't end the day on a packet of crisps and an empty stomach.  I doubt if you will have to put any effort into losing weight.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #8 on: 12:47:02, 28/03/18 »
With you on that one, Islandplodder. When doing the PW I really regretted my early start from Horton, breakfasting only on emergency rations; what should have been the finest day of the journey was not enjoyable at all because, being hungry, I was grumpy and full of gripes. Refuelling in Hawes magically set the world to rights again.
With that in mind, I'm currently plotting potential lunch or snack stops as well as accommodation for LEJOG.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:11:38, 28/03/18 »
The Ancient Unicorn at Bowes reopened about 3 years ago.  Close enough to the PW and a decent alternative to the Tan Hill. Good food and beer last time I was there (2016). Also if Sleightholme Moss after the Tan Hill is likely to be too "mossy" there is a credible alternative drier route to the east in the form of a shooters' track.
Solvitur Ambulando

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:15:08, 28/03/18 »
AFANASIEW If you care to message me with your email address I'll send you a copy of the list I made that I have managed to find.  It does go to 17 pages so I had better not post it on here!

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:43:34, 28/03/18 »
Re-accomm on Lejog. When I did it a few years ago, I didn't book ahead more than one night.  Carried a small tent for some of the way but then abandoned it. Took and used a bivvy bag & sleeping bag.  I found if I didn't pass accomm when I was ready for stopping for the day, I went into a hostelry and found that someone there, if not the landlord, knew someone or somewhere where I could stay the night.  Added to the adventure not having pre-booked accommodation.
Never found getting food a problem. Always had 'emergency' rations just in case though.  O0

AFANASIEW

« Reply #12 on: 21:58:38, 28/03/18 »
Thanks for the update, ninthace, but not sure it warrants the extra mileage. Plus, as Bowes has been barren for so long, there's not a lot on the Web about the route.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #13 on: 22:01:25, 28/03/18 »
Interesting, Sparnel - in the spirit of Hillaby. Why did you abandon the tent? Did you kip out with just sleeping bag and bivvy bag?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:18:14, 28/03/18 »
Thanks for the update, ninthace, but not sure it warrants the extra mileage. Plus, as Bowes has been barren for so long, there's not a lot on the Web about the route.

Main & alt PW routes Tan Hill to Bowes http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1607
Main& alt PW routes from Bowes to Blackton. http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1614

Depends where you make your stops as to how you stage it (Thwaite or Keld to Bowes is doable.) Tan Hill is expensive and IMHO over rated.  There was a village shop/post office in Bowes too, up the road from the pub, https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-way/services/bowes-village-shop-and-post-office.
« Last Edit: 22:30:55, 28/03/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy