Author Topic: Walking in Kent, what's missing today.  (Read 925 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Walking in Kent, what's missing today.
« on: 20:29:11, 13/04/18 »
I was idly wandering around on the internet this afternoon and came across a 1957 black and white film called 'Adventures in the Hopfields; starring a child actress of the time, Mandy Miller. She of 'Nellie the Elephant' song fame. I remember her as a child, she now lives in the USA and is now 74 years old.

For those who are interested in a bit of visual UK history/nostalgia I think its worth a look, especially if you know anything of Kent. It was filmed in and around the village of Goudhurst which I knew very well in my youth and which I walked through when I hiked the High Weald Trail a couple of years ago. The village centre still looks the same today as it did then.

To view it, type '123movies.fm/watch/EdZw09vp-adventures-in-the-hopfields.html' into your browser. It only lasts 60 minutes.

It made me realise that as we walk around the country today, all sorts of ways of life have disapeared, perhaps even in our lifetime and for ever. As a child, hop picking was a big thing in my life, it was one of our yearly 'big earners', as it was for hundreds of London working class families, and for me it was the time when I first became aware of girls! Happy days but all gone now, the hop picking machine was invented in the early 60s and that was it, gone!

I bet Forum writers can identify all sorts of these types of ways of life that have disapeared from all over the country. As an adult now I still find I'm always intersted in such things.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in Kent, what's missing today.
« Reply #1 on: 18:27:48, 16/04/18 »
I'm not so old that I remember hop picking ( ::) ) at all but being Kent born and bred I'm very aware of Kent's past agricultural past and the part it played to many visiting families back in the day. There was a really good program, I think It may of been Countryfile, that featured David Essex who shared his experiences of visiting the the hop fields with his large family as a kid. It certainly looked idyllic and must of been (literally) a breath of fresh air for the families that came from London back then.
roll on the weekend

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:59:51, 16/04/18 »
Yes, I saw that as well. and enjoyed it. My wife said doesn't he look old!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:54:25, 17/04/18 »
In the midlands the seasonal farm labour came from the industrial town communities. Sugar beet hoeing and Potato harvesting. On leaving school I was given the job of ganging the 20 + women from Dawley town, now part of Telford. It was hard graft the women worked really hard but they knew how to make their mark, if a large part of the days harvest was'nt to end up in Dawley despite a generous allowance, I had to keep a close eye on all parts of a woman's anatomy,

I'd just left school thinking I'd finished my education, the first day on that field was another learning curve. The field was called Twenty Acres, it is now 20 acres of air space above a dual carriageway. ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy