Author Topic: Recommendations for hiking shirts?  (Read 1540 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Recommendations for hiking shirts?
« on: 10:11:30, 17/07/18 »
I want to buy a couple of long sleeved hiking shirts. I don't want buy the expensive models, so my price ceiling is around £30-40. I'm looking for ones with actual collars, easy to wash by hand, quick to dry and after drying will retain their shape and not look madly crumpled as well. Any colour but not tan.

At the moment I'm tempted to buy from Decathlon (under £25 each) but I'm hoping I can be steered by you to other reasonably priced brands. Thank you.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for hiking shirts?
« Reply #1 on: 11:42:28, 17/07/18 »
I wear long sleeved Craghopper shirts at this time of year.  They soak up the sweat, wash easily, dry quickly and are very comfortable.  They have also proved to be surprisingly durable despite being worn with a pack - some I have had for several years.  I wear them in combination with a Tilley hat and lightweight trousers (Craghoppers too).  Having had skin cancer once and hating the feel of suncream, this is the ideal combination to keep the UV at bay while staying reasonably cool.
Solvitur Ambulando

RogerA

« Reply #2 on: 12:03:24, 17/07/18 »
I quite like these Campri shirts from sports direct - long in the body which suits me - on the cheaper end of your price scale:
https://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-baselayer-top-mens-402080

RogerA

« Reply #3 on: 12:04:50, 17/07/18 »
I wear long sleeved Craghopper shirts at this time of year.  They soak up the sweat, wash easily, dry quickly and are very comfortable.  They have also proved to be surprisingly durable despite being worn with a pack - some I have had for several years.  I wear them in combination with a Tilley hat and lightweight trousers (Craghoppers too).  Having had skin cancer once and hating the feel of suncream, this is the ideal combination to keep the UV at bay while staying reasonably cool.
I love my craghoppers and can be out walking looking like an advert for them - however I've never bought their shirts - they all seem to have high cotton content - am I looking at the wrong craghopper shirts or otherwise missing something?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:46:23, 17/07/18 »
Sadly, over the years I've bought more hiking shirts than I'm ever likely to wear out. And tried a fair few different brands. I'm almost cured now...

But one I'd recommend in 30 to 40 quid price range is Paramo Cambia zip neck. List price is 45 quid, but if you do a quick google, confident you could get for mid thirties.

Can't think of any particular fault with them. Nice feel, zip neck an advantage for temperature regulation, and the reversible idea (wear one way round in cool weather, other way in hot) actually works.

Certainly having tried a fair amount of shirts...this is my preferred one in hot weather. (Tend to use Merino wool stuff in cold weather.)
« Last Edit: 12:50:02, 17/07/18 by pauldawes »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:02:38, 17/07/18 »
I took a Paramo Cambia with me to Austria last month. It was ok but it absolutely honked by end of the day whereas the Craghoppers shirts went 2 or 3 days before they made their presence felt.  The Cambia was also much warmer despite its reversibility. I would say they are good for a normal summer's day in the UK but not when the heat is on.  The shirts are much looser and cooler.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:09:44, 17/07/18 »
Sports direct are currently having a huge shirt sale with an extra 20% off if you buy through their app.I bought a couple of karrimor merino tees a while back, so far so good. But as you are looking for shirts with collars they may just have something at the right price.
Too little, too late, too bad......

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:26:03, 17/07/18 »
I took a Paramo Cambia with me to Austria last month. It was ok but it absolutely honked by end of the day whereas the Craghoppers shirts went 2 or 3 days before they made their presence felt.  The Cambia was also much warmer despite its reversibility. I would say they are good for a normal summer's day in the UK but not when the heat is on.  The shirts are much looser and cooler.

Those are good "contra-points" (the tendency to honk, and best temperature range for use).

( I realised when seeing your post that my rec was swayed by my usual walking habits. I rarely do multi- day walks, and I almost never go out in really hot weather.)

Kukkudrill

« Reply #8 on: 17:55:42, 20/07/18 »
I love my craghoppers and can be out walking looking like an advert for them - however I've never bought their shirts - they all seem to have high cotton content - am I looking at the wrong craghopper shirts or otherwise missing something?

Craghoppers Kiwi shirts are a 65/35 per cent polyester/cotton blend. Craghoppers Nosilife Adventure shirts are all-nylon, but more expensive than the Kiwis. Then there are Peter Storm travel shirts (available from Blacks and Millets), also nylon, but cheap. This shirt is made of thicker gauge nylon than average - good for durability, not so good for hot weather.

I have all three. The Kiwis seem to retain moisture more (in the form of visible damp patches) while you're walking. But I've made a direct comparison of how long the shirts take to air-dry on a line after washing in a machine. To my great surprise, the Kiwi shirts dried just as fast as the nylon shirts. So I wouldn't worry too much about the cotton content. 
« Last Edit: 18:03:22, 20/07/18 by Kukkudrill »
Make the most of the available light

Troggy

« Reply #9 on: 14:02:04, 24/07/18 »
Rohan make some good long or short sleeve walking shirt. I've got a couple of em and that lasted years. Craghoppers are good too but Rohan have the bigger pockets in my experience...therefore I can carry more junk!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:15:03, 24/07/18 »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I looked, looked and looked and tried on. There are some lovely shirts out there and I'm sure perhaps wonderfully effective, but in the end I decided to go for 'cheap' so have just bought one from Decathlon. For me, hiking shirts are not something I would wear every day, only when I'm hiking, so I decided that £30 would be my maximum spend. I actually spent £22. The shirt may be fine or rubbish, I'll find out on my next walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy