Author Topic: Bouncing back when things go wrong!  (Read 980 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Bouncing back when things go wrong!
« on: 14:52:07, 19/07/18 »
By my standards, 2018 to date has been a bad year, the first since I semi retired. I made loads of plans last January but they sort of evaporated when I got a leg injury in February which did not heal until late May, plus some family illness which have all now resolved itself.

I've managed a Meet in the Lakes, two separate weeks in France and nearly a week in Wales. I had a short period of feet problems, but now resolved and I'm just getting passed a brusied little toe.

I now find that everything negative is behind me, so for me where to hike next? I really fancy a longer hike. I've considered hiking the Pennine Way again but although it is the cheapest I keep losing enthusiasm for the idea.

One of my January plans was to hike the GR20 (now too expensive to get to and from) or the GR5. The GR5 is a possibility but I'm now also considering the GR11 in Spain, starting at Irun and then hike to Auritz. I could then turn onto the GR65 to St. Jean Pied du Port and return to Hendaye, France on the GR10. The route appeals to me, I've already walked from Hendaye to John Pied du Port so doing it the other way around is appealing. My problem now is to turn my idea into an actual journey and hike.

This highlights for me another problem, for me it gets worse year by year, maybe some of you experience it as well? The hiking route idea is now in my head but as I get older the one thing that really, really bores me is making the journey to the hiking start point. During the past few years I have waited for so long, sometimes hours, at airports, trains and bus stations, sitting on cross channel ferries, or driving my car, just to get to the start of a hike. The novelty of travelling for me has really worn off. Returning time can be just as bad, especially when feeling exhausted as well. When I start to plan I find myself groaning as to how long it takes to get anywhere but I know it has to be done.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Re: Bouncing back when things go wrong!
« Reply #1 on: 15:26:26, 19/07/18 »
 :) Hello GWM.
I'm the same age as you ,and I know how you feel . :-\ ::)
Us Old UNs keep going even with our problems .
We need to freshen up things a little .
So as you have put all the Negative things behind you ,and are getting your enthusiasm back .
A change of scenery is what you need .
And dispel all the long distance motoring sailing and flying .
 I suggest you let the train take the strain and go from Sunny Portsmouth to North Wales to the Beautiful Island of Anglesey.
The Welsh coastal path 200 kilometres circular route Clockwise or Anticlockwise  It is stunning and very relaxing the scenery is so variable .Mostly flat No exhausting steep hills or mountains to climb highest point . Holyhead mountain gentle climb ..
Lots and lots of campsites to choose from villages for food supply and lots of pubs .😀😉 with accommodation .
This is a very relaxing holiday type walk /hike .
It's just the tonic you need .
I can highly recommend It .
Regards
Ziza G  8) 8) ;) O0

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:29:22, 19/07/18 »
I agree totally with your last point the getting to and from is getting larger and larger in my mind as each year passes.  I just want to be beamed up to the start of each trip and home afterwards..
You could try the Camino Baztan but start at Biarritz airport instead of Bayonne, down that Camino to Pamplona then across the Camino Frances  to St Jean Pied de Port, then the connector path from St Jean to Irun and back up the coast to Biarritz via Hendaye.
plenty of Hostels on large parts of this circular.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:35:06, 19/07/18 »

One thing that I've got my eye on when I get the opportunity is a Scottish Highlands Coast to Coast; say Stonehaven to Mallaig. Railway stations at both ends, and what country to travel through!

Edit - did a Welsh coast to coast many years ago with my wife to be; Swansea to Conwy; took 11 days. Again, travel to the start and from the finish relatively easy.
« Last Edit: 15:39:24, 19/07/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:35:01, 20/07/18 »
Hi Gunwharfman

Glad to see that the injuries are mending - its such a pain that as one gets more time available to walk, the body starts complaining - one of the reasons I tend to do day walks from a fixed base is that I need to apply ice each evening to all the bits that otherwise would curtail a multi-day walk!

Funny what you say about travelling - when I travel solo I quite like the process and find it stress free, but when I travel with Mrs pdstsp and/or friends/kids I find the process frustrating.

Can't help you with most of your routes I'm afraid - I did the first week of the alpine section of the GR5 a couple of years ago (we wlaked from Evian to Chamonix) - wonderful walking but lots of ups and downs, as you would expect.  I loved it, but at the time I was recovering from a major accident the previous year which had left me unable to walk at all for three months, and then with lots of physio and recovery, so I may have found it harder than I would now.

Paul

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:49:25, 23/07/18 »
I agree about the travelling. When we did the Pennine Way we travelled from
Suffolk by train to Edale and then back from Berwick.  We shared a taxi from Kirk Yetholm with three others to save on costs but their trains were much earlier so we had to drop our bags and wander round for a couple of hours (we’d booked the cheap tickets!). From what I recall we had about three changes and the first train was late which had a knock on effect. We missed one train and had to run to make another. And to top it all my husband left his camera on the train which we never got back.  I remember on the last train thinking this time yesterday we were sitting exhausted but happy in the Border Hotel, it seemed like a world away!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:03:36, 23/07/18 »
Before I made my choice to go to the Pyrenees I had seriously thought about hiking most of the Pennine Way again, getting to Hadrian's Wall and then turning left to Carlisle. Maybe for my next hike?

MichaelUK

« Reply #7 on: 17:18:15, 23/07/18 »
I wild camped St.Cuthberts Way and St.Oswalds Way last week, 160 mile, on my own. Train from Durham to Berwick, £8. Bus from Berwick to Melrose £7.50. Plenty of villages, small towns along the way for food and drinks. Beautiful scenery on both Ways. My first ever camping/hiking trip, and Ive just turned 60. Im planning my next one, fancy the Cleveland way, relatively close to home

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy