Author Topic: C2C 03 July - 06 July 2018 Part 3  (Read 817 times)

johnberman

C2C 03 July - 06 July 2018 Part 3
« on: 22:12:16, 19/07/18 »
03 July - Day 9 Keld to Reeth 11 Miles

Stayed at the Orchard Caravan Park and the guy was great he got us table and chairs and made us feel very welcome

BLOG ENTRY - George.

We woke up had our now standard brekkie of bagels with peanut butter that none of us really like but we force it down!

We set off skirting the edge of a hill with amazing waterfalls on the way. It was very picturesque! We knew there was a tea room on the way so were planning to stop there for lunch. Got to the little village where bizarrely they had a massive black board in the road stating ‘funeral car park this way’ bit morbid but it is the north!

Unfortunately the tea room was closed so we had to go to the pub. The guy serving was the same guy from the night before. They get around round these neck of the woods! We all had a good baguette with salad which was just what the doctor ordered! Had a couple of pints of coke then sent off again.

We didn’t realise but immediately after there were several massive hills. We climbed to the top then realised we were nowhere where we were supposed to be. Tried knocking on a few doors but nothing. Ended up going down a gravel path that looked like cars had been on it and we came to a farm where a lovely farmer told us where to go and have a chat. While Lucia and John were getting the directions I was taken by a very beautiful pug called George that had one eye. We had a bit of a connection. I was telling the farmer how gorgeous I thought he was and he asked us if we wanted a puppy. We politely declined then before we were away he said wait there these lot need to be a bit more sociable. He disappeared to the barn and came back with 8 Labrador puppies!! We were all in heaven they were so cute and full of beans!! When we left a couple tried to follow us!

On our travels to this point we had seen about 20 dead rabbits on parts of the path so we asked the farmer about it and he said it was due to mixy! Which obviously Lucia and I did t have a clue about but John filled us in later! It was horrendous some had limbs but no head and vice versa!

We ended up still going a bit wrong and walked on the road for four miles which was a bit long and tedious but we got to the campsite and the guy was great. He gave us a table and chairs. It was 20p for 5 minutes in the shower so we had to be strategic! When we started unpacking the tents there was a fly infestation! Thought it would have died down post showers but they were swarming us! Hope they aren’t there when we are back!

Enroute to the pub there was a really random black car with orange flashy lights but the people in the car looked like kids wearing shirts and ties. When we got into the pub they eventually came in for a pint. Later on when I was at the bar the bar staff were talking about it asking if it had been a funeral. I then volunteered my information about the car and they didn’t have a clue. I was telling this to John and he straight away labelled them men in black and as we went for a second look the car bolted out of the car park. We have been keeping our eyes peeled for the Richmond Roswell since!

Now at a pub watching the football. Let’s hope this bit goes as planned otherwise I will have a very sad Dad!!

04 July - Day 10 Reeth to Richmond 10 Miles

Stayed in Bromton on Swale so just outside Richmond (cant remember the camp site name but there was a washing machine) but a good starting place for the next day

BLOG ENTRY -Corned beef

We met them a couple and they are the only other people we have seen doing it carrying everything so respect to them. The right choice they made as spending loads of money on light kit. We obviously didn’t do that. The day before this Lucia posted pretty much everything including her towel home! She’s trying to make me do it but I want my comforts!!

We set off and the night before there had been a boy about 20 that had said hi and asked if we were doing coast to coast. He walked with us for a bit and turned out he was on his own. Lucia and John weren’t that interested as he was slowing us down so we took a tactful wee/snack break that we told him to keep going on. It wasn’t too bad this day as we were walking to Richmond which has been the biggest town we have been in since we left London. We were craving a boots the chemist!!

The lunch today was a BIG moment! Me and John had been talking about corned beef and Lucia had said she hadn’t had it. When we were looking for what to get for lunch corned beef was right in front of our eyes so we went for it!! John even stole some Dijon mustard sachets from a pub to give it that extra je ne sais quoi!! Aaannnd she loved it!! Said she would have it with cheese next time which I’m not 100 Percent sold on but hey!

When trekked a final three miles into Richmond. First port of call was boots for blister plasters. Then co op for lunch the following day. Then it was time

For me to enjoy the sun with a Hendricks gin and cucumber. It was a bit of a mistake as we still had a mile and a bit to the campsite but you live and learn! Richmond was beautiful could have spent a bit more time there. Lovely

Market square and the charity shops looked expensive but great! We finished this night off with a takeaway and Stella!

05 July - Day 11 Richmond to Ingleby Cross 22 Miles

Stayed at the Blue Bell Inn - great place and very friendly staff

BLOG ENTRY -Animal farm

Last night we had a bit of a food related flop as we got to the campsite a couple of miles outside of Richmond. When john had called earlier to book we checked with the guy about food options and he had confirmed there was a pub not far down the road for a good meal. When we eventually got there asked the guy which way to the pub and he said we should get a taxi back into town. We were all a bit hacked off with this so we popped the tents up and then decided to get a takeaway. Found a beautiful Italian. The menu looked amazing! We all decided to get a normal meals, a kids meal and starters each as we were ravenous! After we had showered we called and they didn’t deliver! Our hearts sank!! Our only option was pizza pronto which as you can probably tell by the name it’s not the wholesome meal that’s intended after a days work! It was grease central but we sucked it up and got on with it.

When we woke this morning we all felt knackered and somewhat stodgy. Lucia and John did far better than me, I really didn’t want to get out of bed. But they forced me up and we had our standard brekkie of roll and peanut butter. Got walking and after yesterday’s success with Lucia’s navigation she led the way again. Albeit a tad possessive with the book ha!! But she did a fine job. We had worked out that after lunch we get lost and really slow down so she wasn’t telling us how long we had walked which was fantastic!

We were walking along and there was a field of baby horses and they were very sweet. Johns a bit afraid or horses and I’m not the biggest fan but we all petted them quite comfortably and as you can see by the picture they are hilarious and sweet!! We then had to walk through a field with two horses which was fine initially. As we walked through it I was a bit scared so Lucia said just keep walking straight on. The horse then started walking towards me and I was freaking out. John had one leg over the fence by this point. The horse is sniffing in my bag. I am terrified and about to jump over the fence. As I am trying to get over the fence the Horse is pulling me back as it’s biting my rucksack. I manage to get over the fence with John pulling me over and the horse still trying to get my rucksack. All while this is going on Lucia is trying to calm me and the horse!! Bless her! She then jumps over the fence and we have two more fields ahead of us with slightly smaller horses but still two in each field. Lu was great she basically chatted to the horses while me and john legged it! It still could have gone horribly wrong as the farmer had put barbed wire over the stile to get out. Luckily no injuries were gained in this process!!

With this whole barbed wire malarkey I also want to mention that farmers sometimes electric fence you out of he entrance to the path! There was one right xxx that has literally put up a 2 meter electric fence just over the entrance not even protecting his animals! After we had jumped over the fence we realised we had to jump over a second as he had put another electric fence in the way of the exit. We could see the [censored] on a rubbish digger

We then cracked on along a 4×4 path and then suddenly could hear barking. Two dogs appeared running for us and barking! Thankfully a woman came out calling them back but we were pretty shaken up! We then felt like getting back to nature as there was a field full of cows so Lucia started feeding them grass! They were so sweet, I have never seen a cows tongue! I made sure the first thing she did when we got to where we are staying was wash her hands!!

About half a mile from the village we are staying you have a dual carriageway you have to cross to get up the lane to the village. It’s completely mad that thousands of walkers cross this annually and there isn’t even a sign on dual carriageway notfifying drivers

About the walkers! They was a garage right next to it that we went to to pick up lunch for following day as we had decided to treat ourselves to breakfast the next morning! The guy in the petrol station was great. He asked us where we came from and where we were going he then told us that crossing the dual carriageway was like Frogger level one!! We managed to cross it but it’s so hard to tell car distances. We all legged it! I made Lucia hold my hand!

We crossed safely then it was a slow painful walk to where we are staying. Is a fab place though great pub and have a lovely pale ale on called hoptrick! Great stuff!! Right time to drink that and eat!

06 July - Day 12 Ingleby Cross to Blakey Ridge - 21 Miles

Stayed at the Lion Inn - great place and friendly and access to SHOWERS

BLOG ENTRY -Yellow brick road

Every time I write up the blog we can never remember where the hell we stayed the night before! We have walked 22 Miles today and that was after 21 yesterday so everything is killing! We have blisters galore! John is on the verge of losing three toe nails, Lucia one!

We have just worked out where we stayed last night. It was a great pub as I mentioned in the last of. We pitched our tents by a bush and it was the best nights sleep I have had the whole trip! I didn’t get up for one wee in the night which is pretty exceptional. Woke up naturally at 6 and managed to snooze till 6:30. We had breakfast booked at 7 but wanted to pack up the tents etc before brekkie so we were ready to rock. Had a good old fry up which we hadn’t done for a while which was great and well deserved. It was such a treat to have coffee made and no mucking around with washing up a cafetière and making sure we have water. We set off and we’re all in really good spirits me in particular. We all knew this was the last bad day and it’s going to get so much easier tomorrow and Sunday.

It was a big climb today, we had about three big ass hills to climb which were 1,500 feet above sea level. Lucia was navigating again so she made us keep on so we didn’t have a horrendous walk after lunch. We stopped off at a cafe about 8 Miles in. Had a coke and cookie then carried on. We did really well with snacks today so kept on snacking and didn’t have lunch till 3:30 when I could hears johns belly rumbling a mile off. Had our lovely sandwiches that we bought from the petrol station that I was semi dreading. Lucia had coronation chicken obviously- she wasn’t truly happy as it was a bit heavy on the butter. I had prawn and crab which in hindsight was an awful idea. I made John swap one for mine as he had ham and tomato which had travelled well. The prawn/crab affair was pants. We then set off again did a couple of miles along a track then onto a 4×4 path which went on FOREVER. We had about 6 Miles after lunch which doesn’t sound too bad but when your exhausted it’s awful. The feet are literally pulsing with pain. It’s worse stopping than continuing. This track went on and on and on. Lucia had headphones on to get through it. I could tell John was dying so we were singing hymns and then were trying to workout what happened to Jesus in the run up to easter. I really confused things by adding Ash Wednesday into the mix. I had to ring my mum to double check what was going on and they were also on a walk so it was via my dad as she can’t hear on the phone. So a broken, Chinese whisper summary of Ash Wednesday was what we got. It was nice to hear different voices as that’s the weird thing. You don’t see people for Miles so when you see someone or hear a different voice it really lifts you.

Tonight we are staying at a great place called the lion inn. It’s a pub and it’s 2.50 each a night! How great is that! Cheapest one yet and potentially best one yet. It’s fully in the middle of nowhere. We are 1300 feet at this pub! They offer a shower also. So we put up the tents and then headed straight to the shower. They even supply towels!! We had a nice white fluffy towel. The slightly bad news was that the shower was luke warm but seriously today has been the dirtiest day. I had mud and dirt all up my legs and we were all covered in salt from the sweating. We then booked a table and we are sat here now. It’s quite funny as this is obviously quite a big night out in wherever the hell we are. The portions look huge I have ordered lasagna and chips, Lucia chicken stroganoff and j fish cakes. Me and j hitting the wainwright pints. We didn’t realise when we pitched the tents but there are sheep in the field so after yesterday’s adventures let’s hope we don’t have a run in with any animals in the night!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy