Author Topic: How to judge how far you could walk  (Read 4084 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: How to judge how far you could walk
« Reply #30 on: 09:44:30, 12/09/18 »

Anyone who has attempted and successfully or failed to complete a hundred miles non stop, needs praise, not daft comments that make little sense on the subject being discussed.
Only those who have been there would understand.

andybr

« Reply #31 on: 13:52:44, 12/09/18 »
Growing up in North Yorkshire during the 70's most peoples introduction to walking would be a school organised Lyke Wake Walk. Assuming that you finished it you then knew that you were capable of walking at least 40 miles and anything else was considered an easy stroll. While I migrated to the hills most of my friends who actually carried on walking went in the direction of challenge walks and the LDWA. Sadly I have since found out that managing 40 miles as a teenager does not mean you can do it forever.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:05:41, 12/09/18 »
Growing up in North Yorkshire during the 70's most peoples introduction to walking would be a school organised Lyke Wake Walk. Assuming that you finished it you then knew that you were capable of walking at least 40 miles and anything else was considered an easy stroll. While I migrated to the hills most of my friends who actually carried on walking went in the direction of challenge walks and the LDWA. Sadly I have since found out that managing 40 miles as a teenager does not mean you can do it forever.

A friend organised a group  Lyke Walk to celebrate his 40th wedding anniversary. He’d done it a few times before with his wife, but none of the rest of us (about a dozen) had.

We set out just after midnight (as idea was to complete same day) and finished about 6pm, which was roughly the plan. (A couple of other walkers we worked with at time refused to come with us because pace was too slow for them.)

We were met with a support van several times...so no need to carry much at all, and hot drinks, food, change of socks, etc all easily available throughout. My reaction at end of walk was that doing it that way (and with some one who knew exact route) made it easier than a 20 mile solo walk carrying all own kit.

But pretty sure I’d struggle to get anyway near that distance now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy