Author Topic: Warm base layer for winter walking?  (Read 2688 times)

Reinhardt

Warm base layer for winter walking?
« on: 21:50:42, 18/11/18 »
My wife runs cold and needs a solid performing base layer for UK winter mountain hiking. Any recommendations?

I'm currently looking at two options, one synthetic and one merino:

1) Patagonia Women's Capilene Thermal Weight Zip-Neck
Synthetic

2) Bergans Snoull Lady Half Zip
Merino wool 290.

Is there a clear winner? I guess the Cap is more flexible because I've seen it used as a mid-layer. Merino should be better for odour. I assume the Cap dries better although she doesn't sweat a huge amount because she runs cold.

I'm leaning towards the Cap but the popularity of merino is making me think otherwise.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Warm base layer for winter walking?
« Reply #1 on: 23:23:41, 18/11/18 »
I have a couple of GoOutdoor's merino base layers. Quite a bit cheaper than the big names and are wearing well.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:15:33, 19/11/18 »
I have a couple of GoOutdoor's merino base layers. Quite a bit cheaper than the big names and are wearing well.
My merino tops are Crane brand from Aldi - even cheaper!  ;)
Skip

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:46:37, 19/11/18 »
I think you summed up the pros and cons pretty well.

Choice comes down to relative importance you attach to those...if I was choosing between similar male products, I’d go for the Patagonia for winter walking, becauuse the extra warmth would be more important than the odour resistance (since I never do multi-day walks in winter.)

Reinhardt

« Reply #4 on: 07:06:21, 19/11/18 »
Thanks for the tips about the cheap merino, but are they just as warm? Merino tops vary so much, from tops that are pretty thin that are designed for summer walking (e.g. 140g per sq metre) to tops that have no declared merino density, to "merino" tops that are actually <50% merino.

The one I mentioned in the original post is 290g per sq metre which is pretty thick for a base layer so I guess it should be warm, but haven't seen much chat about it. (Can you assume thicker is warmer? Doesn't always work like that for other materials.)

The Patagonia seems to be well established as a warm base layer so I'm leaning that way at the moment, even if it's a tad pricey. My wife runs so cold that an extra £50 will feel pretty cheap if we ever find ourselves out in unfavorable conditions. She'll layer on top, but she typically wears 3-4 layers for Spring/Autumn walks so a good base is imperative for winter walking.

Magic girl

« Reply #5 on: 08:27:17, 19/11/18 »
I personally can't wear merino base layers as i find them too itchy,have you considered bamboo base layers? There is a site called bam and i really like their base layers but they're not cheap.I've not heard anything bad about patagonia stuff but its a bit too pricey for me,don't discount tops for runners as thats what i mainly use as i run as well as hike and they have worked fine x

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:17:40, 19/11/18 »
Plenty of big box stores like Decathlon have loads of thermal baselayers for a few quid. No fancy technology claims but they seem to work just as well as anything. They are after all just knitted polyester.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:06:37, 19/11/18 »
I have three types of baselayer all with long sleeves. Synthetic, easy to wash, easy to dry, great for the hotter months. Merino, I'm not personally keen, makes me itch and lastly I have a bamboo baselayer! The bamboo is the softest and the warmest, but although its easy enough to wash, it takes that much longer to dry.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:27:12, 19/11/18 »
Another cheap base layer wearer here.  Never owned an expensive one.  IMO it’s pointless paying for a brand name nobody will see. 

Polyester is only stinky if you’re wearing it more than once between washing it and yourself IMHO.

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 21:03:08, 19/11/18 »
I have a reversible top from decathlon which is warm one way round and warmer still the other way. Its very warm indeed.

I also have a couple of icebreaker merino long sleeves. Theyre itchy at first, but after worn and washed once or twice they settle down. They don't smell and are very warm despite being very thin. Of course u still need a decent mid layer.

I'd say bodies are easy to keep warm thhouugh really. I find the most relief from the cold in neck and head protection.

Hope that helps

Maggot

« Reply #10 on: 22:24:36, 19/11/18 »
I have a reversible top from decathlon which is warm one way round and warmer still the other way. Its very warm indeed.

I have a Paramo one like that.  How do they work?  It is the same fabric either which way you wear it isn't it?  I can never remember which way round is supposed to be the warm way either, and I have never noticed the difference!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:46:08, 19/11/18 »

I have a Paramo one like that.  How do they work?  It is the same fabric either which way you wear it isn't it?  I can never remember which way round is supposed to be the warm way either, and I have never noticed the difference!

They're usually smoother one side and more fuzzy or gridded, or both, the other side. Theory is that the fuzzy side traps air against the skin and, if damp, holds less water against the skin making it warmer.
Smooth side against the skin spreads sweat out and evaporates it quicker off the larger surface area of the rough side. Supposedly.

A lot of people say it makes little to no difference between especially if used with layers on top.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:32:55, 20/11/18 »

I'd say bodies are easy to keep warm thhouugh really. I find the most relief from the cold in neck and head protection.

Hope that helps

Yes, that’s a good point (about head/ chest protection) I think. For some reason, find a winter buff much better than a scarf.

And reasonably tight fitting long johns make a big difference.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:57:13, 20/11/18 »
I am a fan of Peter Storm gear from Millets. I've bought one of their thermal base layers over ten years ago, still using it.
Hate will never win

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:19:33, 20/11/18 »
IMO it’s pointless paying for a brand name nobody will see. 

Sorry to learn that, you'll find someone one day  :'(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy