Author Topic: Llyn (Lleyn) Peninsula coastal path info please  (Read 3145 times)

chrismen

Hi, I’m a newbie here, but lurked for a long time on OM.

I’m hoping to backpack the Llyn Peninsula coastal path once the weather improves. Looking at the maps, the northern section looks rather sparsely populated. Will I find many places for food supplies?

Chris

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Llyn (Lleyn) Peninsula coastal path info please
« Reply #1 on: 12:39:47, 20/03/19 »
We backpacked a large proportion of the Lleyn path many years ago when its length was 53 miles, the new route is 84 miles.
You shouldn't need to restock supplies more than once or maybe twice. On the northern section there are grocery outlets in Clynnog-fawr, Nefyn and Aberdaron.

chrismen

« Reply #2 on: 13:10:43, 20/03/19 »
We backpacked a large proportion of the Lleyn path many years ago when its length was 53 miles, the new route is 84 miles.
You shouldn't need to restock supplies more than once or maybe twice. On the northern section there are grocery outlets in Clynnog-fawr, Nefyn and Aberdaron.
Thanks!
Trefor looks a reasonable size for a shop, and I’m hoping some of the campsites may have some essential items. And of course pubs :-)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:03:33, 24/03/19 »
I have a Llyn  Peninsula walk in Mind when the weather's warmer and the paths and trails dry out .
It's what I call the Triangle .
Pwllheli, Aberdaron , Nefyn.

joncombe

« Reply #4 on: 17:32:09, 24/03/19 »
I think only the stretch between Nefyn and Aberdaron will be a problem (there are shops in both these places). There is a beach shop and cafe at the beach at Porth Oer (Whistling Sands but it is seasonal and also may not open even during the season if the weather is poor.
Not sure about campsites having shops, best best is Google I'm afraid.
It's a beautiful area though and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

If you are using the official guide be aware that the path is now right along the coast north of Porth Oer. This is not mentioned in the guide and the maps and direcgtion show you have to divert inland along roads. Happily this is no longer needed (though I recall ending up doing a much longer walk than intended as a result!). It's a great bit of coast and it's good that access has been improved.
The people too are very friendly.

I do remember catching a bus from the end of the road leading to Porth Oer (there was if I recall one a day to Aberdaron and on to Nefyn). The driver was very chatty (probably because I was the only passenger to start with) and probably the friendliest bus driver I've ever come across. He told me I was the first passenger that had got on there in the years he had been driving the route! Since he was chatty I asked him if there was a shop in Nefyn and if we stopped near it so I could get lunch - he told me there was but "there is a much better bakery on the route, I'll stop there so you can go there". I said I was very grateful but didn't want to make him wait be he assured me it was no problem "we're very relaxed on this route". True to his word he stopped the bus outside and waited outside for me to get lunch before setting off again. Never had that before or since, ,so it sticks in my memory. I think the bakery was in Aberdaron if it helps (the bus took a very round-about route!). 

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:41:19, 24/03/19 »
The last time I camped In Tudweiliog at  Tan-Lan Campsite,
There was a Shop and a Pub In the Village also .
Not far from the coastal path near Towyn beach .might be helpful .
for you  Chrismen.........................

And to joncombe

;D :)  I thought the story of the Lonely bus driver ,looking for company very funny  ::) :-\ :o
And the Beautiful Port Oer  ,great beach a hidden gem .
All the Llyn Peninsula is great place for walkers hikers and sceneary

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:00:59, 25/03/19 »
Do call in at the Ty Coch Inn at Porth Dinllaen, a stunning spot for a lunch time pint on the beach.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

chrismen

« Reply #7 on: 19:35:41, 25/03/19 »
Do call in at the Ty Coch Inn at Porth Dinllaen, a stunning spot for a lunch time pint on the beach.
Looks good. I'd better make sure I get the miles covered before lunchtime! :P

Thank you all for the other feedback, hints and tips.
I've just got the "Llyn Coastal path" by Des Marshall (Kittywake Books, 2018) and it shows the updated route compared to my older OS maps. Total length is now 97 miles.
The website ukcampsite.co.uk shows over 100 sites on the peninsula. I usually plan each day's walk and overnight location, but this time I may see how far I get each day.
I must say it looks like an interesting walk, likely in mid-to-late May - weather permitting.
Thanks, Chris

Oldtramp

« Reply #8 on: 23:43:24, 05/05/19 »
I went round over Easter --- half a day from Criccieth to Pwllheli then full days Pwllheli to Porth Neigwl, Porth Neigwl to Aberdaron, Aberdaron to Tudeiliog (a long pull) and half a day from Tudweiliog to Nefyn.  Mostly stayed at the hotel in Nefyn and used the coastal bus to and from start/finish points.   The tip of the peninsula is really impressive and there's a nice Indian restaurant - Bombay Joe's - in Nefyn.  

You'll get supplies in Nefyn, Tudeiliog, which is only half a mile off the path, but then nothing much to Aberdaron,  just a beach cafe at Porthoer  Except for a few stretches between Porthoer and Nefyn the surface is already pretty dry; I hit bad mud only once (and sank badly). 

Try to reach Hell's Mouth at low tide; I had to follow field paths round at high water, which was tedious; at low tide the sands are passable, though the entry or escape at the W end may be a bit iffy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy