Author Topic: Wild Camp - on Google.  (Read 2862 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camp - on Google.
« Reply #15 on: 18:49:05, 31/05/19 »
The originating website, still in beta and incomplete, starts with a howling error (or deliberate deception) on its home page: wild camping is not illegal in England and Wales.
I notice the 'Landowner Login' button on the 'About' page too.

More to the point, there are no wild camping sites listed on the website at all.
It's just someone with a half-baked idea that they could make themselves some money, isn't it?
And/or to publicise a book that so far has earned one crap review on Amazon.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:53:01, 31/05/19 »
More to the point, there are no wild camping sites listed on the website at all.

I got the impression that they decided the pitch spots and emailed them privately to the suckers, er... clients, hence none listed on the site, otherwise people could just go to those spots independently.
Anyway, clearly a scam  >:(

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:02:05, 31/05/19 »
I got the impression that they decided the pitch spots and emailed them privately to the suckers, er... clients, hence none listed on the site, otherwise people could just go to those spots independently.
Anyway, clearly a scam  >:(
A bit like Air BnB for campers then. Getting landowners to make a few pennies from letting to campers without licenses, safety inspections or insurance and in this case no facilities. Yep defo a scam. You know what, it could work. After all Deliveroo and Uber and the above mentioned Air BnB started off as  scams that seem to work for their very wealthy owners.
Too little, too late, too bad......

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:29:29, 31/05/19 »
 There were articles about this in the Telegraph and Guardian.
 https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/may/30/charging-wild-camping-20-pound-pilot-scheme-england-national-parks
 It seems as this Harris character is a marketing consultancy expert out to make a fast buck.Whilst his idea seems absurd to us there is a real risk it might  put ideas into the heads of farmers and landowners and put real wild camping at risk.It will be matter of pay your twenty quid or the pegs come out.

myxpyr

« Reply #19 on: 21:44:21, 31/05/19 »
Seems to be a variation on the sites that will do things like renew your driving licence/passport etc. The site are nothing to do with DVLA/Passport Office and charge you a heft "admin charge" for doing something you can do yourself either at a fraction of the fee or for free. >:(

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:29:15, 01/06/19 »
It's supported by DEFRA, so it has official government backing already.

Using UK in the name is a bit off considering the laws are different in Scotland. 

For £20 I want a toilet, shower and breakfast!

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:34:02, 01/06/19 »
Oh it also appears to be supported by the national parks. 

Warbler

« Reply #22 on: 16:28:32, 01/06/19 »

This malarkey probably explains the temporary closure "for significant improvements and upgrades", by the new owners of the High Titten site at Amberley on the South Downs Way?

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/south-downs-way/news/high-titten-campsite-closed-upgrade

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:55:43, 01/06/19 »
It's supported by DEFRA, so it has official government backing already.
Oh it also appears to be supported by the national parks. 

Do you have independent evidence to corroborate the claims?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:40:28, 04/06/19 »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:41:27, 04/06/19 »
.....and a detailed article here:
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2019/06/03/uk-wild-camp-suspends-pay-to-pitch-scheme-after-outdoors-community-uproar
which includes a great many comments at its end.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:41:09, 04/06/19 »
Thanks for the link fernman, I saw that article last night.

"Lake District chief executive Richard Leafe figures large on photographs posted on the ukwildcamp.org Twitter page"

Another fine mess he has got himself into  :D
Hate will never win

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:19:27, 04/06/19 »
Thanks for the link fernman, I saw that article last night.

"Lake District chief executive Richard Leafe figures large on photographs posted on the ukwildcamp.org Twitter page"

Another fine mess he has got himself into  :D
He isn't the real culprit.This is the guy behind this grubby scheme.https://www.linkedin.com/in/will-harris-baa0613/?originalSubdomain=uk

Basically he is a spin doctor out to make money.Perhaps he should consider refunding taxpayers money that has been wasted on this absurd project.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:41:30, 04/06/19 »
He isn't the real culprit.This is the guy behind this grubby scheme.https://www.linkedin.com/in/will-harris-baa0613/?originalSubdomain=uk

Signup is required to view the content.
I am posting this to urge any innocents on our site NOT to do this!
If you do, Linkedin will continually send you unwanted business-related emails, and they will never let you off the hook, as I found out to my cost when I signed up to their related site SlideShare. My only recourse has been to set up a filter to send them to Trash as they arrive.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy