Author Topic: Sleeper to scotland - where?  (Read 3245 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Sleeper to scotland - where?
« on: 09:57:18, 18/11/16 »
I've fancied getting the sleeper to Scotland for ages so want to plan a trip. I don't know Scotland at all well so was wondering where to start looking for a weekend trip backpacking and wild camping - although a Bothy would be a very welcome addition. Probably 2-3 days with my son.

I know this is a bit of an open ended question but any suggestions of which train stop to travel to and some rough ideas to get me started would be very welcome.

Cheers

N

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeper to scotland - where?
« Reply #1 on: 16:03:33, 18/11/16 »
Hello  -  take the sleeper train to Corrour. It is the most remote station in the UK.  Great back packing from there! (It's on the Fort William Line). I'm sure others on here will give you ideas for walks and wild campin pitches.  Have a great time.............assume you will be going next Spring/summer.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:37:17, 18/11/16 »
If you take the train to Corrour you could walk through to Ben Alder bothy. Stay there and next day climb Ben Alder and camp out the next night around Loch Pattick then walk out to Dalwhinnie to catch the train back to Edinburgh and the sleeper home. It's a classic trip.

snoopdawg

« Reply #3 on: 19:49:21, 18/11/16 »
Another classic or classics, take the Inverness train, off at Blair Atholl up Glen Tilt up to the Geldie and either continue up to and through the Lairig Ghru or Glen Geldie/Feshie and up to Aviemore for the return trip. Take 2 1/2 days over it, bothies en route, Corrour in the Lairig or Ruigh Aiteachain in Glen Feshie.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:16:57, 18/11/16 »
Some crackin' suggestions there...............let's know what you decide and eventually do.  O0

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:31:34, 22/11/16 »
Brilliant - thanks a lot. I'll get some maps out and look into these.

JohnHyperActive

« Reply #6 on: 19:48:46, 26/11/16 »
I did a few days with my 14yr old son at the end of August. We alighted the Caledonian Sleeper at Rannoch at 9am then crossed Rannoch Moor to the Kingshouse hotel (7 hours), where we camped out the back. Then spent a couple of days around Glen Coe before catching a bus back to Bridge of Orchy at the sleeper back to London.

Kingshouse is now closed for 2 years for refurbishment but was a wonderful find for using their fire and bars of an evening.

Nothing spectacular here, just a few dates of peace and tranquility..

john

snoopdawg

« Reply #7 on: 20:43:22, 26/11/16 »
Information is that the Kingshouse hotel is closed for 18 months but that the new bunkhouse is open

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy