Author Topic: LDW Recommendations  (Read 3010 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: LDW Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: 14:25:23, 02/02/20 »
GWM so no wild camping as a right unless permission from local tenant.
The folks in charge of protecting the wall for future generations beg people not to walk on the wall or camp within its shelter. People have been seen using pegs into the wall and even using stones to stop their tents blowing away. There are plenty of woods within easy walking distance where you can hide out for a late set up early getaway.

Ninthace the Antonine Wall was  built to keep us hemmed in.  ::)
Seriously though I was at a talk in what used to be the Hancock Museum in  the Toon and one of the senior Archeologists was saying that it was just a sign of strength to encourage the locals both sides to go through the permitted gates to pay duties on the goods they were carrying. So basically a Customs border rather than military. Ditto the Antonine but that didn't get the expected revenue so was abandoned. That thinking may have changed over the last 7 years.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:02:16, 02/02/20 »
That is how I understood it too.  The area to the north was not considered worth developing as the return would not be worth the effort.  Instead, build a wall as a sign of authority and status - here endeth the Roman Empire - and create choke points to collect taxes from those who had come to a different economic conclusion.  That said, if the natives got restless and decided to go south, it would slow them down and give the lads a chance to gather in strength to show them who was dominus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:52:24, 02/02/20 »
The walls weren't the end of the Roman Empire, there were forts and even a large town as far north as present day Aberdeenshire.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:11:05, 02/02/20 »
The walls weren't the end of the Roman Empire, there were forts and even a large town as far north as present day Aberdeenshire.
The extent of the empire varied over time - were the forts and town contemporary with H's Wall?
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:52:05, 02/02/20 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:57:51, 02/02/20 »
I tried Google but couldn't find a large Roman town in Aberdeenshire, only forts - what was it called?
Dates vary according to source but it seems the forts in N Scotland are mainly part of the Agricola campaign 80-84 AD.  Construction of Hadrian's Wall started in 122AD.  The Antonine Wall was built 142AD and abandoned 162AD.  Hadrian's Wall became the border again in 164AD and was eventually abandoned when the Romans withdrew.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:14:03, 02/02/20 »

« Last Edit: 22:32:19, 02/02/20 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Little Foot

« Reply #22 on: 09:11:48, 03/02/20 »
Appreciate all the advice folks!

Hadrian's seems pretty much what I was after. It looks like it would be varied, with lots to hold our interest. I did read an old post though from a teen who had done it with his dad, moaning that it was awful as they were up to the knees in bog.  :o  That's why I hadn't thought of it before. Is it fairly easy going or are they going to be very difficult parts like bog?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:24:31, 03/02/20 »
I did read an old post though from a teen who had done it with his dad, moaning that it was awful as they were up to the knees in bog.

What?. Were they miles off course?.
I did it last April and it's very easy going throughout, perhaps slightly muddy field paths after rain but no bogginess at all.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:39:27, 03/02/20 »
I tried Google but couldn't find a large Roman town in Aberdeenshire, only forts - what was it called?
Dates vary according to source but it seems the forts in N Scotland are mainly part of the Agricola campaign 80-84 AD.  Construction of Hadrian's Wall started in 122AD.  The Antonine Wall was built 142AD and abandoned 162AD.  Hadrian's Wall became the border again in 164AD and was eventually abandoned when the Romans withdrew.

Watched a TV program on a dig at this site sometime last year. It would seam they are reviewing their understanding of what was happening back then. Can't remember the name and can't find anything on Google. Only had a quick look.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #25 on: 11:36:01, 03/02/20 »
Little foot? If like me you live in the flat part of east yorkshire , be prepared for the hadrians wall ups and downs! Its very hilly along the middle bit with a lot of steep ups/downs but the scenery is amazing and along with all the history it truly is an amazing place!
Ive always fancied doing the tabular hills walk, it starts at helmsley and finishes at scalby mills or vice versa! Its 48miles long and goes thru hills and fields and quite a few forests(chance for a wild camp maybe). Easy to get to and from and wouldnt be too taxing on the legs.
"if in doubt, flat out"

Little Foot

« Reply #26 on: 19:16:59, 03/02/20 »

What?. Were they miles off course?. I did it last April and it's very easy going throughout, perhaps slightly muddy field paths after rain but no bogginess at all.

I shall try find the post, but had a quick look on my lunch and couldn't see it. Can't remember what I searched for it to come up.

Little foot? If like me you live in the flat part of east yorkshire , be prepared for the hadrians wall ups and downs! Its very hilly along the middle bit with a lot of steep ups/downs but the scenery is amazing and along with all the history it truly is an amazing place!
Ive always fancied doing the tabular hills walk, it starts at helmsley and finishes at scalby mills or vice versa! Its 48miles long and goes thru hills and fields and quite a few forests(chance for a wild camp maybe). Easy to get to and from and wouldnt be too taxing on the legs.

Yes, it's very flat round here, and I think the city I live in is pretty poor when it comes to decent walking spots. I feel I'm right to be a bit wary of the hills, and it being too much for us, so I'll delve into it a bit more and certainly take on board your suggestion. Thanks.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:19:54, 03/02/20 »

Watched a TV program on a dig at this site sometime last year. It would seam they are reviewing their understanding of what was happening back then. Can't remember the name and can't find anything on Google. Only had a quick look.
One of the possible Roman settlements was Devana, which is possibly located at or near Banchory. I believe there was also a large fort near Kintore. These forts could be like small towns, as the number of soldiers could be large. There was also some thought that there might have been a settlement at Cawdor in Moray, due to aerial pictures, but there was little archeological evidence found, which I believe is common at these supposed sites in northern Scotland. The battle of Mons Graupius may well have taken place in Aberdeenshire. That is reported to have had 30,000 Caledonian troops that were routed by half the number of Romans.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:04:13, 03/02/20 »
When I walked from Peebles towards Edinburgh last April I remember walking on what was a Roman road and I also saw a small sign stating the site of a Roman bridge was up ahead. I couldn't establish where it actually was so I walked on. Soon after the village of West Linton about 15 miles from Edinburgh, I remember walking on a couple of Roman roads which are still in use as tractor/footpath routes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy