Author Topic: Scafell Pike + Snowdon  (Read 8491 times)

mikefromEngland

Scafell Pike + Snowdon
« on: 07:08:24, 07/09/07 »
Hi all,

I've been in to this walking lark for over a year now and have managed to do Sonwdon twice (Pyg Pass and Llanberis Pass) and Ben Nevis once.  Add to that countless Pen y Fans and the general Brecon Beacons area.

However, next weekend I'm doing a double header.  Scafell Pike on Friday and down to Snowdon on the Saturday.  I've never done Scafell Pike and I'm not sure at this point which route we're following.  How does Scafell compare to the other big 2?  I strangely found Ben nevis easier than Snowdon after being told it was the hardest.  Lots of people now tell me Scafell is the hardest so I really don't know what to expect.

Any advice / opinions / insight would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Mike

Snowman

Re: Scafell Pike + Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 08:26:38, 07/09/07 »
Sorry, never done it myself either.    Please let me know how you find it because I will go there one day.

I went up Snowdon via the Rhyd-Ddu path.   

Never been up Ben Nevis.    For us southerners it's a bit of a trek to travel that far.

S.

peter60

« Reply #2 on: 10:23:22, 07/09/07 »
I believe that the Corridor Route is one of the most interesting routes up Scafell Pike, but a little long. The standard route is from Wasdale Head at the tip of Wast Water. A steady climb.

I think Rhyd Ddu is one of the best routes up Snowdon, Snowman. The Bwlch Main ridge just below the summit giives you a taster of what Crib Goch is like, only a lot shorter and a lot less intimidating. One of my best days out.

« Last Edit: 10:41:12, 07/09/07 by peter60 »

mikefromEngland

« Reply #3 on: 14:03:37, 07/09/07 »
We have talked about the Corridoor and will probably do that one.

As for Ben Nevis, you've got to give it a go.  Its well worth the 2-3 hour flight up North.

I'll let you know how I get on next weekend.

Cheers

Mike

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 15:22:15, 07/09/07 »
I've done Ben Nevis and Snowdon both by their horseshoe routes- ie. CMDA and via Crib Goch.  They're both big walks - much bigger than any single route up Scafell Pike.  I would say Scafell Pike is probably the easiest as a single mountain climb.

As for routes do it from Eskdale via Great Moss or from Wasdale via Piers Gill, Brown Tongue route is by far the least interesting.
From Seathwaite - Grains Gill or Styhead/Corridor are pretty good too if you're staying near there.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:54:44, 20/09/07 »
I dont want to upset anyone but i think SFP is the most over rated mountain in the U.K, its terrible and the last section is just a pain in the ar**.

Saying that i do end up going up it a bit though out the year, so i suppose i have a love hate thing going on.  :D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

fledgling

« Reply #6 on: 20:07:20, 07/10/07 »
i done both snowden and Ben Nevis, snowden is hard going but the views fantastic, a little disappointed in  the summit as its very commercial, but the upside is you can get a hot bowl of soup before you start back down, ;D Ben Nevis was just brill. and i would do it again just cos i can, the views are breathtaking, in the middle of summer there was snow on the top, and the fighter planes were flying lower than me....real weird.... and a little scary......... next spring we do scafell from wasdale, cant wait, but the hardest walk i have done is a stretch of the Cornish coast path this summer it took me 4 hrs to do 4 miles how bad is that :-[ next hardest was helvelyn but on that day i was a bit under the weather with a stomach bug so gotta do it again when fit to really appreciate it, let us know how you get on

fledgling

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy