Author Topic: FIRES?  (Read 5567 times)

darksky

• Veteran Member
FIRES?
« on: 17:58:29, 02/10/07 »
Im planning on having a small fire whilst im wild camping in the lake district..,probally at this lovely little spot ive picked out on the very edge of Ennerdale and Buttermere lake, now i wont start it untill late at night plus it will be made very proper and with safety issues in mind and when ive finished with it I will bury the mess and make absolutley sure you wouldnt know that I was ever there..,does anyone have any thoughts on this? ALSO what would happen if  a Ranger  was to catch me at it?  I know fires are very much frowned upon but a nice/safe little fire at your camp toasting marshmellows,well you just cant beat it can you? its so romantic and not to say bloody lovely and warm.Anyway thats enough of my soft side,you cant beat a good campfire can you?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: FIRES?
« Reply #1 on: 18:00:58, 02/10/07 »
AND WHO ARE THESE RANGERS? THEY DONT WALK AROUND AT NIGHT LOOKING FOR SUCH THINGS DO THEY?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

peter60

« Reply #2 on: 18:19:40, 02/10/07 »
Not only are fires illegal, wild camping is illegal in England and Wales.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:28:15, 02/10/07 »

Er .. <<whistles>>  ;)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:32:47, 02/10/07 »
I KNOW YEH..,can you shed any light on this MR B {no pun intended}

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:41:47, 02/10/07 »
I KNOW YEH..,can you shed any light on this MR B {no pun intended}

Well, to be honest Darksky, I've never had a fire.

I have wild camped a few times, and while Peter is right, I believe it is something that is accepted (put up with) providing you don't leave a mess, cause any damage or interfere with your surroundings (breaking bushes back or the like).

Check out the old wild / ad hoc camping thread.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:54:37, 02/10/07 »
cheers MR B i will.., and PETER60 i was more interested in what YOU/YOURSELF thought about the campfire thing not if it was elegal or not though i know it is..,thanks for letting me know about the legal side of things about it though just incase i didnt know thanks..,im still gonna have one though i guess. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE RANGERS?

titaniumdude

« Reply #7 on: 21:09:27, 02/10/07 »
I used to work for the National Park Ranger service on Dartmoor years ago and you wouldn't see any of them wondering around at night unless they'd had a tip off about some criminal skulduggery (such as poaching) or unless they happened to be pursuing their own interests or monitoring nocturnal wildlife in an area.  If someone took the ssip, had a bloody great fire and then hung around the embers until late the next morning then they would get a visit from the ranger.

Once camped about 100m from the ranger centre in Sherwood Forest for nearly 2 weeks in a camouflaged bivi, had a fire every night and never once got spotted  O0
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Deerplay

« Reply #8 on: 23:18:06, 02/10/07 »
Used to do a bit of Voulenteer/Part Time Ranger work in the West Pennines. As others have suggested. Rangers work 9-5 7days a week unless they're on the lookout or pursuing a special interest. I did know a Lakes Ranger who operated in the same way. Camping is not illegal if you don't intend staying overnight. You can legally put a tent up at dawn and take it down at nightfall ;). Fires are not encouraged, but if you don't take the Michael with this or anything else, I can't see anyone bothering you overly.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:49:12, 03/10/07 »
 O0 nice 1 titaniumdude and deerplay thats what i wanted to hear..,thanks..,and it'll only be a small fire,with safety and leaving it as i found it in mind.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:26:24, 04/10/07 »

Irish travellers don't seem to have much problem with the powers that be when they wild camp on grass verges,burn scrap (usually to burn the insultation off stolen copper cable),and leave half a ton of rubbish when they vacate the site so why should people worry too much about overbearing officals who want to put everyone on an "offical campsite" complete with a control freak warden?

Like everything else in life if you use a bit of commonsense it isn't a problem.Obviously it would be idiotic to make a fire on a tinder dry moor but at this time of the year a stray spark is unlikely to set fire to the entire moor.If you walk the West Highland Way you will find evidence of camp fires all along the banks of Loch Lommond.

peter60

« Reply #11 on: 11:11:29, 04/10/07 »
Why have any legislation at all? Heck, why don't we all do as we please? Because that would be anarchy. The reason we don't allow people to start fires in the wild is because sooner or later some numbskull will set fire to several acres of Dartmoor or some similar area, kill a load of wild animals, burn down some trees, damage property and maybe even kill somebody.

However responsible anyone on this forum may think themselves to be, authorities are responsible for the safe management and regulation of the countryside for all. That's why rules should be obeyed and the office of the wardens be respected.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:38:23, 04/10/07 »
 The majority of fires on moors are caused by arson or people dropping cigarette tips.I am not aware of anyone loosing control of a camp fire and setting fire to a moor.You can have thousands of rules and regulations but if you can't enforce them they are meaningless.I think we all know that enforcing wild camping and fire regulations is almost impossible and the authorities have to rely on the goodwill of walkers and also recognise that the majority haven't got a wet cabbage for a brain and are unlikely to destroy the environment by camping on a piece of grass for one night.

Wild camping isn't illegal in England and Wales provided it is done above a certain altitude.

peter60

« Reply #13 on: 13:23:01, 04/10/07 »
Wild camping is illegal in England and Wales without the land owner's permission. It is tolerated in high and remote areas, but not strictly legal.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:56:12, 04/10/07 »

Wild camping is illegal in England and Wales without the land owner's permission. It is tolerated in high and remote areas, but not strictly legal.

Again,it is one of those "laws" that is impossible to enforce.IME the authorities aren't interested in evicting wild campers as its far too expensive.Recently I reported a guy to the local council who had been camped in one of our local wildlife parks for three weeks.His tent was concealed in the trees.The reason I reported him was due to there being no sanitation facilities and his continued presence being damaging to the environment.The council weren't really interested and six weeks later he is still there.It turns out he is from Poland and is working in a local factory.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy