Author Topic: Dover to Cape Wrath walk  (Read 9734 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

Dover to Cape Wrath walk
« on: 22:16:53, 28/06/20 »
I've done too much sitting around during the lock-down. So to get my body and mind right again, I'm setting off to try and walk 1000 miles from Dover to Cape Wrath shortly. So all going well I'll return home in September, happier and healthier. I've just finalised my gear list and route plan, so can't wait to get going now. I'll be trying to wild camp all the way and following The North Downs Way, Grand Union Canal, Limestone Way, Pennine Way and The Scottish National Trail.  
I've included a link to my blog if you wish to follow my progress:   https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/06/28/dover-to-cape-wrath-walk/  

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Dover to Cape Wrath walk
« Reply #1 on: 23:05:29, 28/06/20 »
Sounds great and I'm looking forward to following your progress.  :)

The only part of your route I can claim to know well is the North Downs Way. As you know, there are two choices between Dover and Boughton Leas (near Ashford) - via either Canterbury or Folkestone - and I see you've chosen the latter, which I think is the far more scenic route and a brilliant start to the adventure!  O0 
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:32:06, 29/06/20 »
Grand Union Canal
My sister has a canal boat business on the Aylesbury Arm.  Faster to walk though.

Was it you who forgot your pants on the LEJOG?
« Last Edit: 08:36:15, 29/06/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

watershed

« Reply #3 on: 09:13:34, 29/06/20 »
Sounds fantastic WW all the very best of luck to you.
I will look forward to reading your blog.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:15:55, 29/06/20 »
Great Plan! Walking through populated areas wouldn't be my thing, but I walked the northernmost part of your route and that was awesome. I walked a from Milngavie to Cape Wrath last year (early spring) following the WHW and CWT and I loved it! Fantastic wild camps, especially on the CWT. Make sure you camp your last night at Sandwood Bay :)

Good luck with your walk!
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:39:35, 29/06/20 »
Sounds good. Nice easy walking along the canal towpaths, less easy as you near Cape Wrath!

Good luck.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:26:20, 30/06/20 »
I think its a grand idea, LEJOG, everyone does that!!

When I go away I use an Android app, 'Real Time GPS Tracker 2' on my mobile phone. My wife checks where I am every day on her laptop and If I haven't moved for say 12 hours, she would just assume that I'm in trouble. In 2015 when I hiked the GR10 across the Pyrenees my 'charity sponsors' used it as well, I didn't want them to think I was sunbathing on a beach somewhere. It also gave them a greater interest in me as well, I wasn't 'out of sight, out of mind' so my donations went up!

I also carry a Pebbell alarm around my neck as well which in an emergency can be used as a mobile phone as well.

They have never been tested though, so far I've never had a 'good enough' problem to worry about. I've fallen over, (more than once) I've slipped down banks, (more than once) I've had a few bruises, I've been attacked by a cow, have been 'ransacked' by pigs, I've  sat on an ant nest and have run the gauntlet of wasps, but nothing more than that.

astaman

« Reply #7 on: 19:56:18, 30/06/20 »
Sounds great. I enjoyed your Lejog blog very much - looking forward to the next one. Good luck with it.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #8 on: 07:59:01, 03/07/20 »
Thanks very much for your comments and encouragement. And yes, I did forget my spare pants on LEJOG! I've definitely packed some this time. Planning very much underway now, and I am aiming to start next week.

emdaw

« Reply #9 on: 18:21:29, 04/07/20 »
Good luck hope you get the weather, very much enjoyed reading your LeJog blog.  Out of interest what boots/shoes are you planning on using?

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:15:28, 05/07/20 »
I met a young lady from Belgium doing this walk 2 years ago (to the day actually!), and wild camping, I could hardly lift her backpack!

Met at Garrigill, her day 44 since getting off the ferry in Dover, walked together towards Alston.

She had an amazing number of walks she had done all around the world ....

Around the coastlines of Iceland, Ireland and New Zealand were a few!!

All this against doctors orders!

If you've ever met a more cheerful walker I'd like to meet them, hope all goes as planned, with maybe a few adventures thrown in!!  ;)

rigby

« Reply #11 on: 06:23:57, 07/07/20 »
..I use an Android app, 'Real Time GPS Tracker 2' on my mobile phone. My wife checks where I am every day on her laptop and If I haven't moved for say 12 hours, she would just assume that I'm in trouble.
that sounds interesting.. how much juice does it use on your phone?

rigby

« Reply #12 on: 06:28:11, 07/07/20 »
sounds like a plan! without looking how many miles of the Grand Union will that be? careful you don't get labelled a gongoozler  O0

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:27:41, 07/07/20 »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:24:53, 07/07/20 »
My tracker and its 'juice' use? Sorry, no idea. Its never caused me to notice if it drains my battery quickly?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy