Author Topic: Photo hosting sites (again....sorry)  (Read 4690 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Photo hosting sites (again....sorry)
« Reply #30 on: 07:32:09, 23/05/19 »
Glad you got sorted Jac.

Mel, if people don't resize their photos they don't display correctly on Android. Don't know about iPhone. They also take more data which is again more of an issue for people on mobiles than broadband. I think I remember reading guidance on the forum intro texts when I signed up saying resize the photos too, although I can't promise I didn't inadvertently make that up!

According to this site the Facebook image URLs do expire after a few weeks like I thought. Is it right? Don't know, let's come back here in 5 weeks time and find out.

Warbler

« Reply #31 on: 10:08:39, 23/05/19 »
Hmm....that's strange. All I can see is a box saying "image not found". However, in the "My best pic of the day" thread I can see your images.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:36:11, 23/05/19 »
Hmm....that's strange. All I can see is a box saying "image not found". However, in the "My best pic of the day" thread I can see your images.
Same here now, but I did see a couple of moths earlier when viewing on my ipad.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:57:01, 23/05/19 »
Moths can be very illusive - especially when they are inadvertently deleted while adding more pics :-[ sorry
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 11:00:07, 23/05/19 »
Moths can be very illusive - especially when they are inadvertently deleted while adding more pics :-[ sorry
  Ah - digital Flit!
Solvitur Ambulando

Warbler

« Reply #35 on: 11:02:14, 23/05/19 »
That would explain it  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:30:16, 23/05/19 »

The moths - actually Orange Tip butterflies behaving naturally - may now be viewed on the 'what about other animals thread'  ::)
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2666.msg547685#new

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 17:21:02, 23/05/19 »
Mel, if people don't resize their photos they don't display correctly on Android. Don't know about iPhone. They also take more data which is again more of an issue for people on mobiles than broadband. I think I remember reading guidance on the forum intro texts when I signed up saying resize the photos too, although I can't promise I didn't inadvertently make that up!

According to this site the Facebook image URLs do expire after a few weeks like I thought. Is it right? Don't know, let's come back here in 5 weeks time and find out.

I don't get an option to resize my pics, either through FB or my blog (which I now use).  If I use my phone in landscape mode then any pic displays correctly, whoever posted it and however it was uploaded  O0

As for FB image URLs expiring after a certain length of time... yes they do.  Look back through trip reports from, say, a year ago... many images are simply not there anymore.  I do also wonder if the forum auto removes certain sized images after a certain length of time to preserve bandwidth(?) or something  :-\

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:26:21, 23/05/19 »

I don't get an option to resize my pics, either through FB or my blog (which I now use).  If I use my phone in landscape mode then any pic displays correctly, whoever posted it and however it was uploaded  O0

FB automatically resizes pictures unless you turn on upload in HD then I don't know what happens then as I've never turned it on. Don't know about your blog.

Edit: I hate landscape mode but nice tip.
Edit 2: I just went through your posts, your blog images are the size I recommended people resize to so I believe your blog also automatically resizes image.

I do also wonder if the forum auto removes certain sized images after a certain length of time to preserve bandwidth(?) or something  :-\

Offsite images don't use any of the forums bandwidth which is presumably why we have to use hosting sites rather than upload directly so I wouldn't expect it removes them.
« Last Edit: 17:41:22, 23/05/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 17:44:28, 23/05/19 »
To be honest, I don't really care that much so long as I can see some pics with a trip report at the time I read it.  If they're a bit wonky when I look at them on my phone then so be it  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:52:34, 23/05/19 »
To be honest, I don't really care that much so long as I can see some pics with a trip report at the time I read it.  If they're a bit wonky when I look at them on my phone then so be it  :)

It's OK for you you've got a computer to look at them on, I've only got my phone to view with. Your blog automatically resizes BTW as I looked at your blog images linked to on here and they're the right size (640x480). I care and I wish people would upload them in the correct size for viewing on all platforms. Mostly they do but occasionally there's a wonky TR.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:47:08, 23/05/19 »

Edit: I hate landscape mode but nice tip.

I would have thought that most photos on here would be of landscapes, so landscape mode would seem to be appropriate.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy