Author Topic: Wetherby wander  (Read 714 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Wetherby wander
« Reply #1 on: 15:36:19, 02/07/20 »
Tuesday drove to Wetherby, parked on street for free  ;D  for a walk I partially knew, bits I didnt.
First along the old disused railway heading East out of town, wildflowers galore. oregano, yellow loosestrife (garden type?), bellflowers, more bellflowers, wild strawberries, meadow cranesbill, clustered bellflowers, pyramidal (?) orchid, dark (?) mullein, centaury, st johns wort. After this I was out into the Thorpe Arch estate area inc a prison and a Leeds Utd training ground, sfter this I got to a bridge over the river Wharfe. Crossed intending to walk at least as far as Newton Kyme (been there before), but the river had clearly been high and flooded the path, would have needed wellies. Couldnt get round as the field was flooded/badly overgrown, would have been a huge detour, so back to bridge, cross to North side n went along that path for a bit before turning back, got the dragonfly pic (eventually).
Turned back before getting opposite newton Kyme but cant have been far away. Back along south of river (saw fig trees growing and a jay) to Boston Spa, cross on bridge to North side, along road to meet Ebor way going West. Yet more flowers, hedge bedstraw (?), marsh woundwort, and the crags by the river path back into Wetherby. Not sure how far, maybe 9 miles?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:43:50, 02/07/20 »
Nice pics Pleb  O0 Was going to say "Oh are the wild raspberries ready now?" but I won't cos you said they were strawberries and I don't want to appear silly  :) I can't remember ever seeing a jay so you have one up on me  O0 Oregano? Is that the pink flower one? Only ever seen the leaves dried in a jar! I have been to Wetherby once on a course from Newcastle Libraries, I can't remember where we visited now, some building that had a connection to books, shame we couldn't go or a walk instead  :D
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:50:28, 02/07/20 »
Nice pics Pleb  O0 Was going to say "Oh are the wild raspberries ready now?" but I won't cos you said they were strawberries and I don't want to appear silly  :) I can't remember ever seeing a jay so you have one up on me  O0 Oregano? Is that the pink flower one? Only ever seen the leaves dried in a jar! I have been to Wetherby once on a course from Newcastle Libraries, I can't remember where we visited now, some building that had a connection to books, shame we couldn't go or a walk instead  :D
Yes the first flower pic, seen it before. Hell of a smell if you rub it and sniff your hand.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 00:33:13, 03/07/20 »
Great pics pleb O0
I like the damsel fly best
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:22:09, 03/07/20 »
Lovely pics. The detail on the dragonflies wings is amazing.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:23:36, 03/07/20 »
Nice pics, pleb - a profusion of flowers.

That jay was rather camera shy though, wasn't it? Lovely birds - had one in our garden for several minutes a couple of days ago - got a really good look at it (but no photo).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:55:01, 03/07/20 »
Nice pics - I like the googly-eyed tree  :D

snaderson

« Reply #8 on: 07:57:27, 13/07/20 »
Nice flower pics. I do like a pyramidal orchid. I did a walk in that sort of area (my mum lives nearby and I know some people in Boston Spa), starting at Spofforth and wandering north to Plumpton Rocks (closed). Hell Hole was anything but.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy