Author Topic: Dove Stones meet photos  (Read 11259 times)

yeti

• Veteran Member
Re: Dove Stones meet photos
« Reply #60 on: 23:16:12, 25/09/12 »
R.I.P. Dave.

BorderCollie

« Reply #61 on: 23:24:28, 25/09/12 »
I did offer to assist with weight ::) :-X . As for the four hours...well why not enjoy the scenery O0 .

You did and very kind it was of you. I was sort of challenging myself to see if I could carry everything I needed just in case I did a ten miler on my own.
Only kidding about knocking all that time off lol!!

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 01:45:09, 26/09/12 »

You did and very kind it was of you. I was sort of challenging myself to see if I could carry everything I needed just in case I did a ten miler on my own.
Only kidding about knocking all that time off lol!!
I was carrying two rucksacks at one point on the descent anyway. You looked perfectly capable of 10 miles or many more O0 . Time is for challenges and challengers. Enjoy the countryside. Take a break and enjoy it O0 . There is nothing wrong with taking time and absorbing the atmosphere. In fact its the best excuse to slow a walk ;)
R.I.P. Dave.

moonchip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 01:55:38, 26/09/12 »
[quote ]
 Time is for challenges and challengers. Enjoy the countryside. Take a break and enjoy it O0 
[/quote]

Well said !!

Especially on a circuitous route you already know where you'll end up (ie where you started) - but on any walk its the walk itself which is the destination not the end  point. The entire walk is there to be enjoyed.

If you walk too quickly, chances are you'll miss so much. Sometimes when I'm out I'll try to track an animal by reading the land, where it placed its feet, moved grasses, snapped twigs, scraped the ground. Other times I'll sit perfectly still and watch the wildlife around me - cheeky squirrels and curious bog owls.

Thats why I rarely walk with folk who charge off like its a selection test for the Royal Marines !! They miss so much, they may as well walk around a city  ;D ;D
“Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg.”

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 02:04:06, 26/09/12 »
If you walk too quickly, chances are you'll miss so much. Sometimes when I'm out I'll try to track an animal by reading the land, where it placed its feet, moved grasses, snapped twigs, scraped the ground. Other times I'll sit perfectly still and watch the wildlife around me - cheeky squirrels and curious bog owls.
When Iiswoz and I was navigating down there where no 'marked routes' on OS. Our group discovered a trodden track and knew it was the obvious choice by the footprints O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

moonchip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 02:15:40, 26/09/12 »
There are loads of routes and tracks over the Pennines / Dark Peak which don't show up on any map

Many are started & followed religiously by those most capable moorland navigators ........ sheep  ;)

Then humans start to follow them too - the paths, not the sheep ..... well, not unless you're that way inclined  ;D ;D ;D
“Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg.”

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 02:17:54, 26/09/12 »
There are loads of routes and tracks over the Pennines / Dark Peak which don't show up on any map

Many are started & followed religiously by those most capable moorland navigators ........ sheep  ;)

Then humans start to follow them too - the paths, not the sheep ..... well, not unless you're that way inclined  ;D ;D ;D
Adidas wearing sheep :D
R.I.P. Dave.

BorderCollie

« Reply #67 on: 02:22:31, 26/09/12 »
I was carrying two rucksacks at one point on the descent anyway. You looked perfectly capable of 10 miles or many more O0 . Time is for challenges and challengers. Enjoy the countryside. Take a break and enjoy it O0 . There is nothing wrong with taking time and absorbing the atmosphere. In fact its the best excuse to slow a walk ;) .

True, but I live in the countryside so I sort of do all my absorbing and looking when I'm at home. Having said that, I was blown away by the Yorkshire Dales and couldn't stop staring. ;D ;D

moonchip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 02:28:44, 26/09/12 »
Adidas wearing sheep :D

Adidas !!! Nah, not sheep ...... must've been grockles  ;D ;D

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 02:31:26, 26/09/12 »

True, but I live in the countryside so I sort of do all my absorbing and looking when I'm at home. Having said that, I was blown away by the Yorkshire Dales and couldn't stop staring. ;D ;D
You see countryside from your window. Isn't it like an old portrait or picture hanging? Its nice but a new angle always appeals? :) 
R.I.P. Dave.

iiswoz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 03:16:05, 26/09/12 »

spend some time in Scotland. yorkshire is like Birmingham on a Saturday afternoon in comparison.
« Last Edit: 03:32:15, 26/09/12 by iiswoz »
Honi soit qui mal y pense

treehugger

• Account Closed
« Reply #71 on: 09:16:12, 26/09/12 »
I still don't understand how walking from 11am to 7 pm inc stops we only covered 10 miles.......less than 1.5 miles per hour? That's slower than Royal Mail........

BorderCollie

« Reply #72 on: 10:18:08, 26/09/12 »
You see countryside from your window. Isn't it like an old portrait or picture hanging? Its nice but a new angle always appeals? :)
Exactly  O0
spend some time in Scotland. yorkshire is like Birmingham on a Saturday afternoon in comparison.
I am going up Ben Hope as soon as weather permits next year  ;D
I still don't understand how walking from 11am to 7 pm inc stops we only covered 10 miles.......less than 1.5 miles per hour? That's slower than Royal Mail........
Lol!! And it makes you more tired doing it slower sometimes.

di36mg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 12:38:46, 01/10/12 »
Great pics, shame you chose to do it the day I went away.. I could get paranoid about this but I wont..!  :D  See you went to Pots & Pans.. Was there myself the weekend before, lovely area.. Glad you had a good time.. x

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy