Author Topic: Paramo Alta 3  (Read 5360 times)

Matt010791

Paramo Alta 3
« on: 18:39:46, 22/08/19 »
Hi Guys,

Done a quick search on here and can’t really find much info about it. Been looking at the Alta 3 jacket everything written about it seems to be really good and just what I’m after, has anyone got any personal experiences of one? Cheapest I can find it for is £270 so I don’t want to rush my purchase, can anyone recommend one of its rivals around that price point? All I for will be appreciated, ta

Pitboot

Re: Paramo Alta 3
« Reply #1 on: 19:33:27, 22/08/19 »
I use a Paramo Alta smock in winter, and for cold and wet conditions, or snow, it's brilliant. The fit, pockets, venting, and hood suit me perfectly. The down side is that it's heavy if you compare it to "normal" ie shell, jackets.
Also you don't need too many layers underneath, I run hot so it's often just a winter base layer for me.
As soon as the temperature gets above about 10 c I can't wear it and be comfortable.
Others may have different opinions and experiences.
For £270 you can find excellent alternatives by Mountain Equipment and Rab, it's down to your personal choice.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:39:05, 22/08/19 »
I have a Paramo Alta II Jacket and a Paramo Cascada Jacket and trousers and am very happy with the performance of all three items in adverse weather conditions but find them too warm for summer use. Also bear in mind that Paramo gear does need regular washing and reproofing to keep them performing at their best. Paramo seems to be a bit of a marmite brand - some love it, some hate it, some find it too warm, some complain it's too heavy........and some find it just right.

eBay is always worth checking out for Paramo bargains although the bargains do mostly tend to be in large or small sizes and colours which don't sell that well.

In that price bracket one other jacket which does get mentioned a lot on here and elsewhere is the Mountain Equipment Lhotse Jacket so it's probably well worth checking that one out.

Whichever jacket you decide on you will find the best prices online but I wouldn't buy until you've tried one on for size and fit in a store.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:46:01, 22/08/19 »
I purchased a Paramo Alta 2 about 4 years ago, it might be five, it cost me £250 fro0m Go Camping.? I assume the Alta 3 is not that much different? I like the Alta 2 longish sleeves, not elasticated which I prefer, I liked the hood and I like the body length of it, it covers my bottom. The outside and inside chest pockets worked well.

The hip pockets didn't work that well when wearing my rucksack.  What I was not so keen was even the small size felt biggish on me (easy to live with though) and I felt it was 'heavy' (just me I'm sure!) and I was never totally sold on the idea that it was 'waterproof.' I proofed it quite a few times but was never really sold on this as a solution. It always seemed to get quickly wet on the inside, did it leak or was it just condensation, I was never totally sure? It was also, for me, too hot as a jacket in the warmer months so I quickly put it aside to wear in the colder months. I stopped wearing it about 18 months ago when the zip failed, just not prepared to spend about £50 to get it repaired.

By then I'd persuaded myself that I prefered a single skin jacket so bought a Marmot Precip, for me a much better option. But I was also strongly thinking a lot differently about keeping dry, keeping warm and keeping cool so have now moved on by dividing all of my clothing into two distinct groups, one group to do with cold, wind, heat and dry weather, the other group is how to deal with all types of rain, with or without wind at the time. I now use a cheap Champion long coat, cost me £15 and after my last few days of hiking in lots of wind and rain my coat works extremely well.

From my experience over the past few days (I experienced a lot of HEAVY showers!) rain is not really a problem! Its all to do with how you view it and plan for it. I belive its all of the other weathers that are the problem to plan for. One item that was always lacking in my wardrobe was a windshell, now that I have one (a Rab Vital) I consider it my most important item of clothing, by a mile!

Matt010791

« Reply #4 on: 19:55:52, 22/08/19 »
Thanks for the info everyone that’s really helpful! Yeah mountain equipment was the other brand I was looking at but there’s so many options with them. I’ll get out the precip aswell though

Matt010791

« Reply #5 on: 16:21:54, 23/08/19 »
Think I’ve settled for the Mountain Equipment Rupal jacket, I can get a good deal on one from go outdoors so I’m going to try one on tomorrow morning for size. Read a lot of reviews and the specs and it seems to be more than adequate for what I’ll be using it for

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:05:31, 23/08/19 »
I can't answer your question, but a week ago I was asking much the same one...

I always carry with me (even on warm sunny days like today!) a Berghaus Paclite 2 jacket and overtrousers - just in case. But for colder, windier, wetter weather I've been relying on a heavier Berghaus Hillwalker jacket. However, the problem has been that it's just too sweaty for me.

So I was looking for a replacement that was equally waterproof and a lot more breathable. I'd read both positive and negative reviews about the Paramo Alta 3 jacket so I had a look and instantly realised it wasn't for me. It's relatively heavy and bulky and, being one of those people who still set off overdressed despite years of supposedly knowing better, I didn't fancy having to stuff it in my backpack when I warmed up!

It's anecdotal I know, but I also spoke to someone who hiked with some people in Paramos in bad weather and said they got wet while she didn't. She said she was wearing a Rohan Vertex jacket.

So I visited Rohan to check one out and thought it was extremely promising, but expensive at £252 (inc. 10% discount). I went on to visit Black's, Cotswold Outdoor and Go Outdoors but nothing appealed like the Vertex, so I returned to Rohan and bought one.

Of course there hasn't been a drop of rain since I bought it, and I only mention all this because the Vertex is a similar price to the Rupal jacket - with similar features (although no pit zips) and it's a little lighter. Might be worth a look...
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Matt010791

« Reply #7 on: 17:21:30, 23/08/19 »
ill have a look into that one, always the case no rain when you want to test it out ha. Theres just that many options i just didn't know where to start, the Lhotse has great reviews but its a little out of my budget i think.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:38:56, 23/08/19 »
No rain, test it in the shower.
Too little, too late, too bad......

wobblyknees

« Reply #9 on: 23:13:14, 23/08/19 »
Comparing the Mountain Equipment Lhotse Jacket with the Paramo Alta is a bit like comparing chalk with cheese. The ME Lhotse is very waterproof, one of the best around but not renowned for its breathability. The Paramo Alta is highly breathable but definitely not waterproof. I know because I have worn one for years.

If buying the Alta 3, check paramo's size guide carefully. Sizes have changed from the Alta 2 to the Alta 3. The Alta 3 is a slimline version of the Alta 2.

Matt010791

Re: Paramo Alta 3 (UPDATE)
« Reply #10 on: 12:48:17, 24/08/19 »
So I went in go outdoors this morning and tried on every jacket possible ha after a good price match and the extra 10% off I went for the Mountain Equipment Lhotse! Cannot wait to get on the hills and test it out now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy