Author Topic: Newbie question about gaiters.  (Read 756 times)

Ray-S

Newbie question about gaiters.
« on: 13:37:54, 04/01/21 »
Ok maybe I am stupid but read on. Just bought myself a pair of Rab Hunza Stretch Gaiters which arrived this morning. Look to be very good for £23 and happy with them but having difficulty fitting them because the lace hook is (to me) the wrong way round. Have looked on youtube and they (other makes) all seem to have the lace hook turning inwards which would make it easy to hook onto the laces. Mine have the lace hook turning outwards which makes it very difficult to hook the laces as you have to stretch it forwards and turn through 180 degrees. Must be doing something wrong unless you do that bit before tying your laces.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie question about gaiters.
« Reply #1 on: 13:46:35, 04/01/21 »
On my Rab gaiters, the lace hooks go OVER the laces. It can be a little fiddly but if I just join the zips together, hook the lace and then fully pull up the zip it works easily. If I forget and fully pull up the zip and then try to secure the hook it just becomes irritating as I try to get it in place.

Ray-S

« Reply #2 on: 13:49:38, 04/01/21 »
On my Rab gaiters, the lace hooks go OVER the laces. It can be a little fiddly but if I just join the zips together, hook the lace and then fully pull up the zip it works easily. If I forget and fully pull up the zip and then try to secure the hook it just becomes irritating as I try to get it in place.

Issue I have is the hook goes UNDER the laces. Must be a technique to doing it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:57:42, 04/01/21 »
Have you been putting them on inside out maybe. ? I sometimes half wrap mine round my legs and then realise I have them inside out as the surface of the material is similar both sides..
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ray-S

« Reply #4 on: 14:09:45, 04/01/21 »
Have you been putting them on inside out maybe. ? I sometimes half wrap mine round my legs and then realise I have them inside out as the surface of the material is similar both sides..

Definitely putting them on the right way round. Looking at them again I think the hook is supposed to be out of sight when fitted so should be fitted first. Just need to have a play and find which particular lace they need attached to so they are snug.

EDIT.  Changed my mind about having the hook out of sight as that makes the gaiter become slack. Thinking now the hook is the first bit to be fitted.  Bit of a faff but other than that happy with them.

« Last Edit: 14:32:32, 04/01/21 by Ray-S »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:28:23, 04/01/21 »
It's the way they work. Fooled me first time I bought Rab gaiters, why they work that way I have no idea and it means when I replace them it won't be with another pair from Rab unless the design by then has changed.
Where there's a will ...

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:33:45, 04/01/21 »
Mine have the lace hook turning outwards which makes it very difficult to hook the laces as you have to stretch it forwards and turn through 180 degrees. Must be doing something wrong unless you do that bit before tying your laces.

What makes you think you need to  stretch it forwards and turn through 180 degrees?

Just stretch it forward and hook it under the bottom lace then tighten the gaiter down onto the boot.

Not all gaiters hook over the lace some do hook under.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:34:43, 04/01/21 »
The hook is the second-to-last thing I do.

Put the strap under my instep, fold the gaiter around my leg, do the zip up (the zip is at the front of mine), press down the velcro along the zip overlap, there's also a press stud at the botton of that bit, then put the hook over the 2nd lace, then tighten the  elastic at the top, above the calves.

It's a little bit of a faff, but most times that I need to put them on the conditions mean they stay on all day.

Ray-S

« Reply #8 on: 14:40:55, 04/01/21 »
Like I said at the start just me being stupid. I was finding the awkward to pass the hook under the lace when the boot was done up tight and it seemed like it would be easy if the hook was the other way round.  Just need a bit of practise and it will be ok.
Thanks for the replies.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:17:06, 04/01/21 »
I forgot the press studs, one of mine works easily the other doesn't, I have to apply real pressure for that one to snap into place.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:08:24, 04/01/21 »
After I have strapped , zipped then clipped the press studs on and finally hooked the laces..I feel like sitting down..a bit longer . I also make the mistake of trying to get my

trousers to stay over the boots while I`m wrapping my gaiters on . Nigh on impossible for me . :crazy2:

Its love , hate with me and gaiters...I love `em when I finally get out there walking and it is sodden wet ground and grass though...
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Ray-S

« Reply #11 on: 21:41:06, 04/01/21 »
Looks like it is going to be some time before I can try them out now. Cheers covid. Stay safe everyone.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:35:17, 05/01/21 »

Definitely putting them on the right way round. Looking at them again I think the hook is supposed to be out of sight when fitted so should be fitted first. Just need to have a play and find which particular lace they need attached to so they are snug.

EDIT.  Changed my mind about having the hook out of sight as that makes the gaiter become slack. Thinking now the hook is the first bit to be fitted.  Bit of a faff but other than that happy with them.

Have a set of Rab gaiters and it threw me at first but on reflection it's a decent idea.  It makes it far easier to look down and see whether it's fallen off your laces or not when you can clearly see them sitting in the hook or not.  When putting them on, slide the hook on first then fit the part over the calf second.  In order: hook, bottom velcro bit, upper velcro bit, press-stud, smooth the velcro, pull it up, tighten the calf elastic carefully.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy