Author Topic: Cow Green Reservoir-Car Park  (Read 1895 times)

strawy

Cow Green Reservoir-Car Park
« on: 10:15:22, 29/06/20 »
Any-one know if this car park is open,i fancy a walk in that area.
Have found a few of my usual parking spots are still shut/taped up.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Re: Cow Green Reservoir-Car Park
« Reply #1 on: 15:59:22, 29/06/20 »
Just did you a favour, rang Northumbrian Water Waterside Parks....

They are open without any restrictions.

Good News... although I've just seen your post, so you might already be there!

strawy

« Reply #2 on: 16:50:22, 29/06/20 »
Just did you a favour, rang Northumbrian Water Waterside Parks....

They are open without any restrictions.

Good News... although I've just seen your post, so you might already be there!
Thanks very much  O0 ,no not been yet,maybe 2morrow,weather permitting.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:54:16, 29/06/20 »
It will be a beautiful day! ;)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:21:00, 30/06/20 »
Did you get out to Cow Green?

Just wondering where you walked around there?

I had a lovely afternoon helping an elderly friend tend her roses, such good company.

Also helped her neighbour clear his drain as he was having a struggle to get down, just a young 99!

Had a good laugh with them!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:35:46, 30/06/20 »
Did you get out to Cow Green?

Just wondering where you walked around there?

There are a few fun walks from Cow Green but the classic route is probably to High Cup Nick and back via the dam and along above Maize Beck.  Cauldron Snout below the dam is worth a visit too.
The pub at the foot of the approach road - The Langdon Beck Hotel, if memory serves - deserves a visit too.  They keep a nice pint and serve good wholesome food
Solvitur Ambulando

strawy

« Reply #6 on: 22:18:46, 30/06/20 »
Yes i did get there today,weather was very poor,chilly,wind & showers,but i,d made my mind up i was going regardless.
Enjoyed the walk,i did what ninthace described,High Cup Nick and back.
Took some photos on my phone,might stick em on a TR if they are any good.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:54:01, 30/06/20 »
The pub at the foot of the approach road - The Langdon Beck Hotel, if memory serves - deserves a visit too.  They keep a nice pint and serve good wholesome food
Indeed. We stayed there when doing the Pennine Way. Typical country hotel, a bit tired, but clean and like you say good food and beer (so the other half said  O0 )

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:21:09, 30/06/20 »
I can always recall in my early years of walking... five years ago January 2015.... Came up to Caldron Snout after walking up the Pennine Way along riverside from Langdon Beck, not my favourite walk by any means! It was getting dark and out of nowhere a guy appeared, after a short chat he said 'have you heard about High Cut Nick', I had not.... 'you must walk from here to it, I won't say much but this is a fantastic destination walking from here'.

On checking route and distance it was way longer than I'd walked before so had to get in a bit of practice!

Can see from my Mapometer records I went on 9th September 2015 after putting in a few miles, although 7 miles was the most I had been able to achieve. Again I recall the day, weather forecast was good, but when I arrived you could not see anything for the fog and it was freezing! Was well prepared as once had issues up here in May with snow cutting off half our party, and one car was stuck up here for five days! T-shirt, sweat shirt, jumper, coat, scarf, hat and gloves required, before setting off. Had to walk to the very low water mark of the reservoir to then turn left and follow round until I found the dam. As I stated to move up hill I startled three black grouse sitting on the gate as I opened it, that's how bad it was! Eventually it started to clear but was still icy cold. First people I met was a group of about seven students coming towards me in t-shirts and shorts, you lot are in for a shock in a minute! Walked along recently 'rocked' grouse shooting road was terrible, once off it and back down towards river it was fine. The guy was right about the view, spent a while there taking it all in and enjoying the warm sunshine. I was doing OK on journey back until just before the dam when the legs basically stopped moving! It took an absolute age to get to the car park and collapse into the car!! Memorable day as you can tell!

Hope your walk was as memorable strawy.

Have walked to Source of the South Tyne from Garrigill, where you can see River Tees going along towards Cross Fell. Have you ever looked at going along there from Cow Green?

Sorry ninthace, as someone who enjoyed his beer I somehow lost the ability to cope with any alcohol, .... devastating news at the time but saved me a fortune since!... so I'm afraid pubs have lost my interest.

strawy

« Reply #9 on: 20:27:27, 01/07/20 »
Have walked to Source of the South Tyne from Garrigill, where you can see River Tees going along towards Cross Fell. Have you ever looked at going along there from Cow Green?
Not from Cow Green,there is a circular from that village that takes in Tees & Tyne sources, i fancy that,its around 20 miles,my ageing legs will probably make it,but i,m not sure if a shoulder injury will take a backpack that far,i,m fine 8-12 miles but after that it nags.
Wouldnt even attempt that walk without drinks/waterproofs etc & a hot/sunny day is definitely a no go..

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:24:45, 01/07/20 »
Not from Cow Green,there is a circular from that village that takes in Tees & Tyne sources, i fancy that,its around 20 miles,my ageing legs will probably make it,but i,m not sure if a shoulder injury will take a backpack that far,i,m fine 8-12 miles but after that it nags.
Wouldnt even attempt that walk without drinks/waterproofs etc & a hot/sunny day is definitely a no go..
I have walked the route from Garrigill to the S Tyne source, on up on to Great Dun to pick up the Pennine Way across Little Dun and Cross Fell back to Garrigill.  At just shy of 30km, it is a pleasant day out - I have lodged the trace on the OS mapping app
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914661/120416-Cross-Fell-Classic
Solvitur Ambulando

strawy

« Reply #11 on: 01:26:50, 02/07/20 »
Thanks ninthace,exactly the route i plotted,in reverse though & a few geocaches to find along the way..
Like i said,legs are willing,shoulder will give me grief & i,m not going with just a pie & a can of pop.
Its very high on my list of walks to do,it may not seem too difficult to some,but to me it is a real challenge.
Blimey,i only asked if a car park was open  :D
Thanks  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 07:25:44, 02/07/20 »
I've climbed Cross Fell from Garrigill in the past, an easy route, if I recall, but I never thought to continue SE along the ridge - a mistake on my part. Still a memorable walk, though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy