Author Topic: Is it me... Makes m e seethe  (Read 7451 times)

Steveandsam

Is it me... Makes m e seethe
« on: 18:41:05, 07/02/21 »
So, a mountain rescue volunteer is facing life threatening injuries because of 2 idiotic campers, who deliberately chose to ignore lockdown restrictions... I'm lost for words quite honestly!!

Peak

Re: Is it me... Makes m e seethe
« Reply #1 on: 18:58:48, 07/02/21 »
I've not seen the story but sadly I'm not at all surprised, gross stupidity. I hope they make a large donation to MR

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:47, 07/02/21 »
The article is on Grough News. It does not say whether the eild camper has been fined.
It's all uphill from here.

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:46:39, 08/02/21 »
The article is on Grough News. It does not say whether the wild camper has been fined.
BBC (radio)News said they both had
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:15:11, 08/02/21 »
What were they thinking? One from Leicester, one from Liverpool, travelling to the Lakes, and forcing the Mountain Rescue Team to come into close contact with them and other members of the team. And risk their lives - hope that the injured rescuer makes a good recovery. EDIT - I've just read that the rescuer suffered "life changing injuries".  :(

£200 fine does not seem enough. I would like to think that the Lockdown breaching campers will have the decency to offer their sincere apologies, and make a substantial donation - but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit - I also hope that the rescued camper recovers from his chest pains.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:17:00, 08/02/21 »
A further point - I do wonder how the press would have covered this incident had it not occurred during the pandemic.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #8 on: 10:04:57, 08/02/21 »
One of the local ITV News Reporters - Fiona Marley Patterson posted this on her FB page:

"I've now spoken to the camper with chest pains. He says he's had 3 heart attacks in 3.5 years & thought it was happening again. Scared, alone in a tent with the same pain... he says he paused before dialling 999 knowing it meant calling someone out in lockdown but he knows calling for help was the right thing to do. He says he knows he shouldn't have been there but he lives alone and thought a walk in the countryside with one friend would help his depression. He says what happened will haunt him forever, the guilt he feels. He says he deserved the fine & hopes one day to be able to shake the injured rescuer's hand & thank the team: "I'd probably cry with guilt but I'd love to shake his hand and tell him I'll never forget him." He wants to donate to  
Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team   and raise funds in the future because "they're all heroes".  

I have absolutely no sympathy for this guy.   Leaving aside the argument about whether he was right or wrong to have driven to the Lakes to camp.   There's no way that someone with a history of heart attacks should have been camping in the freezing cold conditions we've been experiencing here this weekend.

All of my sympathy and thoughts are with the Mountain Rescue Team member and his family.

Peak

« Reply #9 on: 10:06:06, 08/02/21 »
Just a £200 fine, they should be charged with endangering lives as well, they knew the risk but chose to ignore it, no sympathy from me.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:41:26, 08/02/21 »
Totally gutted for the volunteer...we all know it’s a desperately unfair world at times...certainly a poor reward for selfless bravery.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:53:12, 08/02/21 »
One of the local ITV News Reporters - Fiona Marley Patterson posted this on her FB page:

I have absolutely no sympathy for this guy.   Leaving aside the argument about whether he was right or wrong to have driven to the Lakes to camp.   There's no way that someone with a history of heart attacks should have been camping in the freezing cold conditions we've been experiencing here this weekend.

All of my sympathy and thoughts are with the Mountain Rescue Team member and his family.

I'll second all of that O0

emdaw

« Reply #12 on: 12:40:43, 08/02/21 »

I'll second all of that O0

Totally agree with that, sheer irresponsible idiots with no thought for others. My thoughts and best wishes are with the Patterdale Mountain Rescue VOLUNTEER!!! and his family.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:04:46, 08/02/21 »
Covid to one side for a moment. A sad story to read at any time.

No one sets out on a walk, if they think they are going to get in serious difficulty, though some show very poor judgement of risk.  No one makes a volunteer climb a mountain to rescue someone else either.  The MRT do generally show far better judgement of risk though, but no one gets it right all the time.

Covid back in the picture. The two walkers were in breach of current law and fined for that.

My thoughts are with both i'll parties.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:04:42, 08/02/21 »
Though I agree in principle with your comments too, BuzyG, I do think that to set out to camp in the current cold weather when you've had three heart attacks is showing a bit more than poor judgement.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy