Author Topic: Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?  (Read 4328 times)

addyeddy

Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?
« on: 18:00:06, 05/01/21 »
That's the question! If so, have you been charged VAT, import duty or handling costs?

I was going to buy a new pair of boots that are £238, but if hammered for costs, they'd be nearer £300!!

And can't find a UK stockist for them. (Aku Tengu GTX).

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Too little, too late, too bad......

nesty

Re: Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?
« Reply #3 on: 00:52:38, 09/01/21 »
I thought things were 'as you were', like we not in the EU as such, but when it comes to buying goods in sense we are. (In order to get the trade deal, we had to sacrifice British things, such as fishing waters etc)
I purchased a jacket from a retailer based in Poland, in the week, it was just the same, as buying in the UK.

From Trek Inn (based in Spain), should be exactly the same as buying in UK, though you might pay slightly more postage.

« Last Edit: 01:02:45, 09/01/21 by nesty »

Sevenup

addyeddy

« Reply #5 on: 07:12:24, 09/01/21 »
Not the same boots sadly.

Sevenup

« Reply #6 on: 07:23:31, 09/01/21 »
No luck. I though the superalp might have been a similar spec.
As far as import duties are concerned it’s probably worth checking with the supplier. I know that a number of retailers have stopped sending to the U.K. because they now need to jump through hoops that include collecting vat on behalf of the U.K. Registration to do that is around €1300. As I understand it, goods will need to be declared on a customs form and your carrier will collect any taxes on behalf of the government charging a fee to do so if the supplier isn’t registered. A Dutch Bike Shop brought this to my attention when it announced that it wouldn’t be a tax collector for the U.K. and was no longer sending stuff here
« Last Edit: 07:30:15, 09/01/21 by Sevenup »

addyeddy

« Reply #7 on: 07:25:41, 09/01/21 »
I've got the Superalps, they're really fantastic boots, hence my desire to go for another pair of Aku's.

I might just have to bite the bullet and order from Spain and see how I go.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #8 on: 08:42:16, 09/01/21 »
I've got a new tent coming from the Ukraine. Not EU but I think there is some sort of Schengen style agreement in place with the EU.
Anyway, I'm not sure about import/VAT etc. but what I do know is that my tent moved from the manufacturer to Kiev customs in a couple of days and was then released to the UK.
That was on 30.12.20 and there have been no updates since. Apparently there are really large backlogs at our freight customs terminals.
It's not like they have had four years to prepare for this.

Sevenup

« Reply #9 on: 10:48:16, 09/01/21 »
This is a useful article that explains the complexity arising from the new arrangements. https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0108/1188595-tony-connelly-brexit/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:17:38, 09/01/21 »
All I know is that a friend send a package from the EU to me beginning of December and I still haven't received it. It probably got stuck in pandemic limbo first and now Brexit on top of that... it's probably lost forever now Embarrassed
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:12:13, 09/01/21 »
This is a useful article that explains the complexity arising from the new arrangements. https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0108/1188595-tony-connelly-brexit/

What a nightmare.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

addyeddy

« Reply #12 on: 18:16:25, 09/01/21 »
It is indeed a nightmare! And this is apparently a good deal??

nesty

« Reply #13 on: 00:27:53, 10/01/21 »
The EU will be crumbling in future years ahead, many members want out, an article on how a poster company in Ireland is demonstrating a bad brexit deal, is that all they got?
There was bound to be trade offs, though in the long term the UK is better of out. I have received a few parcels from the EU, since turn of the new year all no issues, these companies really wanting my custom, as 1 almost price matched my UK quoted price, in order to get my custom, which I happily placed an order.
I am aware political threads not tolerated, but IMHO would say order as usual, reputable companies are very much prepared & can deal with the UK. 

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:36:05, 11/01/21 »
This might be worth a read https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/outdoor-brands-brexit-chaos/

A lot of EU companies have simply pulled up the drawbridge and stopped accepting any orders from UK customers. Excuses where any are provided range from Brexit related VAT and Customs issues, Covid-19 issues and supposed border closures.

You can expect stocks of EU supplied products to vanish from most UK outdoor retailers shelves when existing stocks are sold and no doubt prices will rise sharply as stock levels fall.

I have just cancelled my Premium Membership of Keller Sports https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/  (a German based company) as they have stopped accepting any orders from UK customers making it impossible for me to benefit from the annual fee I paid in advance to become a Premium member which gets you an additional 10% off and free delivery and I have requested a refund of this fee.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy