Author Topic: In Praise of Shorter Walks.  (Read 2846 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: In Praise of Shorter Walks.
« Reply #15 on: 11:43:35, 09/10/20 »
To enjoy any walk first you must be able to get to the start and secondly design a route to suit the parameters of the walk you wish to do. Shortwalker reconned 4+ miles as his short walk, this is a little energetic for the official  idea of the walk the public want.

I enjoy designing walks, I take pleasure in seeing the delight on my walk partners face and in her actions when we are somewhere that has hit the right spots. To achieve these ends it is necessary to employ certain strategies.

Strategies that should be talked about and if they were, perhaps messages might get through to townhall. In praise of shortwalks, I wonder if how many ask themselves how much Quality Way is it possible to pack into a short distance. In the early days of Covid it was interesting to see how the rank and file of non walkers, forced to take exercise, took to the Edgelands of the town and ignoring the privacy signs. This revealed extensive paths of high quality of way, far superior to the Rights of way that accessed them, they now lose their definition as as the footfall has lessened. No damage to crops, though the routes followed a natural lie of the land, the network created, though extensive, had minimal encroachment on the land. The only failing in this random development was one step further, safe main road crossings, these could have been seen with a little map study.

My afterthought about running was probably triggered by seeing the regular tracks of a mother and son, who used the margin of one particular field as a running track on a regular training course.

My supposed agenda, perhaps due to genetic instinct, I come from a long line of tenant farmers, a broad streak of distrust for the institutions of landownership, would be to encourage the wider discussions of the limitations of our access agenda so that those bodies like the Great Outdoors Liaison Groups, reflect the true wants and needs of the all who walk in our countryside. Perhaps some younger than I will pick up the baton aided by  my irreverent thoughts. >:D

Finally, in many areas, a decent circular short walk is easier to find than a decent long walk as the enclosed area is much less.  In our case, it has led us into exploring many areas we would not have considered before and finding lots of hidden gems as a result.

And perhaps the specifics of the gems referred to by the OP might start to appear on the questionnaires local gov.com send out to formulate their policies.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:11:45, 09/10/20 »
As I said earlier you do like to go on and on.

This may come as shock to you but to start any walk, you have to be at the start.

What the heck are the parameters of a walk that I must follow, to enjoy it?

What has the official idea of what the public want, got to do with how far I walk?

I could go on (and on) like you have but to be honest after the first paragraph I couldn't really be bothered.

Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:24:02, 09/10/20 »
As I said earlier you do like to go on and on.

This may come as shock to you but to start any walk, you have to be at the start.

What the heck are the parameters of a walk that I must follow, to enjoy it?

What has the official idea of what the public want, got to do with how far I walk?

I could go on (and on) like you have but to be honest after the first paragraph I couldn't really be bothered.

How rude.

BWW has been a member here many years and, while it is true he has one main agenda, his interest lies in the opening of the countryside for access for us all, which is to be applauded.  He also makes some very valid points regarding the availability of the access network via public rather than private transport.  Perhaps if you read BWW's posts you might understand a little better.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:31:21, 09/10/20 »

How rude.

BWW has been a member here many years and, while it is true he has one main agenda, his interest lies in the opening of the countryside for access for us all, which is to be applauded.  He also makes some very valid points regarding the availability of the access network via public rather than private transport.  Perhaps if you read BWW's posts you might understand a little better.

Not meant to be rude, but if you want to engage with people you to have to bring them along with you.

Van Morrison

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:31:31, 09/10/20 »
For me there are every day walks, which are 3-5 miles and are mostly about seeing what is going on, yesterday it was the last brave field gentian, the first barnacle geese of the winter and a short eared owl flying up from nearly under my feet, and then there are long day walks and multi day walks which are more about seeing new places and getting out into remote areas.  They are both enjoyable for their own sakes. The keeping fit aspect is more of an added advantage than a reason for doing it, and I admit to being a bit of a potterer.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:43:09, 09/10/20 »
Not meant to be rude, but if you want to engage with people you to have to bring them along with you.
Pot kettle black perhaps?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:14:20, 09/10/20 »

Ditto, if you want to take part in the debate you need to invest time in understanding other people's viewpoints and, by your own admission, you couldn't be bothered to read BWW's entry beyond para 1.   But, on the question of rudeness, if you re-read your post does it not come across as rude to you?

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:40:31, 09/10/20 »

Ditto, if you want to take part in the debate you need to invest time in understanding other people's viewpoints and, by your own admission, you couldn't be bothered to read BWW's entry beyond para 1.  But, on the question of rudeness, if you re-read your post does it not come across as rude to you?

I will turn your reply round and ask did you not find barewireswalker post a bit longwinded?

Having an agenda is one thing, going on about it in every post just gets a bit tedious.

So yes maybe my post was a bit harsh, but it was posted in the hope that Barewirewalker would perhaps think a bit more about the stuff he posts.

Van Morrison

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:58:35, 09/10/20 »

BWW's posts are generally thought provoking.  I don't read every one, but those I do I enjoy.  Some are long, but they are often worth investing a little time in.

With regard to BWW thinking "about the stuff he posts" - I think he does, a lot ;) .

I suggest that, if you don't like BWW's posts, you don't read them, rather than being unpleasant on the forum.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:28:21, 09/10/20 »
FWIW I sometimes struggle with some of BWW's posts too.  When I can understand them, I try to contribute because I also have an interest in the origins of footpaths and lost ways but I often I fail to comprehend him sufficiently.  Hope this is not rude - not meant to be.

Now back to shorter walks.  Today we set off on a short walk from the house.  At one point we crossed the line of another walk and it being a nice day, we picked up the line of the second walk.  This process repeated itself a few times with other walks we had previously done.  Then  I noticed we had just past the layby we had originally parked at the first time we had done the walk we were now on, and it had not been a short drive either.  Cue a quick unwind of the the other halves of the routes, making an extended but very pleasant walk back home - or it would have been had the rain not arrived an hour early.

The point - having a network of short walks can generate other walks by pure serendipity.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:20:23, 09/10/20 »
This world is full of so many different people (understatement), viewpoints & cultures . Gee wouldn`t it be dull if everyone adhered to the norm`..by the way remind me..what is the norm .?
PDSTSP , I agree with your viewpoint .!
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:56:45, 09/10/20 »
To stay on topic and lighten the atmosphere: today's short walk, lots of wax caps, assorted colours, and earth tongue fungus. Huge and hungry fox moth caterpillars. Samphire on the shore a lovely autumn red.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:54:38, 10/10/20 »
`.........by the way remind me..what is the norm .?

'All folks is queer save thee and me. And even thee's a little queer'

Old Devon saying (hence old definition of the q word)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:53:29, 10/10/20 »
I prefer long walks for the simple reason that I so much love being out walking.  But in the end, what matters to me is not the distance or duration but whether I enjoyed the walk. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:23:57, 10/10/20 »
I prefer long walks, but recently have only been able to manage shorter walks. Fortunately, I can get to woods, field, river banks and quiet country roads from my doorstep. These short walks are enjoyable and I have seen deer, herons, goosanders, lapwings, bullfinches and an osprey within 2 - 3 miles of home.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy