Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276306 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1500 on: 22:41:31, 19/02/21 »
I went over Ronas Hill to Lang Clodie Wick.
11.6 Miles with 2560 feet of up bits.
To see the Waterfalls from the snow melt. The 4 falls range between 190 to 230 feet in height and 2 of them sometimes disappear with a dry spell.
When I saw this, it reminded me of your photo... have you ever seen a firefall up there watershed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/56086917

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1501 on: 18:40:26, 18/03/21 »
I went over Ronas Hill to Lang Clodie Wick.
11.6 Miles with 2560 feet of up bits.
To see the Waterfalls from the snow melt. The 4 falls range between 190 to 230 feet in height and 2 of them sometimes disappear with a dry spell....

Missed this - wonderful photos, Watershed. Almost making me pine for Shetland.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1502 on: 18:47:29, 18/03/21 »
Been out for my longest walk for some considerable time today, wanting to get myself 'hill fit' in anticipation of Lockdown ending, and also try out my new (cheap) 'FitTrek' walking poles (happy with them). 14 miles mostly along minor roads in the south eastern corner of the Lake District, including the tranquil Winster Valley, a place that always seems so peaceful - good for the soul. Feeling a bit stiff now, mind!

PS - Tess still had the energy to pull me up the hill in Grange over Sands - she is indefatigable.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1503 on: 09:58:43, 24/03/21 »
Beautiful day here in Grange, so I'm off up Hampsfell with the dog for a couple of hours. Might even take a picnic, and laze on the limestone pavement for a while.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1504 on: 13:03:43, 24/03/21 »
It's a lovely day here in Whitstable too.  8)

I began this morning with two workouts on the treadmill and had the conservatory door open for the first time this year while I did them.

I started with a section of a trail run in Utah with Sally McRae (2.6 miles) then continued my ascent of Kilimanjaro across the Western Breach with Jake Norton (1,471 ft ascent in 44 mins).

Then I headed out to do a brisk walk from the door - country lanes to Wraik Hill and back, taking in Bogshole Lane, Pie Alley Lane, Fox's Cross Road and Wraik Hill: 6.5 miles in 1hr 28min (ave. 4.4 mph).

In all, 10.3 miles and 1,971ft - a typical lockdown morning preparing for the adventures soon to come... and back in time for coffee and a post before lunch watching Tenable with my wife!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1505 on: 18:28:46, 24/03/21 »
Car was due the annual service in Barnstaple today so I dropped it off at 0900 and went for a sunny 4hr walk along the SWCP by the Taw estuary.  Surprised by how many people were about. I did not see many birds of note but I did spot an Egret colony that I did not know was there.
Solvitur Ambulando

Daz7

« Reply #1506 on: 18:34:15, 24/03/21 »
Kinder scout on Friday morning hoping to get there for sunsrise

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1507 on: 19:20:12, 24/03/21 »
Finish early or take waterproofs
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1508 on: 19:21:13, 24/03/21 »

Nice. Welcome to the forum, Daz.  :)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1509 on: 09:29:04, 25/03/21 »
A couple of local walks this week in the same area. A circumnavigation of Loch Vaa. Although no paths are shown on the maps there is a well worn path to use for this walk.
Then a walk along the Spey between the bridge over the river at Boat of Garten and out to the farm at Kinchurdy and a return on the Speyside Way section to regain our vehicle. The only folks met with all day were those trying to get the fish in the river to engage with their lures. The path followed was much closer to the river than is shown on the map so I guess that this path has been worn into the land by the anglers.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1510 on: 19:35:06, 26/03/21 »
Officially bagged every field edge in the Parish with this afternoon's walk.

I won't be aiming to do a second round though!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1511 on: 16:23:06, 09/04/21 »
A walk up some (fairly) local hills today. Can you guess where?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1512 on: 16:50:04, 09/04/21 »
Could be miles out but it looks a bit like the small tarn between Calf Crag and Steel Fell looking over at the Helvellyn range?

Dread

« Reply #1513 on: 18:19:20, 09/04/21 »
Took my 12 year old daughter walking in the Peaks. We walked from Doctor's Gate Culvert down to Ladybower via Alport Castles. It was a tough old walk with a lot of slogging through peat groughs to get to Alport Valley. Then the path along the valley is very narrow and cut into a steep hillside, before going up to the Castles in a crisp, cold northerly wind. Bleak, beautiful and very secluded, not a soul around. I thought that I was a little careless choosing such a difficult walk but she was a trooper. We were down to 1 mph at several sections but she carried on without a complaint. After Alport Castles I thought that she'd had enough being up on the hills so we cut down to the river which turned out to be a great idea as the field were full of sheep and new born lambs. We had a lovely time crossing and recrossing the river making our way to Snake Road to get the bus. 10 miles took us nearly 8 hours but she wants to do it again.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1514 on: 19:39:36, 09/04/21 »
Could be miles out but it looks a bit like the small tarn between Calf Crag and Steel Fell looking over at the Helvellyn range?

O0 O0 O0

A great day to be out on the fells - up Helm Crag, along the ridge to Calf Crag, then back to Grasmere over Steel Fell.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy