Author Topic: Are landowners taking advantage of CV to block paths ?  (Read 3620 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Are landowners taking advantage of CV to block paths ?
« Reply #15 on: 13:22:28, 25/04/20 »
I'm an off-road jogger, is that better or worse? I haven't noticed anything at all, all the paths and kissing gates on my running routes are clear, in two weeks of running I've only seen one person. Except in the car parks of course. People seem to be behaving almost as before, they drive and park, get out, kick a tyre or two, may wander up to 100yds and then get back in to recover from their exertion, some even need a cigarette or to vape too recover!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:13:47, 25/04/20 »
Do you have a supply of gloves to deal with gates or do you just clean your hands at the end?  As a non-jogger I have the benefit of poles that can deal with most gates that I come across apart from the odd spring bolt without a latch.  I have a pair of silk liners for those.  I can take them on and off without touching the outside.  If I have to wear them for a while, they are much more comfortable than disposables or marigolds and they go in the washing machine when I get home.
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #17 on: 15:55:00, 25/04/20 »
Do you have a supply of gloves to deal with gates or do you just clean your hands at the end?  As a non-jogger I have the benefit of poles that can deal with most gates that I come across apart from the odd spring bolt without a latch.  I have a pair of silk liners for those.  I can take them on and off without touching the outside.  If I have to wear them for a while, they are much more comfortable than disposables or marigolds and they go in the washing machine when I get home.
I gather a bit of grass or some leaves in my hand, open and close the gate and then discard it.
Just hope a dog hasn’t been having a leak on it before I pick whatever I use up.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:03:02, 25/04/20 »
As I posted a while back my local council placed notices on one of local paths asking people not to use it unless "there was no alternative". (It was an odd wording I felt...there is always an alternative...but on other hand its not an outright ban.)

I know the area well...with best will in world I couldn't see any reason to close off that particular path, and leave all the other local paths open. So I contacted local councillor to ask who I could discuss issue with. Over a week ago..no reply. I guess whoever ordered the notice has never walked the area.

A mate rang about half a hour ago to say he thought council had placed more forceful notices, closing that path and several others. But he's not read the notices...there were a few disgruntled walkers got there before him...they formed an orderly queue to read them...and turned back one by one...so he left well alone.

I'll get up early tomorrow and see what notices say. Bit strange..sadly if local paths are closed off...will have to have a brood whether to just pavement bash for next few weeks, or whether to get in car and drive for 20 mins to areas that I'm pretty sure will still be open.
« Last Edit: 17:08:25, 25/04/20 by pauldawes »

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:34:59, 25/04/20 »
My mate now done more research...just a temporary closure to allow some repair work to get done.

(Mind you not an unknown phenomenon for temporary closure to last much longer than first claimed, while very little repair gets done...)

Ronin83

« Reply #20 on: 23:31:33, 25/04/20 »
I don't get the gates thing. Some people on Facebook groups are getting really feisty about it. The way I see it is you should always be washing your hands after touching kissing gates anyway, if you don't then you're the problem. Or atleast that's your choice

Toxicbunny

« Reply #21 on: 13:42:42, 26/04/20 »
I take hand sanitiser on my walks . I use it every time I've touched a stile or gate.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:51:40, 26/04/20 »
I take hand sanitiser on my walks . I use it every time I've touched a stile or gate.
In theory it should be used before and after touching something. Before to stop you contaminating it and after to destroy anything you have picked up. In reality if you clean before the first touch of the day and after each touch then that will save on sanitiser provided you touch nothing in between (including you face). Personally I prefer a physical barrier though.
Solvitur Ambulando

Oldtramp

« Reply #23 on: 16:38:07, 26/04/20 »
Re. gates etc.  No precautions except trying to use wrist /knuckles rather than fingertips.  As a fatalist I assume I'll catch this in due course, as most of us will.  Then I'll win or lose.  Even at 60 my odds are pretty good, i reckon.   The idea of hiding away is delusional.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: 18:46:15, 26/04/20 »
The idea of hiding away is delusional.

That is my point too.

With reference to paths being closed I see that the Welsh Assembly have issued the instruction to close paths and honeypot sites. This has been interpreted freely by various local authorities rather too liberally in my view. The near hysteria reported in the press from locals and the consideration now of evicting 2nd home owners will be met by an easy response from myself. Having the good fortune to live in Yorkshire I shall content myself never to visit Wales again. If they don't need my business now they won't need it in the future. For the avoidance of doubt I had no intention of travelling to Wales during these restrictions.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:34:45, 26/04/20 »
I disagree.  It depends on your own health, the odds of it doing you serious harm and the effect on or risk to those who live with you and the effect on your wider family.  As time progresses, the risk of infection decreases while our understanding of the disease and the possibility of an effective treatment or prevention increases.

If you live alone, will not need nursing or in the worst case, will be unmourned, and will put no-one else at risk if you get it - then have it.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:38:42, 26/04/20 »

I suspect that you might feel differently if you were in an 'at risk' group. Or if your wife was, for example.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:40:02, 26/04/20 »
Joggers are one level up from walkers and one level down from runners
It's all uphill from here.

Oldtramp

« Reply #28 on: 19:41:05, 26/04/20 »
Hmmm Apache.  A look at the map suggests that there's more Covid in N and W Wales than in rural Yorkshire....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274.co.uk.

I think a lot of the venom directed at second-home owners arises from origins unrelated to Covid and I have some sympathy with locals who've been priced out.  Nonetheless anywhere that creates a reputation as unwelcoming is going to struggle even more than average as we come out of this.  My guess is that there'll be real tensions between the tourist business side and the deep locals/hiding retirees on the other in lots of walking areas There was a bit of this after the F&M in 2001, but this'll be much worse.

As for me I'd walked the mainland coast of Wales thru' 2017-9, but had just started Anglesey when this farrago started.  Whist is bit of a [censored]**r.
« Last Edit: 20:02:19, 26/04/20 by Oldtramp »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:45:37, 26/04/20 »
Joggers are one level up from walkers and one level down from runners
Wrong way up!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy