Author Topic: Looking for Walks in Derbyshire White Peak Area  (Read 6556 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
I'm looking for suggestions for walks in Derbyshire in the White Peak. Some background on what we've done so far to give you an idea.

Dovedale. 3 circular walks so far.
One through the dale returning to the car park over the west side and Bunsters hill.
One going east by the rifle range and returning through the dale.
One going east as above but then going over the west side returning through Hall Dale.

Monsal Dale. Circular route going through Monsal Dale, Upper Dale, Millers Dale, across the top returing through High Dale and Taddington Dale.

Lathkill Dale. Walk from Over Haddon to Alport village then on to the Limestone Way to Monyash the back through Ricklow Quarry.

The walks tend to be in the 8-10 miles range, a few ascents but not scrambling (Cale Dale is a good example I suppose). We don't mind ascents ofcourse but prefer a 80/20 flat(ish) to ascents mix if you like.

We'll be venturing up to Castleton and Edale a bit later in the year when the weather is a bit more stable and we have more experience under our belts. Then a week in Yorkshire.

The walks need to be circular, preferably without having the go back the way you came. I'd say easy to moderate in difficulty (well sometimes you just want an easy one).
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Deerplay

Re: Looking for Walks in Derbyshire White Peak Area
« Reply #1 on: 22:35:51, 11/03/07 »
If you look back at the old posts in "general discussion" there are a few suggestions in subjects such as where to walk this weekend and good books to buy. HTH
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:01:42, 13/04/07 »
Like deerplay said If you look back at the old posts in "general discussion" there are a few suggestions.  If your going to Edale a bit later in the year.  A good route is Kinder Plateau and round back down to Jacob's Ladder which is a circular route and good going there are book's out there as well one which is good called 50 walks in derbyshire for only £8:00 pounds if you have a book man in your work place you can get this for £5:00.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

nedsram

« Reply #3 on: 22:41:04, 15/11/07 »
Try a walk from Ashford in the Water up to Sheldon. As well as an excellent pub in Sheldon (the [censored] and Pullet) you can also visit the nearby Magpie Mine.

IAIN BARKER

« Reply #4 on: 17:36:27, 21/10/08 »
Have a look at john merrills web site, If you do a google on john merrill foundation you should get it. Until you are happy to devise your own walks this will give you enough local guides to keep you going for ages.

stevieboy378

« Reply #5 on: 21:40:28, 21/10/08 »
Park the car at Sparklow (SK1277 6596) and head north on the High Peak Trail to its termination. Turn left, and make your way to High Wheeldon, where a short sharp climb leads to a great viewpoint over the upper Dove valley. Head into Earl Sterndale for refreshments at the Quiet Woman pub  :D, then spend the rest of the day exhausting yourself by taking in the tops of Chrome hill and/or Parkhouse Hill. Follow the river Dove southeast to Hartington, then walk along the road to Hartington Station, and make your way back to your starting point along the trail, via Parsley Hay.
There are plenty of opportunities to cut your walk short between Parkhouse Hill and Hartington if you so wish . . ..  .
The walk can be altered to anything between 8 and 25 miles . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

stevieboy378

« Reply #6 on: 22:50:28, 21/10/08 »
Another suggestion starts at Conksbury Bridge, then takes in Alport, Stanton In Peak, Stanton Moor, Birchover (including its 2 excellent pubs  :D), Robin Hoods Stride, Youlgreave, and the lower reaches of the river Lathkill, in that order. I often incorporate this section into a longer walk in the area, as it has a nice mix of terrains. Some folks may not like the couple of road sections, but in this area they're pretty much unavoidable . . . .

If you want to add on a few very picturesque miles you could always start at the layby in Monyash or the car park in Over Haddon, and include Lathkilldale . . .  .

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

Steelystan

« Reply #7 on: 00:10:08, 24/10/08 »
Another suggestion starts at Conksbury Bridge, then takes in Alport, Stanton In Peak, Stanton Moor, Birchover (including its 2 excellent pubs  :D), Robin Hoods Stride, Youlgreave, and the lower reaches of the river Lathkill, in that order. I often incorporate this section into a longer walk in the area, as it has a nice mix of terrains. Some folks may not like the couple of road sections, but in this area they're pretty much unavoidable . . . .

If you want to add on a few very picturesque miles you could always start at the layby in Monyash or the car park in Over Haddon, and include Lathkilldale . .

I've done this one in the pouring wet stuff - it was foul, but the route was great.  I'll do again one day when its dry.  Stanton Moor is very eerie if you get it all to yourself.  It was the only part of the walk where it stopped raining and it was totally and utterly silent up there. No birds, cars, insects or anything. Thought I'd gone deaf.
178/214.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:45:17, 24/10/08 »
We're looking at Chrome hill at some point (a ridge I can probably cope with) now. Although we don't do pubs enroute. Mainly as I'm not the driver so it would be a tad unfair.

This feels like an episode of Time Team though as my original post was March 2007!  ;)
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

twiglegs

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy