Author Topic: Which type of backpack  (Read 1072 times)

Dai Summers

Which type of backpack
« on: 17:04:32, 26/01/19 »
I've had a look through the forum, and can't see anything that answers my question but if there is I apologise.  I am walking the South Downs Way (100 miles) over 4 days in May this year and am stopping in B&Bs along the way. I want to take as little as possible really, just underwear, toiletries, waterproofs, and flip flops, t-shirt and shorts for the evenings. I was looking for a little advice in terms of what sort of backpack I should buy for the walk. Any advice on that or even the walk more generally would be welcome.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Which type of backpack
« Reply #1 on: 17:48:20, 26/01/19 »

I have a deuter 35 which I find very comfortable, and which does for that kind of trip.  It's a bit heavy though.  I also have and Osprey talon 33, when none of the children have pinched it, but I don't find that so comfortable if it's full.  For a longer walk I have taken a lowe alpine 45/55, which again is very comfortable but probably bigger than you need.  I find it handy to have a bit of spare space though, it's easier to find stuff and there's plenty room for food etc.
The best thing to do is probably put everything you want to take together, go to an outdoor shop and see how big a sack you need to put it in.  |Then try on LOTS, with a bit of weight in, and see which you find most comfortable.  What suits one person doesn't always suit another.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:45:18, 26/01/19 »
I have a Lowe Alpine 35 that I've used on 'short' LDWs, would be perfect for you but as Islandplodder says you need to ensure whatever you buy is comfortable.
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:08:01, 26/01/19 »

Welcome to the forum, Dai Summers.

Basically, what the others have said - comfort comes first. Why not gather together all the items that you plan to take, to get some idea of what size you need?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

staggerindragon

« Reply #4 on: 19:39:01, 26/01/19 »
My Osprey Exos 38L has seen me through the North of England Way and other long distance walks.  I do hostels/B & Bs too.  It's both practical and comfortable and light enough for day walks.  Probably my best investment yet.

taxino8

« Reply #5 on: 21:19:25, 26/01/19 »
I’ve had my Lowe Alpine 35lt so long I can’t even remember what it’s called but it’s still going strong after over twenty years. Basically any 25-35 litre pack that you feel comfortable with should do.
« Last Edit: 05:46:33, 27/01/19 by taxino8 »

Nomad32

« Reply #6 on: 22:51:43, 26/01/19 »
I have a omm 38l and its great. Designed for mountain marithon so really light. Thumbs up

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 07:09:29, 27/01/19 »
It's a lot easier to pack, and more comfortable to carry, a rucsac that's a bit bigger than the minimum, rather than a smaller one that will fit everything but is crammed full
So shop around for something about 35l, give or take a couple of litres

Dai Summers

« Reply #8 on: 15:54:29, 27/01/19 »
Thanks so much for the replies and the welcome. I have ordered the Lowe Alpine 35l be will see how that goes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy