Author Topic: South Dows Way  (Read 1032 times)

tanzap

South Dows Way
« on: 17:10:04, 18/01/09 »
Has anyone done the South Downs way? how long did it take - it's about 100 miles so i'm guessing 3-4 days. What did you take with you and did you camp or stay in b&b's

johnny8b

Re: South Dows Way
« Reply #1 on: 09:26:28, 23/02/09 »
Hi
I did the SDW in late October last year but I walked from home (near Salisbury) to the start in Winchester which made the whole trip about 130 miles.  This took us 6 days at our moving average of about 3mph.  We did B&B's all the way (which we prefer) so the trick is to get them spaced out.  We did daily mileage of 24.5 max and min 16 but that was totally down to the accommodation available.

I would say the way to do it is Winchester to Eastbourne as the scenery just gets better and better.  This does mean doing the Seven Sisters / Beachy Head on the last day which we ended up doing in a hurricane. (brutal!)

A great hike - have fun.  Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Johnny  :)

Worthing Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: 09:42:25, 21/03/09 »
Took me 9 days in total as a bit of an amble!  I also did both permutations from Alfriston.  I completed as a set of day walks since I live in Sussex.  Read about my experience at http://worthingwanderer.blogspot.com/ [nofollow] . I hope this gives you some inspiration!

vish_shan

« Reply #3 on: 21:09:00, 25/03/09 »
Thinking of doing this way in bits and pieces as i stay in Kent.Lets see when i will start :-X

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy