Author Topic: Hadrians Wall  (Read 20435 times)

rshel

Re: Hadrians Wall
« Reply #60 on: 01:01:47, 25/03/08 »
8) Course I will Chris... as soon as i find some spare time to do it..... and do you want ALL the gory details!!??
But heres a pic of one of my fave places on the wall for you all to be going on with.

Great pic!  Did you sell it to the Hadrian's Wall National Trail website?  Because they have the same pic on their site now. 

Feriol

« Reply #61 on: 21:02:29, 12/12/08 »
Hi. Is there anybody here who still remembers me? missed you all (the explaination is short but very boring)

I Did it, back in august, was a fantastic experience. Got a few mates to do it, so was four lads, absolutely great. Having an interest in history, i found that side of it fascinating, the views when your away from the cities were fantastic. Made some great friends on the way, and there were people from all over the world visiting the wall. One german couple were even walking the entire length as we were. The atmosphere among fellow walkers and in the places we passed and stopped was lovely. I Intend to write up our experiences, but for now i just wanted to announce my return and brag a little  :)
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

BLU3

« Reply #62 on: 21:00:48, 23/02/09 »
I intend to do Hadrian's wall, west to east on the last week of July for charity. I'm starting to get the kit ready bit by bit.

If you walked the wall already, could you please tell me if I need walking poles or not? I have never walked with them, so don't know if they are really necessary or not.

I also wondered how cold it gets on the walk in the summer. I tend to need Siberian conditions befiore I wear a fleece but having never been there a bit of advice would be good.
Louise

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 23:25:27, 23/02/09 »
On the subject of poles - I always use two if I'm carrying a heavy pack, cos they save your knees, are, in effect, extra legs, and you can poke frisky cattle or point at interesting things with them(!). They get in the way a bit on stiles.   Its difficult to predict whether or not you'd get on with a pair, though.  Some people don;t like them. Could you borrow some to try them out? Or something?
As far as the temperature in summer. Hadrians Wall is a low level route , so the temperature won't be much different from the rest of England. It could be quite hot (for England) - say, 25+ degrees C. Or it could be chilly. Put the fleece in the rucksack just in case, but take the sunhat and the suncream too....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy