Author Topic: Vaude Poncho  (Read 747 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Vaude Poncho
« on: 12:54:18, 04/08/18 »
I was going to buy an Altus poncho; they have a built in rucksack  pouch, are long and fasten down the front.
Reading Gunwharfmans critiques on the Vaude, I instead went for one if them which was on sale.
Within a day it was out if warranty as my most patient wife saw me setting up her sewing machine. I had her make it a lot more fitting as it seemed to me to be huge compared to my older non trademarked blue nylon thing that had served me well for a tenner.  (Soon to be converted to dry bags etc.) Strengthened the clip that hold it down between the knees and added a velcro waist cinch.
On top of that she added a couple of straps (3mm paracord ) so that on days of changeable weather it can be strapped over my rucksack and pulled over my head in a hurry when needed.
I love my new , but improved Vaude.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Vaude Poncho
« Reply #1 on: 00:11:19, 05/08/18 »
Piccie…………..please
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

astaman

« Reply #2 on: 08:10:03, 05/08/18 »
Can I ask how your poncho performs in strong winds? I live in very windy Shetland and I worry about it whipping around my middle regions, or, worst case, launching me on the high road to Faroe or Iceland. Also, how well does the hood fit. They do sound interesting I must say.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:16:50, 05/08/18 »
The Vaude has a catch on the hem between the legs to stop the wind blowing it up over your face. On my old one I used a bit of elasticated cord around my waist on windy days so never had a problem that way. My wife has stiched a "belt" to the Vaude  that adjusts whether I have the back pack flap open or not.

The hood is a whole different question. It works as well as all the hoods on my rain jackets. If the weather is really awful I wear a cap underneath it.

The main thing about the poncho is its is a Jack of many trades. Groundsheet, tarp, modesty changing room, great waterproofing, reasonably ventilated due to its shape. Simple to deploy. Saves the faff of rain trews.

It isn't a great weight saver if you get a good one. It takes a bit of getting used to using one, jackets are a doddle because we are used to them. You need to break them in in your mind.
Have to say I do not truly like the hood. Mrs. Jimbob is thinking about improvements. First thought is to put a press stud fastening collar around the hood fastening under the chin and altering the drawstring positioning to pull the hood into the back of the head and around the ears leaving the top to cope with the wire stiffener and not be pulled over the forehead and eyes.
Jac. I won't be posting Piccies , but without committing myself to it may post a youtube video,  with help from one of my grandchildren when the work on the hood is finished.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:29:52, 05/08/18 »
I like it, a 'modesty changing room', I hadn't thought of that one!

What I also did was to put a full length of skirt weights, not sure of the proper name, which I bought from Hobbycraft. My wifes friend sewed it around the full circumference of the Poncho hem. It helps to keep the material from flapping up and down in wind. I have even thought of sewing in a double circuit of weights but have not done this yet.

Although I think that the Vaude is the best of the bunch, I still feel that the basic poncho design could be improved if someone took the trouble to think about it more.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:01:10, 05/08/18 »
I like it, a 'modesty changing room', I hadn't thought of that one!

What I also did was to put a full length of skirt weights, not sure of the proper name, which I bought from Hobbycraft. My wifes friend sewed it around the full circumference of the Poncho hem. It helps to keep the material from flapping up and down in wind. I have even thought of sewing in a double circuit of weights but have not done this yet.

Although I think that the Vaude is the best of the bunch, I still feel that the basic poncho design could be improved if someone took the trouble to think about it more.
Weights, great idea, need to get the sewing machine out again I see.
You are right about the poncho design, the problem with it is that it really is a one size fits all compromise solution. I really do like the Altus front fastening approach, but am loath to carry out such a big alteration to the Vaude. Maybe at some time in the future I may buy some rip-stop nylon and get Mrs Jimbob to start from scratch. :2funny:

astaman

« Reply #6 on: 12:04:52, 05/08/18 »
Thanks for the information - very helpful. Certainly food for thought.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy