Author Topic: Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.  (Read 4187 times)

scorpain

Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.
« on: 19:23:05, 17/08/18 »

Hello all,

I'm about go out on my very first solo hike and wild camp in a popular location for the north east: High Cup Nick.

It's a 5 mile hike, fairly simple hike up, it's even accessible on a modified wheel-chair.
There are alternate routes etc.

Anyway, currently absolutely skint.

I do well in the cold, prefer it if anything. My choice of clothing will be the following: (Argh can't post link or hyperlink :( )
Spada Explorer Jacket
Spada Explorer Trousers

Removable water proof lining and thermal lining. (How handy!)
They're actually quite cool to wear with no linings.

I use to wear these when I had my bike but they're just sat around now collecting dust.
I more than likely will wear these items anyway to get up there, change clothes at the top, wear these on the way down (Sweat)

I just want to make sure i'm not making one of the worst decisions EVER before a 5 mile hike up, then 5 down.

Thank-you all for your time!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Poor choice of clothing? - Biking gear.
« Reply #1 on: 20:43:19, 17/08/18 »
I dont know the clothing so hard to comment but for a 5 mile there and back in the summer then it's not gonna be life threatening.

Bike stuff isn't optimal for the hills just like visa versa but it isnt night and day either. I'm sure you'll be fine.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #2 on: 23:51:00, 17/08/18 »
Spada Bike kit is good value and practical for keeping warm / dry on a bike.. The jacket will be fine and quite practical but the trousers will be totally the wrong cut, I would worry about ventilation, on a bike you are sitting down so keeping dry is more important than air circulation, walking is the opposite so ventilation is top priority.. Also the cut will not be right for walking so Chaffing is very likely.. better off wearing a pair of light cotton trousers if you don't have any specific walking ones.
 so bike kit is for sitting down, walking kit is for .... walking..

If you want to try it though it's your choice but the best I can ay is put on plenty of talc and even take a small bottle with you. Just in case..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

zuludog

« Reply #3 on: 06:36:58, 18/08/18 »
I've searched Google for Spada, and just to be clear, it is motorbike clothing

For a short straightforward walk in summer you could wear just about anything, though depending on how heavy or close fitting the trousers are, you might think about swapping them for something lighter, even jeans

Still, there's only one way to find out - off you go, and if you want to do more, you can build up from there. Have fun!

What sort of footwear are you using? I can imagine motorbike boots being heavy & uncomfortable for walking. If you haven't got any trail shoes or light hiking boots, trainers would be OK

I've had several kinds of trousers for hiking, but now I mostly use a couple of sports/jogging type pants. One has a mesh lining, the other a fine brushed lining, like very thin fleece. I got them both from charity shops, for £2-50, and about  £5. They're excellent - comfortable, warm, and quick drying
« Last Edit: 06:50:43, 18/08/18 by zuludog »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:16:46, 18/08/18 »
You don't mention a tent :-\ are you intending sleeping under the stars - lovely if it's dry but ……...
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

scorpain

« Reply #5 on: 17:52:32, 18/08/18 »

Really appreciate the time yous took to check out what I was trying to link in.
You make absolute sense as well: Biking gear is for sit-down and relies on the speed to help keep you cool / ventilation
Yes I've got a tent (vango nyx 200) and sleeping bag (Downlight 900 lifeventure) - just finished ordering or buying the other basics (Beer, Kendal mint cake, marshmallows). Rather looking forward to this now!
So bought an [font=&amp]
Inflatable Lounger for this as well! Could potentially sleep on it - But don't quote me on that.

Thanks again all! I'll update here with what it was like

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:35:10, 18/08/18 »
I don't think that beer and Kendal Mint Cake go very well together! :o If I had to ditch one, even though I am not too far off tea total, I would ditch the Kendal Mint Cake!

tenmilesplus

« Reply #7 on: 19:02:02, 18/08/18 »
Really appreciate the time yous took to check out what I was trying to link in.
You make absolute sense as well: Biking gear is for sit-down and relies on the speed to help keep you cool / ventilation
Yes I've got a tent (vango nyx 200) and sleeping bag (Downlight 900 lifeventure) - just finished ordering or buying the other basics (Beer, Kendal mint cake, marshmallows). Rather looking forward to this now!
So bought an [font=&amp]
Inflatable Lounger for this as well! Could potentially sleep on it - But don't quote me on that.

Thanks again all! I'll update here with what it was like

I like your attitude, just get out there.. nice..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:10:37, 18/08/18 »
I would ditch the Kendal Mint Cake!
Nooooooo.  One of the best firelighters known to humanity.
Too little, too late, too bad......

scorpain

« Reply #9 on: 22:42:25, 18/08/18 »
😂 I thought it was THE thing for sugar? Either way it's in my first aid kit  Which I picked up from pound World. Before I get shot it was actually a really good buy:
Bandage
Antiseptic wipes x3
Gel pads x2
Loads of plasters
Few safety pins

Blown away by how good it is actually and only bought on a whim

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:12:18, 19/08/18 »
Don’t ditch the Kendal Mint Cake. You’ll never ever be hungry while you have it in your pack. Otherwise you would have to eat it.
Learn from nature, watch what flies eat - none of them ever eat Mint Cake but they do eat you know what so even that tastes better. Just think how many flies there are, they can’t all be wrong.

I’m intrigued as to which way you are going up the Nick if you think it is accessible by modified wheelchair unless said chair looks like a quad bike. :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:20:03, 19/08/18 »
I'm having a mental image of you chasing your inflatable lounger across the fells as it blows away when you get up  :D

scorpain

« Reply #12 on: 07:01:14, 19/08/18 »
4x4 Wheelchair Walk up High Cup Nick
I suppose it is closer to a 'quad' than a wheelchair.
For this first time though I'll just go the 'up one side, back down the other side' route from Dufton. Nothing to explorative on my first travel, then snag the hike for next time.

Absolutely can imagine trying to fill the lounger, losing grip and away it goes. In theory however, it'd beat taking a chair.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:37:44, 19/08/18 »
So just to clarify things,
Are you actually going to walk this route or drive a powered vehicle???  :-\
It would be much easier to fly over on a microlight  O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:09:37, 19/08/18 »
So just to clarify things,
Are you actually going to walk this route or drive a powered vehicle???  :-\
It would be much easier to fly over on a microlight  O0

Apparently it can be done, bet it was hairy in places.  Wouldn't have liked to have tried it on the old route that avalanched away a few years back.
http://theoutdoorguide.co.uk/walks/wheelchair-friendly-walks/dufton-to-high-cup-nick/
If memory serves, I wouldn't like to try the far side though.  I can remember a stile halfway along- not sure if there was a matching gate.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy