Author Topic: Berghaus AQ2 jacket crinkly after waterproofing  (Read 3548 times)

clairebear76

Morning all!
I rewaterproofed my coats last week and this morning has been my first chance to wear any of them in the rain. As it’s still pretty warm I wore my Berghaus RG1 jacket (AQ2 fabric). The waterproofing appears to be ok, the rain was beading on the surface, but the fabric was going crinkly looking. It’s drying now but still looking a little crinkly/wrinkly, like it needs ironing. Have I done anything wrong with the waterproofing process? I used my friends washer as mine doesn’t go down to 30 degrees, used Nixwax Tech Wash first, and then Nikwax wash in waterproofer afterwards. I wasn’t able to let them start drying straight away as we were putting up curtain poles while the washer was on (that’s a whole other story!) and had some tea but as soon as I got home I unpacked them and put them on hangers to dry.
Thanks in advance 😊

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Berghaus AQ2 jacket crinkly after waterproofing
« Reply #1 on: 12:17:17, 25/08/18 »
I've no experience of the Berghaus RG1 jacket but have used both Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct on various items with differing fabrics and had no problems at all.

Did you clean both in and around the soap dispenser tray of your friend's washing machine to remove any remnants of old detergent or fabric conditioner before you ran the wash cycle with the Tech Wash? If not it's possible that you may have picked up some old detergent or conditioner contaminants which have adversely effected the fabric.

As you can't make the situation any worse I'd recommend that you try hand washing the jacket in a large clean plastic bucket with the Tech Wash and see if it improves. When the jacket's fully dry test it under the shower to simulate the rain and see if it improves the situation. I know hand washing sounds like a pain but I honestly find it as quick if not quicker than machine washing when you take the time it takes to clean the washing machine before you begin and I find it gives better longer lasting results.

Nikwax Tech Wash

Use gloves.
   Immerse item(s) in 6L hand-hot water in a clean sink, bucket or bowl.
   Use 150ml in medium/hard water* areas and 100ml in soft water areas for 1-2 items.
   Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.   
   Rinse at least 3 times in clean water.
   * If your kettle furs up you have hard water. For extreme hard water use 200ml.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4

Nikwax TX.Direct

Use gloves to avoid waterproofing your hands.
   Immerse 1 clean garment in 6L of hand-hot water in clean sink, bucket or bowl.
   Add 50ml of TX.Direct®.
   Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
   Rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
   Allow to air dry. NB tumble drying is not required to make Nikwax products work.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=3

Berghaus washing instructions are here https://www.berghaus.com/waterproof-jackets/how-to-wash-a-waterproof-jacket.html
and http://community.berghaus.com/knowledge-advice/washing-waterproof-jackets/

Hopefully someone who owns an RG1 Jacket will post their experiences.
« Last Edit: 12:26:48, 25/08/18 by kinkyboots »

clairebear76

« Reply #2 on: 12:34:06, 25/08/18 »
Thanks for the reply! The detergent tray was clear as she uses the pods that go straight in the drum with the washing. I thought about redoing them in a bucket like you said, just for peace of mind really. Not sure whether to redo the wash stage or just reproof? The forecast is for rain tomorrow again so I might try my other jacket and see how that reacts. That’s a Berghaus too but it’s a GoreTex one that I use for colder weather.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:44:49, 25/08/18 »
If you didn't run a rinse cycle with an empty washing machine before you washed you may have picked up some contaminants from within the washing machine.

You can't just reproof with TX Direct without first redoing the Tech Wash to remove any possible contaminants on the fabric before you use the TX Direct.

I've just seen a very old thread on Outdoors Magic forum relating to Berghaus Aquafoil (possibly an early version of AQ2?) where someone had reported similar crinkling of the fabric quickly followed by delamination of the fabric - they ended up taking the item back.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:04:32, 25/08/18 »
I've had slight crinkling on some fabrics with it. It's funny stuff. Supposedly a mix of a glue compound and wax in suspension. How it deposits on the fibres seems to depend on the fabric. Some it works OK, some it doesn't, no matter how hard you try.

When it crinkled it also made the fabric feel softer too and not in a good way - it lost that slippyness you get on a new jacket. A couple of washes in the Tech Wash seemed to help stiffen and smooth it - maybe it deposits too heavily sometimes. Worth a try.

I prefer the spray on proofers for membrane based shells myself.

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 23:30:09, 25/08/18 »
Guh, all this effort and processes seem a bit busy. When you've spent big money on a decent brand then have to spend more money on special products, thoroughly clean your washing machine and run 2 more washes just to make your waterproof jacket waterproof again....was it all worth it?
Think it's about time these brands made lasting waterproofing and guarantee proof for 5 years minimum.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:40:23, 25/08/18 »
Guh, all this effort and processes seem a bit busy. When you've spent big money on a decent brand then have to spend more money on special products, thoroughly clean your washing machine and run 2 more washes just to make your waterproof jacket waterproof again....was it all worth it?
Think it's about time these brands made lasting waterproofing and guarantee proof for 5 years minimum.

That would be great but it's only getting worse now they are phasing out PFCs. Hopefully nano technology will come to the rescue.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy