Author Topic: TR Tavy Cleave & Lynch Tor (or getting lost a lot and trespassing a bit)  (Read 4240 times)

alewife

• Veteran Member
Brilliant, really loved your report, reminds me a bit of my mum (who lives 270 odd miles away)
A typical phone call
Mum: - are you still walking
Me yes mum
Mum I know that you daft sod I mean are you still going into those hills and walking
Me yes mum
Mum what happens if you get lost? ...........

I missed this first time round. It (and LMOOHs reply) made me laugh.

On the other hand I saw my 2 boys on Monday and told them excitedly about the Crib Goch trip.

The eldest just said ' Mum, how old are you?' , sounding more like my father than I care to remember. 

The younger one just wittered on that I had told him not to do a bungie jump.

Kids eh. Worse than mothers any day. ;D
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Thanks guys, really enjoyed this.  ;D

And a good, entertaining report LMOOH. Loved it.  O0

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
one of my favourites, though I usually start from Lydford these days

though I was slightly put out last time i got to my favourite swimming spot in the cleeve to find there were 2, yes two, families already there....fortunately did have cossy (to cover 70 years wear and tear, not anything exciting)

should get there again week following June 18th - anyone around to join up with?

BTW, what is trespassing?

'Trespassing':  following a green line faithfully until finding oneself in a wood which should not be there, have to backtrack while watching over one's shoulder for angry farmer with gun until coming to fixed object e.g. river which can follow until it at last becomes clear where one is, and it's access land, woohoo!
Hi Crisscross and welcome. A group of us are going to be at Betty Cottles on the 18th for a bit of a trek. It's a family affair with kids and dogs if that's your sort of thing?
Alewife, kids as well as mothers? I'd probably go insane  :D :D

crisscross

Hi Crisscross and welcome. A group of us are going to be at Betty Cottles on the 18th for a bit of a trek. It's a family affair with kids and dogs if that's your sort of thing?
Alewife, kids as well as mothers? I'd probably go insane  :D :D

How very kind of you to invite me to your trek. I might very well take you up if its pm :) ; I expect to leave Truro district, er when I have got place back as I found it and its on my way back that I usually pop in to Tavy Cleeve before going down to friends in South Brent. Delaying going home as long as possible!!! A long time since I did anything further north on the moor. More kids and dogs the better, could make me feel decades younger; worth a try anyway. Time?

I can confirm the horror of my daughter trying to organise me and keep me in order when I went to Canada with daughters but not wife (agghh must give up memories as I realise things were decades ago not years).

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
Probably starting at about 9.30 am on the 18th, nothing fixed for the 19th yet but we'll still be around. 

crisscross

Probably starting at about 9.30 am on the 18th, nothing fixed for the 19th yet but we'll still be around.

I don't think I can get to Betty Cottles that early on 18th. Perhaps I will do my usual Lydford>Tavy Cleeve>Lydford (http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/dartmoor [nofollow]) in the afternoon if fine. Also will be off web 10th-18th unless neighbours will let me log in to theirs.

Then staying in South Brent night of 18th onwards which looks a bit at the other end of the moor, but if you post plans for 19th, I will be back on the web at my friends at South Brent and see if your rendezvous for 19th is in reach.

You seem a very friendly jolly crowd on this forum, so worth trying to meet up.....creeping up to my 25 posts and can then suggest meets up my way (Malvern Hills http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/malvernhills [nofollow] )

Glyders

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed your trip report LMOOH, very funny and entertaining O0

I can't see what's wrong with getting lost anyway - how the hell do you discover anything new unless you get lost :D

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed your trip report LMOOH, very funny and entertaining O0

I can't see what's wrong with getting lost anyway - how the hell do you discover anything new unless you get lost :D

Well exactly  :)  I discovered a lot of that annoying humpy grass and got some navigation practice in. Also probably saw more of the view while I was staring around me in wonder !  O0

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
Great photos .. . .and a great place to be walking :)
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy