Author Topic: Don't Lose Your Way campaign  (Read 9293 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Don't Lose Your Way campaign
« Reply #45 on: 10:23:04, 08/03/20 »
I am not suggesting a conspiracy, but remembering the way the CLA managed to hog the No. 10 questionnaire on the rights of way issue, when David Cameron was in situ, I am certain that the landowners propaganda is far more effectively channeled to their grass roots membership than information gets to the leisure users of the countryside.

As a one time chairman of an NFU group of branches I have first hand experience of how an article in weekly periodical can lead to a furore of activity, country people are closer to such magazines as they are read at the breakfast table after early morning routines then thought about during long periods of working on their own. Now the CLA has had 20 years free rein influencing the farming press since the CRoW Act, without effective counter argument. They have persistently pushed out the message that Lostways are an irrelevance, only likely to cause property owner unnecessary expense to stop a rambler walking through their new build and are running scared of the extent of the exposure of the Corruption of the Definitive Map by their predecessors.

If we cannot see those filled in squares, how can we know that the these square have been filled in to the full extent of local knowledge. I have tried emailing the ramblers in the past but never seem to get past automatic responses or the need to buy membership. Frankly that would just give me less pension to explore the countryside.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 11:12:58, 08/03/20 »
You have to get there first, crack on.  Since each report is assigned to the person who did it and there has to be more than one check to grey out a square, it would be possible to check the input of a user and discount it if it was blatantly wrong.  I have not come up against any black holes yet.
Thanks for this. Will crack on then.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 17:11:35, 08/03/20 »
....with now the threat of being made permanent if nothing is done by 2026.

I'm not too worried about that, to be honest - the Tories won't be in power forever, and a future parliament could re-open the issue. Or give us Scottish land access rights.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 12:47:44, 09/03/20 »

I'm not too worried about that, to be honest - the Tories won't be in power forever, and a future parliament could re-open the issue. Or give us Scottish land access rights.
I'm sure they won't be and yes it could be revisited, but don't forget that the CROW Act was introduced by a Labour government. I would welcome Scottish land access rights in England but I doubt these would be as simple to bring in especially in primarily arable areas.
Had an email from the Ramblers this morning. Apparently 50% of England & Wales now completed, with the Isle of Wight totally completed first, with Cornwall, Derbyshire & Hampshire nearing completion. I must do a few more squares O0
If we cannot see those filled in squares, how can we know that the these square have been filled in to the full extent of local knowledge. I have tried emailing the ramblers in the past but never seem to get past automatic responses or the need to buy membership. Frankly that would just give me less pension to explore the countryside.
I think that the third person checking each square will be completed by trust worthy people rather than just relying on the general volunteers, and I am sure if they find a corruptive influence when checking that persons completed squares they will be eliminated. It would of course be good if every square was completed by those with local knowledge and that is what motivated me initially to complete certain squares, but some favourite areas are now gone, which is I hope good news. You (BWW) have demonstrated great insight into lost ways with your posts and I think you're the perfect person to hit those squares in your area. If that involves a little additional interpretation and creativity then so be it. I cannot see that demonstrating an obviously lost way can be at odds with the essence of this exercise.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 15:34:21, 10/03/20 »
You (BWW) have demonstrated great insight into lost ways with your posts and I think you're the perfect person to hit those squares in your area. If that involves a little additional interpretation and creativity then so be it. I cannot see that demonstrating an obviously lost way can be at odds with the essence of this exercise.
Thanks Andies O0
I have now registered and have started to fill in a few squares, jotting down the square with a 4 fig OS reference no. of the map as I go along. On the one I have my doubts about I have emailed the ramblers, with an explanation and have received an automated reply with a reference no. so it looks like follow up is possible.

Be interesting to see where things go from here.
BWW

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 12:30:51, 14/03/20 »
Completed a few more squares this morning O0

mad dug

« Reply #51 on: 00:27:00, 26/03/20 »
I've been plodding away on my local area mapping for a few weeks and found quite a few lost paths so hopefully it turns out to be a worthwhile venture.
When i tried to log in tonight it says England and Wales has now been completed in 6 weeks.
Just wondering if it took the Ramblers just 6 weeks to have a survey completed, why the heck could these lost paths not have been found and properly recorded by the government decades ago ? 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 08:14:06, 26/03/20 »
"WE'VE MAPPED ALL OF ENGLAND AND WALES!"

"Thousands of people have joined the search for lost paths, and together we have mapped all of England and Wales in just six weeks, an amazing achievement. We’re now checking through all the data and soon we’ll be able to announce how many lost paths we have found, and our plans to save them for future generations."

From the website - well done everyone who has contributed.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 10:05:46, 26/03/20 »
"WE'VE MAPPED ALL OF ENGLAND AND WALES!"

"Thousands of people have joined the search for lost paths, and together we have mapped all of England and Wales in just six weeks, an amazing achievement. We’re now checking through all the data and soon we’ll be able to announce how many lost paths we have found, and our plans to save them for future generations."

From the website - well done everyone who has contributed.

Frankly I don't believe it.  The total area may be covered but I very much doubt that every lost path has been reported.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 11:55:17, 26/03/20 »
Frankly I don't believe it.  The total area may be covered but I very much doubt that every lost path has been reported.
Neither do I.
What this exercise will show are the ways left off the Definitive Map, which the OS recorded in there editions between 1880 and 1949. Mainly because landowners had influence on Parish an County Councils and did not wish to follow the dictates of an Act of Parliament.

There are ways to infer from this unique record how people moved around the countryside due to the needs of the time. Also it is reasonable to suppose that they did this without the express permission of the freeholder, as many ways seem to cross boundaries of freehold.
What are the ways that have been lost between 1949 and 2020, base on the needs that have not been recognized, but have evolved with changing times and types of use.
Also in explaining the access network a past landowner leader described the network as made up of 'old ways to work'. In the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries the  Grand houses set in landscaped Parkland were the primary employers in the countryside, yet the drives to these old places of work do not appear as Public Rights of Way, yet they are often set in excessive areas of privacy occupying many acres of our countryside and forcing the use of unsuitable roads.

« Last Edit: 11:59:27, 26/03/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 14:01:28, 01/04/20 »

To be fair, I don't think that that is what they are claiming.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 16:39:29, 01/04/20 »

To be fair, I don't think that that is what they are claiming.
Or even trying to do.  They were only scavenging lost FPs and roads from the old OS and Barts maps
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 12:11:22, 02/04/20 »
Or even trying to do.  They were only scavenging lost FPs and roads from the old OS and Barts maps
In doing so they are exposing the level the Definitive Maps was Corrupted, now can it be interpreted to a level that shows incompetence by the authorities responsible for the compilation enough to get a political solution to improving access.

The landowner, who wrote that we have the best access network in the world, lives in an area where there are 11 square miles without an off road Right of Way and is influential in local and national policy.

Today the people of Shrewsbury are tightly locked into a Town surrounded by at least 6 estates passed on to family heirs for generations, all could open ways that were used by our ancestors, but they are too conditioned by their class to be able to understand their sociopathic behaviour.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 11:28:39, 03/02/21 »
I wonder how many are looking at the completed map with a little local knowledge. I am discovering some significant errors. Is it due for a number of compilers more eager to complete squares rather than thinking about the details the maps were comparing?

Before I was even aware of the Corruption of the Definitive Map or knew anything about Lostways, I was walking across the Breiddens on the Shropshire/Welsh border. Dropping off Rodney's Pillar into the Bytherig, I followed a right of way across a beautiful sloping permanent pasture, looking down onto the River Severn. This approach should be the best crossing of the Welsh border for a walker by a Bridge called the Maginnis Bridge. The bridge has been recorded but sadly this fragment of approach has been missed together with a few others, which really put the meaning into a corridor of countryside.

I hope the Ramblers make it open for editing, I have heard little about the opportunities these lostways could offer. Yet I have walked many cross county ways, which should be on the map if the dots had been green and not grey or blank.
BWW

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #59 on: 17:41:03, 03/02/21 »
I've now looked at the Ramblers map where the lost ways are marked by blue dashed lines (when you zoom in). In my area SK22, most of them are relatively trivial. The map shows two paths that have now been submerged under the Kinder Reservoir! Presumably the 1890s map paths have just been overlaid onto the latest map. Some editing is need here and perhaps elsewhere?
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy