Author Topic: National Geographic Film - Free Solo  (Read 6351 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
National Geographic Film - Free Solo
« on: 15:39:57, 13/12/18 »
I went to a preview showing of this on Tuesday evening and I believe it is shortly to be on general release.  
Because of the nature of the film it won't be at your local 'Roxy' anytime soon but perhaps some discerning venues will show it.  

It is a documentary about Alex Honnold and his bid to be the first person to free climb 'Free-rider' on Yosemite's El Capitan. What this means is that he attempts to climb an extremely difficult rock face that is over 3000' high (sheer granite) without ropes or any artificial aid.  
It is more than just a film about a climb, it is about us and our spirit that gets us into the hills and wild places.  

The filming is absolutely stunning and even as a climber the first five minutes were almost making me feel dizzy/sick - just looking at what he was doing, so high above the valley floor.  
Even if you don't have any interest in rock climbing (Mrs IM doesn't and she was impressed) it's worth seeing just for the views of Yosemite.  

Here is the official National Geographic trailer and contrary to how Hollywood often publicise films, these aren't just the best bits - the bulk of the film is like this all the way through.  

One mistake and that's it.   As somebody in the film says - " it's like going into the Olympics to win gold and if you don't win gold, you die"  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

It's my recommendation for the week and possibly the most impressive film involving rock climbing/mountains I've ever seen.
If you get chance to see it, I hope you enjoy it too.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: National Geographic Film - Free Solo
« Reply #1 on: 20:22:11, 13/12/18 »
It sounds a great film, I had tickets for a screening in liveLiver on Tuesday but work got in the way , have to wait a few weeks.  The trailer scared me half to death.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:32:25, 13/12/18 »
I had seen info about this somewhere along with a trailer. I'm not sure if you have to be a bit bonkers to do stuff like this.

I am assuming he survived and what an athlete he is to be able to climb all that way up with no aids. I won't be able to watch it mind, I get too anxious watching stuff like this, it makes me feel ill  :-[
Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:40:10, 14/12/18 »
.........I'm not sure if you have to be a bit bonkers to do stuff like this.

Most definitely  O0   
I think almost all people who are exceptional (i.e. considered a genius in their particular field) have that characteristic. Be it musicians (e.g. Mozart) or just rock climbers.
Perhaps in an inverse sort of way I can prove I'm not mad - because I'm only a crap climber   :D    
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Maggot

« Reply #4 on: 10:44:36, 16/12/18 »
I am off to see this at The Watershed in Bristol next weekend sometime O0    https://www.watershed.co.uk/whatson/9474/free-solo/

I used to do loads of climbing, and sometimes did some freeclimbing, at times nearly to a height of 20 or 30 feet before I would lose my bottle (or see sense) and get down, so I know exactly what he was at  ;D ;D

Awesome athlete, and these guys and girls who do this are amazing.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:05:15, 16/12/18 »
He appeared on the one show last week. Hell, and I thought waking across crib goch was an adrenalin rush 😮. Just watched this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wjmIFlnNo

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:45:26, 16/12/18 »

My heart was in my mouth just watching the trailer! What an achievement.

But soooo risky, just one mistake or broken hold away from certain death.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Maggot

« Reply #7 on: 22:39:09, 16/12/18 »
This is worth a watch..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA  especially 1m 13s  :o

There are quite a few of these guys, sadly though their stories all seem to end the same way  :(

Petrolhead

« Reply #8 on: 15:33:49, 17/12/18 »
Good post IM. I've not seen it yet but I've been aware of Alex's incredible climbs for a while. Looking forward to watching it. 

Having stood next to El Cap, it's amazing that people even manage to get up there let alone to free solo it. It's incredibly imposing in the flesh, just a huge slab. The first ascent took something like 40 to 50 days. And now Alex can do it FS in, what was it around four hours? I think he does it in two with equipment. Incredible achievement, and utterly insane in my opinion.

If you've not seen Alex doing his TED Talk, it's WELL worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:25:23, 18/12/18 »
.....And now Alex can do it FS in, what was it around four hours?

Correct, just slightly under four hours. And 45 minutes ahead of his anticipated time.
There is one unbelievable section in the film shot by the guy at ground level with a large telescopic lens - who you see in the trailer (turning away and covering his eyes): I won't spoil it for anyone who may yet see it, but there is a moment of sheer farce ...... It's early morning and not long after the sun rises. About an hour 'ish into the climb and watch what happens when he is able to speed up by traversing across a pretty narrow ledge  :o
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Petrolhead

« Reply #10 on: 10:31:52, 18/12/18 »

Correct, just slightly under four hours. And 45 minutes ahead of his anticipated time.
There is one unbelievable section in the film shot by the guy at ground level with a large telescopic lens - who you see in the trailer (turning away and covering his eyes): I won't spoil it for anyone who may yet see it, but there is a moment of sheer farce ...... It's early morning and not long after the sun rises. About an hour 'ish into the climb and watch what happens when he is able to speed up by traversing across a pretty narrow ledge  :o

Really looking forward to seeing it. It's amazing how casual he seems about everything he does. I mean, I'm sure he's not at all but he just looks so calm and relaxed. I guess it's the mindset you need to be able to attempt such things.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:50:53, 18/12/18 »
I don't want to be judgemental or make any wrong assumptions but the film hints that he has a degree of autism (apologies if I am wrong): He certainly has some 'filter' in his brain that allows him to do this which would leave us with a deposit in our underwear.
His focus is obvious and at one point he is seen (before the climb takes place) imagining the moves in sequence and reciting them. He recalls not only the move but the rock features necessary to make the move. I believe that is an indication of his 'genius'. He certainly is very intelligent.
Despite his focus he is extremely laid back/chilled out. He comes across as a really nice guy and not at all arrogant.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:45:14, 18/12/18 »
I watched the trailer with increasingly wet palms  :o and decided that seeing the whole film would not help me overcome my fear of heights and drops.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:04:45, 18/12/18 »
I watched the trailer with increasingly wet palms  :o and decided that seeing the whole film would not help me overcome my fear of heights and drops.
Funny you should say that, I watched the film with increasingly wet pants  :D

Note:- edited for comic effect.
« Last Edit: 22:31:51, 18/12/18 by Innominate Man »
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:53:50, 18/12/18 »

Funny you should say that, I watched the film with increasingly wet undies

:buck2: :2funny:

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy