Author Topic: National Geographic Film - Free Solo  (Read 6348 times)

Maggot

Re: National Geographic Film - Free Solo
« Reply #15 on: 20:35:55, 03/03/19 »
It's on National Geographic channel as we speak!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:29:52, 03/03/19 »
Drat !
In a money saving binge last year we dropped the Sky subscription. I haven't really missed it - until now !
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

MarkT

« Reply #17 on: 15:26:41, 04/03/19 »
I watched it over the weekend and what a guy and what a mountain to climb. Very very good indeed.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:05:10, 04/03/19 »
Watched it at the local cinema with my 12 year old son last Thursday - an astonishing achievement!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:29:19, 04/03/19 »
I believe it won an Oscar - so it isn't just us that thinks it's pretty darn good.
I just hope he isn't pressured into undertaking a sequel. It could just be a step too far.

There is one unbelievable section in the film shot by the guy at ground level with a large telescopic lens - who you see in the trailer (turning away and covering his eyes): I won't spoil it for anyone who may yet see it, but there is a moment of sheer farce ...... It's early morning and not long after the sun rises. About an hour 'ish into the climb and watch what happens when he is able to speed up by traversing across a pretty narrow ledge  :o

Did everyone spot the 'campers' on the ledge as Alex casually walked passed them ?  They must  have thought " What the **** "   ;D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:10:25, 04/03/19 »
Drat !
In a money saving binge last year we dropped the Sky subscription. I haven't really missed it - until now !

;D ;D ;D  Same thing's just happened to me!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:31:37, 04/03/19 »

;D ;D ;D  Same thing's just happened to me!
Mrs I has a colleague at work who reported enjoying watching it on National Geographic too. Despite us not seeing it on TV she was able to say we at least saw it at the pictures prior to general release. Which is nice !
But, despite the advantage of the big screen (at the cinema) it would be good to record it and re-watch it again at leisure   :(
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:36:09, 05/03/19 »
Repeated on Monday 4 March - missed that one! - on Thursday 7 March at 13:00 - I've set my recorder for that! - and on Friday 8 March at 20:00. And there's a +1 hour channel.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:51:41, 24/05/19 »

I caught Free Solo on Channel 4 last night.
If I'm honest I was a little bit disappointed.  The trailer was all about the climb, but that was a smaller part of the film than I expected.  There was a lot of chat, a lot of his girlfriend (though her take on the whole thing was interesting) and I thought that they could have put in a bit more about the rock and a bit less of him putting the fridge together and trying to look normal and domestic.
And for anyone worried about watching it, I have the worst head for heights in the world, and if you managed to get through watching the trailer, you won't have any bother with the rest of the film.
Worth a look though.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:33:50, 24/05/19 »
I caught Free Solo on Channel 4 last night.
If I'm honest I was a little bit disappointed.  The trailer was all about the climb, but that was a smaller part of the film than I expected.  There was a lot of chat, a lot of his girlfriend (though her take on the whole thing was interesting) and I thought that they could have put in a bit more about the rock and a bit less of him putting the fridge together and trying to look normal and domestic.
And for anyone worried about watching it, I have the worst head for heights in the world, and if you managed to get through watching the trailer, you won't have any bother with the rest of the film.
Worth a look though.
I saw it too and was disappointed...... but understandably - that the whole imagery was slightly less impressive on the TV.
Fortunately the cinema showing allowed it to be appreciated in all it's splendour.
Mind you our TV is pants !
I didn't mind the man behind the 'myth' side of it as it gave an insight into what it takes to do something like that.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:56:31, 24/05/19 »
I watched some of it on Channel 4 last night.
I was slightly disappointed, as the programme was a bit slow and ponderous, even though the subject matter interested me.
The programme could have been shorter, and more to the point of just how great an achievement it was to climb one of the worlds most challenging rock faces solo and unaided.
I did not realise El Capitan was so high, just 350ft lower than the height of Snowdon, that's a seriously high rock face.

I much prefer the documentaries about Alain Robert, the French free climber, who has coined the phrase URBAN FREE SOLO scaling most of the worlds tallest buildings, mostly without permission.

His film documentaries are so dramatic, that its compelling tv, when last nights Channel 4 programme was not as interesting as it could have been.

Just check out his You Tube Video titled "Inside Tour Total"   Totally nuts !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 16:11:06, 24/05/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:50:49, 24/05/19 »
Well I really enjoyed it. Better on the big screen, but still gripping on the TV. The drone shots near the end are stupendous.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:35:55, 25/05/19 »
I watched the trailer with increasingly wet palms  :o and decided that seeing the whole film would not help me overcome my fear of heights and drops.
Since I gave up serious rock climbing, I have found I take little interest in watching these films. But Jac's remark has prompted a wry smile, it was Royal Robbin's film or talk on his ascent that introduced me to the practice of using chalk, whilst climbing. Though I never used it myself, it has become so overused now that, I often speculate that is more affectation than aid.

His reason for using it was the condition Jac mentions, but his reason was the heat, the type of holds and nature of rock. He also considered destroying the climb, I think, because of the increasing amount of ironware being hammered into it by the less skilled, who wished to claim the ascent.

Ironic now, with the free use of chalk, it's use is almost obligatory because the free use has engrained into the rock of many traditional climbs first ascended by those, who did not know of it.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy